Diabetic meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All, flying off to sunnier climes next month, and when I was filling in the passenger info for my flight, I noticed that B.A. do a special meals menu, including a diabetic one which I have now booked in advance.Screenshot_20220524-155342_Chrome.jpg

Easyjet had a different approach when we flew to Budapest last week. Very inclusive, 'Due to operational difficulties we will not able to provide any of our usual range of hot and cold food for sale on board, please buy your lunch before you board'
Even worse, on the way back, they’d run out of gin.

Last edited:
Hi All, flying off to sunnier climes next month, and when I was filling in the passenger info for my flight, I noticed that B.A. do a special meals menu, including a diabetic one which I have now booked in advance.View attachment 21082
Think I’d just get a normal meal not a “diabetic” one.

I usually order Asian vegetarian.
I don't eat meat (hence veggie) but find the standard veggie is always pasta. However, the Asian veggie is usually a decent (considering the location) curry. You can easily leave the rice and chapati and have a decent meal

When I went to NY with my BFF, I was newly dx and didn’t know any different, so said “Yeah, sure, order me diabetic meals” (she was booking the flights). So, on the outward journey, I had a diabetic meal - er, where’s the food? I thought. It was what I call plastic food - all low-fat, hi-artificial sweetener, and packed with chemicals with the kind of fake flavors that hang around on your palate for hours afterwards. Yak! On the way back, when the steward brought over my special meal, I said “oh no, not for me, thanks, I didn’t order that” - well, I didn’t, my friend did, LOL. 😉

I hope BA serve up something nicer @Martin62! :D

Yes, avoid diabetic meals. Few understand that diabetes food should be low-carb and not low-fat.

Yes, avoid diabetic meals. Few understand that diabetes food should be low-carb and not low-fat.
Diabetic food is meaningless. It is not a case of what it "should be" because we are all different,
Many people with type 2 find low carb helps. Some people with Type 1 find low carb helps.
But it is not the same for all of us. I find low carb difficult to dose insulin for and find it easier not to restrict my carbs. That does not mean I eat huge plates of pasta, rice, potatoes followed by cake with extra custard and sugar sprinkled on top. But I can eat pizza and chips and pasta and cake.
So, I disagree that diabetes food should be low carb. My understanding is that there should not be such a thing as diabetes food.

It doesn't say its low carb , it says an equally balanced meal , anyway I will be giving it a try
I just thought that it was good of them to consider other people's dietary needs and not just say " you have 2 choices take it or leave it "

Might be sad but look forward to airline meals, standard of food on offer is lot better than it use to be, never order anything specific & just eat what's on offer.

Might be sad but look forward to airline meals, standard of food on offer is lot better than it use to be, never order anything specific & just eat what's on offer.
On long haul flights, it’s the highlight!

Don’t forget to give some feedback @Martin62 - if it’s any good, we’ll all be flying BA from now on.:D

Update on the in flight food :
On the outward flight, no diabetic option, so I had a smoked salmon starter, coronation chicken curry followed by a portuguese custard tart, all washed down with some nice Argentinian malbec.
On the inward flight, diabetic option was supplied, king prawn and salad starter, Roast chicken breast on a carrot purree and green beans,followed by a bowl of mixed berries , all washed down with black coffee as I was driving, not the plane , my car home from the airport

Last edited:
On the outward flight, no diabetic option, so I had a smoked salmon starter, coronation chicken curry followed by a portuguese custard tart, all washed down with some nice Argentinian malbec.
On the inward flight, diabetic option was supplied, king prawn and salad starter, Roast chicken breast on a carrot purree, followed by a bowl of mixed berries , all washed down with black coffee as I was driving, not the plane , my car home from the airport
Both sound lovely!

I remember the only time going on holiday with my parents when we ordered a diabetic meal for mum, we all got a greasy all day breakfast type thing, my mum got a nice steak and broccoli! We wished we’d all ordered the diabetic one :D

That’s simply not true. People with diabetes eat a variety of diets. An acquaintance of mine is still on two injections a day, so the last thing he needs is a low carb lunch.

I’ve never ordered a diabetic meal - it could be anything. I far prefer to chose from the regular meals.

When checking in for a recent flight, I noticed the option for a “Bland” meal. The mind boggles what that is considering airline food is rarely exciting.

Being veggie and liking spice, I usually chose an Asian vegetarian meal. Normal ovo-lacto vegetarian meals are usual pasta whereas Asian vegetarian (or, on my latest flight, “Jain vegan”) are usually a decent curry.

On the inward flight, diabetic option was supplied, king prawn and salad starter, Roast chicken breast on a carrot purree, followed by a bowl of mixed berries , all washed down with black coffee as I was driving, not the plane , my car home from the airport

All sounds good to me Captain.

Both sound excellent.

When checking in for a recent flight, I noticed the option for a “Bland” meal. The mind boggles what that is considering airline food is rarely exciting.

Being veggie and liking spice, I usually chose an Asian vegetarian meal. Normal ovo-lacto vegetarian meals are usual pasta whereas Asian vegetarian (or, on my latest flight, “Jain vegan”) are usually a decent curry.
A bland meal will be something like plain grilled chicken, boiled white rice or potato, and a bit of veg, without any kinds of butter, sauce or seasoning. Likely there to give an extra option for people with things like digestive issues, Crohn’s disease, etc as it will be low in fat and easily digestible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back