Diabox download v separate secondhand phone for Dexcom one

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have googled Diabox download and get a lot of results so no idea which is the correct link and which is bogus.

The alternative is to get a cheap secondhand phone just for Dexcom one; if I did this I would get a separate SIM card for the data to be able to run the Dexcom app or do I not need this? I'm not very technical as you can tell!

If you have enough data on your main phone, you can use tethering when out of range of WiFi (tell your main phone to share it's data either via Bluetooth or by acting as a mini WiFi transmitter).

I don't know which is the correct link though, sorry.

Were you not considering the separate handset for Dexcom One?

That sounded like a much cheaper and simpler option to me.

Whatever receiver device you have for CGM it needs to be close to the sensor order to receive the continuous data (and also sound the alarms), so whichever route you take you’d need to carry the device with you.

The only way I can see of reducing the number of devices you need to carry would be to upgrade your phone to one that supports whichever CGM you choose.

Were you not considering the separate handset for Dexcom One?

That sounded like a much cheaper and simpler option to me.

Whatever receiver device you have for CGM it needs to be close to the sensor order to receive the continuous data (and also sound the alarms), so whichever route you take you’d need to carry the device with you.

The only way I can see of reducing the number of devices you need to carry would be to upgrade your phone to one that supports whichever CGM you choose.
Yes I was but I am thinking maybe I would be better upgrading my phone but getting a phone that is compatible means getting a phone that might not be as good as the one I have (Sony Xperia 5). Most new phones they are bringing out I doubt that they have been tested for compatibly by the cgms by looking at the compatibility lists. Not sure about Libre 2.

GlucoRX appears to be cheaper than Dexcom one but that might be because only two sensors are supplied. Price is an important consideration with reliability and convenience.

GlucoRX appears to be cheaper than Dexcom one but that might be because only two sensors are supplied. Price is an important consideration with reliability and convenience.

I think Dexcom has the better reputation for reliability and accuracy between those two options.

I think Dexcom has the better reputation for reliability and accuracy between those two options.
Thank you however it's so expensive.

Even if I saved up for the three month bundle I still have to get a phone that is compatible as don't really want to spend an extra nearly £60 for a receiver. No idea how much the individual sensors are once the ones in the bundle have been used or can't you buy them individually.

@HalfpipMarathon my understanding regarding Dexcom bundles is that it includes a single transmitter and multiple sensors. The transmitter can be reused for multiple sensors - the number of sensors in the pack. Therefore, purchasing single sensors is of limited use as you will need a transmitter when you get to the end of your pack.
As with the Libre, you can take Dexcom breaks. You could wear a Dexcom for 10 days and learn loads from the information it provides regarding what affects your blood sugars. And then, take a 20 day break applying that knowledge before applying the next one and learning more.

This was the approach I took with the Libre when I was self funding to keep the costs affordable.

This review of GlucoRx is less than glowing?

@HalfpipMarathon my understanding regarding Dexcom bundles is that it includes a single transmitter and multiple sensors. The transmitter can be reused for multiple sensors - the number of sensors in the pack. Therefore, purchasing single sensors is of limited use as you will need a transmitter when you get to the end of your pack.
As with the Libre, you can take Dexcom breaks. You could wear a Dexcom for 10 days and learn loads from the information it provides regarding what affects your blood sugars. And then, take a 20 day break applying that knowledge before applying the next one and learning more.

This was the approach I took with the Libre when I was self funding to keep the costs affordable.
That makes sense. Is the sensor separate from the transmitter? If so is it easy to connect the two together before applying to your arm or one of the other recommended sites?

My dilemma is that by getting another phone I am not upgrading but downgrading as my current phone is quite new (Sony Xperia 5) but any phone I choose will be older than this.

The above is cheaper than getting a separate cheap secondhand phone just for the Dexcom.

Wondering if I should stick with Libre 2 and just use occasionally as self funding even though I would prefer a cgm rather than flash gm

Wond

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Dexcom One was roughly equivalent in price to Libre2

I self fund Dexcom G6, which is expensive.

Dexcom G7 is slightly cheaper than G6, but doesn’t work with my insulin pump.

You can buy sensors individually (which is what I do in between bundles). I also have good success and reliable data restarting each sensor once, so I run them for 20 days rather than 10 which halves the sensor cost. Not officially approved, but I wouldn’t be able to fund the sensors without doing that.

I thought Dexcom One was roughly equivalent in price to Libre2

I self fund Dexcom G6, which is expensive.

Dexcom G7 is slightly cheaper than G6, but doesn’t work with my insulin pump.

You can buy sensors individually (which is what I do in between bundles). I also have good success and reliable data restarting each sensor once, so I run them for 20 days rather than 10 which halves the sensor cost. Not officially approved, but I wouldn’t be able to fund the sensors without doing that.
How do you run them for 20 days when they only last 10?

Libre 2 starter pack is under £100 (can't remember exactly how much) contains 2 sensors.
Individual sensors @£48.29 although I found somewhere that sold them for £46.36

GlucoRX starter pack £99.85 contains 2 sensors also I think plus transmitter and various other things
Individual sensors £39.99 ( may have gone up)

Dexcom One 3 month bundles
No idea how much individual sensors are in between bundles.

The above two are cgm and for me possibly require either as change to my phone or a separate cheap secondhand phone.

