Diabetic patient died after nurses failed to give her insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no i cant read it , is they a link anywhere else ? scotty

pretty bad I would say.............poor woman.........:(

Article

Try the link above Steffie..

I think it is appalling, when i was doing my training and as a qualified nurse, we always took notes about EVERY patient on the ward, whether it was a 12 bed unit or a 30 bed ward..

Thanks Scotty.

This story sends shivers down my spine, what an awful thing to happen to this woman and her family,theres never any excuse for a death like this and the staff at the hospital should be struck off and never be able to practice in the medical preofession again.name and shame them i say .😡😡:(

ty squidge x

id just like to add the staff who said they were to busy to check her notes AT THE END OF HER BED fgs should be well ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:
When my mom was diagnosed, A nurse checked her blood and said that her levels were fine and that she didnt need any insulin. (she was at that point onto Mixtard insulin)

Its a good thing she was raised along side another diabetic and knew that she did deffo need it. anyone else would have believed the nurse.

An absolutely appalling and tragic case!

........and this is an aboslutely incredible statistic:

"As many as 1,200 people are thought to have died at Stafford Hospital through neglect between 2005 and 2008."

Is there any wonder that such poor advice is given to people with diabetes when situations such as this are able to prevail within the NHS?

In my opinion, instead of simply accepting what we are told by the powers that be, we should all be out there campaigning to ensure that the standards of healthcare that we receive are improved to a totally different level.

John

This is one of my most deep rooted diabetes-related fears - being elderly, stuck in hospital and reliant on the staff there to care for my diabetes :( because, frankly, my experience to date does not inspire confidence!!!

What an awful story... horrible to say, but I wonder if the staff there managed to find time to have tea breaks, or where they really soooo busy they couldn't read the notes? Surely they should have had some kind of flagging system for patients requiring regular medications?! :confused:

I have a horrible feeling that in some places the quality of care seriously tails off the older you get... 😡 Awful, awful story. I'm no advocate for suing, but I'd make an exception for this case - maybe if they are so focussed on money it's the only way they will be made to pay closer attention... 😡

This is one of my most deep rooted diabetes-related fears - being elderly, stuck in hospital and reliant on the staff there to care for my diabetes :( because, frankly, my experience to date does not inspire confidence!!!

My thoughts exactly Twitchy, it terrifies me to be honest. When I was in hospital recently they were really good and left all my testing, jabs, adjustments totally up to me but the time before when I had ketoacidosis they took ages to set up an infusion and got a right telling off from the ward sister, then they tried to give me the wrong insulin and then they sited the IV wrongly and had to start all over again! Then the nurse had the nerve to say to my mum on the phone "she's not very good at being in hospital, is she?" I wish I had known which nurse it was, she'd have learnt a few home truths!

Thanks Scotty.

This story sends shivers down my spine, what an awful thing to happen to this woman and her family,theres never any excuse for a death like this and the staff at the hospital should be struck off and never be able to practice in the medical preofession again.name and shame them i say .😡😡:(
It IS an appalling thing to happen but why is it the nurses fault ? If you read the article they are quoted about having to stay late everyday to do everything they can. Why is this ? Because the management of the hospital is failing NOT the staff. Yes some nurses do seem to think they know more than you about Diabetes, but you just have to 'educate' them otherwise. Most are very hard working and have to suffer poor conditions and poor pay. It sounds like the management team at Stafford hospital want naming and shaming. The NHS trust according to the article where deficient in nearly every stage of the inquiry. Why are they allowed to get away with this and why have they not been replaced ?

by the looks of the article it seemed like nobody knew she was diabetic if they had looked at her notes would this not of told them that, thus then they would know to check her blood sugars/give her insulin.

If care in my local hospital is as good as the care I get from my GP, I don't want to go to hospital.

Some people at 60 are in full control of all of their faculties so would remind nurses and others don't have a clue what's going on. It is terrible when someone goes to hospital thinking they will be cured and then get something else go wrong...

Poor woman, I feel for her family. What a disgrace, no time to look at the notes at the bottom of her bed, makes me livid 😡.

A smiliar thing happend to my father last year on admission to hospital (emergency not d related). We made sure they were told he is highly allergic to penicillin and it was noted in his notes, I watched them right it in. Two days later a bag of anti-biotics was about to be given to him and my dad had enough sense to say to the nurse, "you do know I am allergic to penicillin" next thing the bag was being whisked away... He was very lucky unlike this poor woman...

Can I ask is it common practice to take control away from insulin dependent diabetics when they go into hospital? I only ask as my pal (the one from the bad car crash) was allowed to check her bs levels and inject her own insulin...

Its absolutely disgusting of Stafford Hospital and someone should get the book thrown at them! 😡
Many years ago I worked at a Hospital which came under the same aurthority, and god help us if we forgot anything.. The srn's were god then on a more cheerful note
But I have been in hospital ( poole) a couple of times I have had to remind them and once pulled out my drip and discharged myself from there because of there lack of care !

Hugs Mo xx

Can I ask is it common practice to take control away from insulin dependent diabetics when they go into hospital? I only ask as my pal (the one from the bad car crash) was allowed to check her bs levels and inject her own insulin...

I think it depends on the area you live in and the level of care you get when not in hospital. Some areas are better than others.

I think it depends on the area you live in and the level of care you get when not in hospital. Some areas are better than others.

Ah thanks Caroline was just wondering 🙂

Please look at link I gave in #9 - at least NHS in England is trying to improve, and I guess there are similar schemes in other parts of UK, but as I don't work there, I don't know.

It IS an appalling thing to happen but why is it the nurses fault ? If you read the article they are quoted about having to stay late everyday to do everything they can. Why is this ? Because the management of the hospital is failing NOT the staff. Yes some nurses do seem to think they know more than you about Diabetes, but you just have to 'educate' them otherwise. Most are very hard working and have to suffer poor conditions and poor pay. It sounds like the management team at Stafford hospital want naming and shaming. The NHS trust according to the article where deficient in nearly every stage of the inquiry. Why are they allowed to get away with this and why have they not been replaced ?

Very sad that this has happened. I really feel for the nurses working on that ward too, I can imagine it is horrendous. I do think there must be more to the story than this though, if the insulin was prescribed properly then I don't understand how it was not given for 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back