Diablo sugar free treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat.H

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 8 weeks ago and have been avoiding anything sugary (biscuits/sweets and cakes in particular) I have been bought some Diablo sugar free cookies and cream biscuits as part of my Fathers Day present. It looks like they are ok for diabetics, but could anyone confirm this? (I’m sure if they are it’s moderation in eating them?) and any recommendations on sweet treats that are ok. I have stuck to fruit for my sweet treats so far to help with weight loss. Thanks

I have never heard of this make, but I suggest you check in info on the package as some so called sugar free stuff can have a laxative effect.

Looks like there’s a warning on the packet about the laxative effect that is common with sugar free foods because of the sweeteners so I’d stick to one at a time and see how they go

Looks like there’s a warning on the packet about the laxative effect that is common with sugar free foods because of the sweeteners so I’d stick to one at a time and see how they go
Thanks, think that’s all I would have anyway as dont want to get into the habit of snacking on sweet treats, more of an occasional treat, but I dont want to eat them if they still have an effect on my diabetes, I’d rather stick to fruit

Thanks, think that’s all I would have anyway as dont want to get into the habit of snacking on sweet treats, more of an occasional treat, but I dont want to eat them if they still have an effect on my diabetes, I’d rather stick to fruit
Fruit can be very sugary so depending on what fruit you snack on there may not be much difference in how biscuits or fruit affect your blood sugar.

I remember looking those up once before and although sugar free they were actually quite high carb, I would check the packet for the TOTAL carbs per biscuit .

t I dont want to eat them if they still have an effect on my diabetes,
Everyone’s diabetes is different.
For example, some people have porridge every morning with no impact on their blood sugar levels but others have found it sends their sky high.

Looking at the total carbs ( all carbs turn to sugar so the “of which is sugar” is irrelevant) is a good indication but it is best to test yourself rather than relying on what someone says happens to them. As you say it is what happens to your diabetes that matters.

Everyone’s diabetes is different.
For example, some people have porridge every morning with no impact on their blood sugar levels but others have found it sends their sky high.

Looking at the total carbs ( all carbs turn to sugar so the “of which is sugar” is irrelevant) is a good indication but it is best to test yourself rather than relying on what someone says happens to them. As you say it is what happens to your diabetes that matters.
Thanks for the reply. I was told by the diabetes nurse I don’t need to monitor by blood sugars as I’m on metformin p, and this is the bit I’m finding difficult as I don’t know what effect the foods I am eating are having on the diabetes, I feel like I’m guessing to an extent and hoping it’s working

Fruit can be very sugary so depending on what fruit you snack on there may not be much difference in how biscuits or fruit affect your blood sugar.
I was told by the diabetes nurse that berries are fine (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries I tend to go for) apples and oranges or satsumas. I was told to watch how many bananas I eat as they are high in carbs so i make sure I do t eat too many of them. Are these fruits ok or any I should avoid?

I was told by the diabetes nurse that berries are fine (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries I tend to go for) apples and oranges or satsumas. I was told to watch how many bananas I eat as they are high in carbs so i make sure I do t eat too many of them. Are these fruits ok or any I should avoid?
You have got it about right, berries are lowest, apples, pears, oranges middleish but all tropical fruits pretty high, bananas are a no go for some people. Water melon is not too bad. But as you rightly say without testing you don't know how something will affect you, that is why many people do ignore the DON'T TEST and get themselves a blood glucose monitor , Inexpensive ones with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii or TEE2 available on line. The kit comes with only a few strips and lancets so you should buy more at the outset.
The other thing you may find useful is Carbs and Cals book or app as it gives carb values for a whole range of foods with portion sizes, it is my bible and allows better food choices.
Getting the carb info from Shop websites or the internet is also something which becomes habit. Make sure you look for the TOTAL carbs in the nutritional information.

You have got it about right, berries are lowest, apples, pears, oranges middleish but all tropical fruits pretty high, bananas are a no go for some people. Water melon is not too bad. But as you rightly say without testing you don't know how something will affect you, that is why many people do ignore the DON'T TEST and get themselves a blood glucose monitor , Inexpensive ones with the cheapest test strips are the GlucoNavii or TEE2 available on line. The kit comes with only a few strips and lancets so you should buy more at the outset.
The other thing you may find useful is Carbs and Cals book or app as it gives carb values for a whole range of foods with portion sizes, it is my bible and allows better food choices.
Getting the carb info from Shop websites or the internet is also something which becomes habit. Make sure you look for the TOTAL carbs in the nutritional information.
Thanks, that’s really useful and very helpful. I’ll look up that test you mentioned online and look at ordering one and the carbs and calls app looks like a must

Thanks, that’s really useful and very helpful. I’ll look up that test you mentioned online and look at ordering one and the carbs and calls app looks like a must
What I didn't say was that by testing before you eat and after 2 hours is the way to assess if your meal has been tolerated. The increase should be no more than 2-3mmol/l and as your levels come down then a post meal level of no more than 8-8.5 mmol/l. Before meals and fasting (morning reading) the range to aim at is 4-7mmol/l

I’ve seen that Diablo stuff in a large cheap ‘bazaar’ in Burnley and in a shop called Grape Tree this weekend. The carbs are ‘polyols’ which don’t affect blood sugar, apparently, as they aren’t absorbed.

I didn’t bother with them - prefer to just have some real dark chocolate.

I’ve seen that Diablo stuff in a large cheap ‘bazaar’ in Burnley and in a shop called Grape Tree this weekend. The carbs are ‘polyols’ which don’t affect blood sugar, apparently, as they aren’t absorbed.

I didn’t bother with them - prefer to just have some real dark chocolate.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve just been reading that high cocoa content dark chocolate is ok, it seemed to say 70% or higher….any you can recommend?

I was bought some similar ‘diabetic’ products (chocolate and biscuits etc) soon after diagnosis by well-meaning relatives (before the law was changed to make that description illegal).

Personally I found them largely unhelpful. they gave me very unpleasant wind (as the undigested sugar alcohols passed through my gut), and actually weren’t very nice.

Plus as others say it isn’t only the sucrose that affects blood glucose levels.

I decided that if I was going to have that sort of thing as an occasional treat, I should stick to the ‘real deal’ and just take and glucose disruption on the chin.

I like Montezuma the most, but also like a Guylian one, one I get from Waitrose whose name escapes me and Green and Blacks. The Co-Op do one that's quite. Oh, Hotel Chocolat is good as well.

The ALDI one I've had is OK.

It's quite calorific so you don't need much of it (And it's high in saturated fats.)

@Leadinglights - oranges are more or less a tropical fruit. Yes they grow em in Spain and Portugal as well as eg Israel because it has to be stinking hot for a lot of the time (and a good supply of non salinated (if not completely potable) water.. Lack of stinking heat/water = poor harvest wherever the tree is.

@Leadinglights - oranges are more or less a tropical fruit. Yes they grow em in Spain and Portugal as well as eg Israel because it has to be stinking hot for a lot of the time (and a good supply of non salinated (if not completely potable) water.. Lack of stinking heat/water = poor harvest wherever the tree is.
According to my Carbs and Cals they are less carbs than apples or pears.

According to my body, though, they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back