Thank you however it's so expensive.
I must admit given your diabetes I wonder if any CGM is going to really be worth the money. For someone on insulin it's much easier to justify, but I get the impression you want it really to make sure you're still doing OK (so looking at Time in Range), and that (to me) doesn't feel like it's worth ~£100 a month compared to testing a couple of times a day with test strips (which should give an idea of where you are) together with HbA1c however often that's offered.

Dexcom one is £299 for 3 month bundle (3 months of Libre2 £48 per sensor at 14 day wear is £312). So even without trying to stretch things the Dex One bundle cost looks cheaper.

The Dex One transmitter will probably last approx 120 days if the same as for G6, and the 9 sensors could last up to 180 days if you restart the sensors (half a year). I restart by simple carefully levering out the transmitter, putting it in a different room for 10 - 15 minutes, then going through ‘start new sensor’ process reinserting the transmitter.

So you‘d want to check that you can buy sensors and transmitter separately to ‘fill in the gaps’ with Dex One?

Individual G6 sensors are £51 and transmitter £200. If they sell them individually Dex one may be cheaper.

Last edited:
I must admit given your diabetes I wonder if any CGM is going to really be worth the money. For someone on insulin it's much easier to justify, but I get the impression you want it really to make sure you're still doing OK (so looking at Time in Range), and that (to me) doesn't feel like it's worth ~£100 a month compared to testing a couple of times a day with test strips (which should give an idea of where you are) together with HbA1c however often that's offered.
Fair enough comment. However I hate finger pricking and it doesn't give me time in range like the Libre plus it's not as convenient. For example it's easier to scan when on the bus than finger pricking plus there's disposal of the used strip and lancet.

I think that it was my mental anguish over high readings which I was unable to do anything about which prompted my interest in a CGM so I didn't have to scan and unless my readings were too high or extremely low (very rare for me) I would be able to get on with my life and not worry about forgetting to scan as happens sometimes when I am at work.

Yes I am aware that I would still possibly have the same issue with cgm as with Libre 2 but in a different way.

Like you suggested in response to my original post about removing a Libre sensor early I removed it last Friday morning. I feel happier since I did it. I'm not sure when or if I will get another but one thing I am sure of is that I will not be telling anyone and certainly not posting about it.

Dexcom one is £299 for 3 month bundle (3 months of Libre2 £48 per sensor at 14 day wear is £312). So even without trying to stretch things the Dex One bundle cost looks cheaper.

The Dex One transmitter will probably last approx 120 days if the same as for G6, and the 9 sensors could last up to 180 days if you restart the sensors (half a year). I restart by simple carefully levering out the transmitter, putting it in a different room for 10 - 15 minutes, then going through ‘start new sensor’ process reinserting the transmitter.

So you‘d want to check that you can buy sensors and transmitter separately to ‘fill in the gaps’ with Dex One?

Individual G6 sensors are £51 and transmitter £200. If they sell them individually Dex one may be cheaper.
Okay thanks for your reply.

Dexcom One does appear cheaper. I managed to get a libre 2 sensor for £46.36 but even three months worth at that price would be expensive.

How easy is it to apply the transmitter and then detach it once the sensor has ended?

Maybe I should just not bother,? The reason why I test is to keep an eye on my bg levels to see if I am still in range which finger pricking doesn't give you but is the expense worth it?

You seem to feel you need to be finger pricking all the time but unless you are in the early days and are wanting to find out the effect of meals on your blood glucose so you can make better food choices or indeed if you are needing to do so to base insulin doses which you have not mentioned then to keep a regular check on progress then a morning reading would be sufficient.
You could do extra tests if you are introducing new foods or if you feel unwell but why would you need to test on a bus.
How have you been using your Libre readings? From all the data you have collected you must by now have a good repertoire of meals that are suitable and don't increase blood glucose without needing to be testing all the time.

Fair enough comment. However I hate finger pricking and it doesn't give me time in range like the Libre plus it's not as convenient. For example it's easier to scan when on the bus than finger pricking plus there's disposal of the used strip and lancet.
Perhaps a sensor every few months, then? For those two weeks you'd want to scan (at least) every 8 hours or so, and while you weren't wearing a sensor you wouldn't know what was happening. (While Dexcom One is a bit cheaper if you're using it all the time I'm not sure it would work out so well if you wanted to use one sensor every few months. (But for all I know it would. I just suspect there might be issues with the transmitter battery, whereas Libre 2 is simple to use in that way.)

You seem to feel you need to be finger pricking all the time but unless you are in the early days and are wanting to find out the effect of meals on your blood glucose so you can make better food choices or indeed if you are needing to do so to base insulin doses which you have not mentioned then to keep a regular check on progress then a morning reading would be sufficient.
You could do extra tests if you are introducing new foods or if you feel unwell but why would you need to test on a bus.
How have you been using your Libre readings? From all the data you have collected you must by now have a good repertoire of meals that are suitable and don't increase blood glucose without needing to be testing all the time.
I've been type 2 for almost 20yrs.

I wasn't testing to see how food affected me partly because I don't take insulin. I just wanted to see how my levels were doing. My Dr said it you don't test how do you know what your blood sugars are doing?. she said that if you had a reading of 15 for example you wouldn't then go and eat a cake.

Regards the bus I was using it as an example of the convenience of scanning that one could do so, not that one would purposely scan on a bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back