Diagnosed Type 2 10 years ago now facing increased HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.
🙂

Odd that the expert did not pick up that you are eating porridge, cereals, fruit, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and oatcakes - but at least you have your meter to show you just how high you are spiking after eating them.

There's nothing like seeing double digits on the meter to motivate a change.
Hi @Drummer Thanks again for your thoughts and comments, which have been very helpful. They made me go back and look at my past results to try and make more sense of my situation and what may have caused the recent increase in blood sugar levels.

As mentioned previously in the thread, I'm of a body type where I can eat but not put on weight - basically I'm a skinny runt. When diagnosed in 2009, I was a little overweight at 63Kg. It took a couple of years to lose 4Kg but from 2011 to now my weight has been stable at around 58Kg and HbA1C between 44 and 50 until recently. Via the diet I mention, and exercise, I have maintained "remission", until recently. My diet was scrutinised by both hospital nutritionist and doctor. I checked back and, with this diet, only once have I had a double-digit finger-prick monitor reading on the '2-hour after eating' recovery test - that was 10.1 shortly after I was diagnosed. More typically it's below 7 - though recently 8+ and 9+ coinciding with the higher HbA1Cs (tonight it was 7.0 after a meal of rice, veg, chicken, an apple and glass of wine). These higher HbA1Cs are not associated with putting on weight. It seems like my body needs a steady flow of carbs and there's not much I can do about it. To be fair to my GP, it was in the knowledge of all this that she advised medication.

The mystery, is why now has my blood sugar gone up? Regarding diet - not much has changed - you mention fruit - thanks - one thing that HAS changed in that time is adding a few raspberries or blueberries to breakfast to get more vitamin C - so maybe that's it? The other thing is exercise - I have always found this a very important tool. Until summer 2017 I played football one hour a week, and now do fitness pilates instead, plus swim one lunchtime a week, walk a fair bit and do gardening. My blood sugar increase didn't occur until a year after I gave up football, but I wonder if there is a latent effect and I need to find something more energetic? Or maybe I'm just getting older and my body is less capable of managing...

Anyway, you kicked me back into more closely monitoring myself, which I will do for a bit, before starting the medication or going back to the GP if I see improvements via that monitoring. Thanks.

I have found over the years I have had to make changes to what i can tolerate.

Hi Nick, as I said earlier, similar sort of experience with me, even down to the weight!

The thing which keeps coming back to my mind is wondering if my pancreas function is deteriorating with age. After all most other things do. The other thing i have been wondering about is whether there is something going on on the other side of the equation, that is glucose production and absorption in the gut. The only thing I actually know is that keeping carb intake down and taking a minimal dose of gliclazide keeps me in single figures and HBA1c in a normal range. Quite why is a mystery and other than a broad relationship between meal time and BG, predicting the BG you will get from a test is all but impossible. For example, I have been running a bedtime BG of between 5.5 and 6 for a while now yet last night it was 4.3. No change in routine or food or anything. To me its a complete mystery largely because of a lack of characterisation of what is actually going on in my body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back