Diabetic Log Book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estellaa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Right my doctor told me i have to write down every single blood sugar test i do and write down the amount of insulin, but i haven't done one of these log books in years never needed to and i just don't want to.
I know for a fact since i went to the doctors my sugars have got better and i have changed me diet.
i just hate using those stupid log books, cause it is another blooming thing to carry around, i'm a teenage girl i don't want to be lugging a load of medication (i know i have to take it with me) and books with me.
gah stresses me out.

What I do is just carry around a piece of paper folded up. scribble everything on there and type/write it up at some point when i'm bored. This is when I'm doing a diary, I don't do one all the time, but if I had the will power I would because it def helps.

What is your A1c like and do you have many hypos or highs?

I have recently started using an iphone app for this. It uploads the data too, or you can also upload the data via a web browser. Its called glucose buddy web version available at www.glucosebuddy.com

I leave the book at home, the blood mointor keep all results in it so at the end of the day I look back in blood mointor and write them all down at once

What type of blood testing machine do you have?

A lot of them now have programmes that you can use to download and print the information from. My Machine also lets me put in insulin / exercise / carbohydrate and whether the blood test is pre / post meal if I want to. That way you only need the machine you have to carry about anyway and can download the results when it suits you -mine holds up to 250 results along with the date and time. (It's a One-touch Ultra Smart. You might be able to get one from your DSN or possibly just phone the company and ask them about getting one.)

SOme monitors have a facility that means (withthe right cables) you can down load staraight into your computer.

I am assuming that as a teeneager you will have a mobile. Does the mobile do all kinds of fancy and clever things? Any chance of keeping a log on that while you are out that you can down load later?

I've just started using one of the log books from accu-chek. I haven't used one for years but with my recent change in insulin and general health problems I've decided it will help me to use one. I think that's the pertinent question - "will it help me?"

Started logging everything this year after 15 or so years of not bothering. My experience has been that it is MASSIVELY helpful in identifying what works, what doesn't, what you di last time and how that worked out.

Started with a little paper one I made up (folds to quarter A4 size). But now using the absolutely brilliant 'Diabetes Diary' app for iPhone/iPod Touch. I did try the GlucoseBuddy one mentioned earlier but didn't get on with it so well.

M

I agree with others who say write on paper, rather than carrying a book round. Also, a cut down pencil is more convenient, as it's nearer the right size to keep with a folded A4 sheet of paper. Both paper & pencil fit inside my blood glucose meter case.

Good ideas, I would scribble on a piece of paper then have problems reading it later but seeing as we almost all carry blood glucose meters around with us it makes sense to me to have the app/software on this piece of kit, but I only know of the one touch ultra smart which allows it, and that's a bit bulky I believe. Shame we can't force all of the meter manufcaturers to have same or a choice of software on each meter.

If you have iPod or iPhone, you can download 'easy diabetes' you can keep a diary in there 🙂

I write nothing down at all. I spent years and years doing graphs etc etc and then got bored with it all.

I now download twice monthly the pump data and sensor data and also Jessica's glucometer.

We have much better control now than ever before so I am not going to start writing stuff down now.

Some people need to write stuff down. I've never filled in one of those log books. I tried to once but the boxes are so damned small it was a jumbling mess 😱

Agreed - log books are prettty useless, as boxes are so small, and there's no space for recording other variables, particularly insulin doses (and times), food intake and energy expenditure. That's why I and several others on this thread have explained that we designed our own record sheets. I never reckoned I had enough data points to make it meaningful to draw lines to join them up, so never drew graphs buy hand or computer programme. However, I must admit I haven't recorded anything for ages, as I didn't really need the information and no medical personnel ever asked to see them - leave me more time to do fun things in life, like fell walking, climbing & remote camping(last weekend), running & watching airshow (this weekend), and the not so fun things like repairing kit after wild camping...

I can't log for long periods of time susually. But when I do I find it very useful, I spot patterns that i hadn't realised were happening. I happen to like the log books that are provided, looking down the columns to get a quick idea of whats going on.

... leave me more time to do fun things in life, like fell walking, climbing & remote camping(last weekend), running & watching airshow (this weekend), and the not so fun things like repairing kit after wild camping...

teehee. I just imagined what I would have written if I had talked about the things I find more fun in life.

My diary (when i can be bothered with it) consists of a spreadsheet with the usually boxes + exercise & every little detail of food and drink.
As nikki said, they are really good for spotting patterns & making improvements, when you can be bothered with them.

My blood glucose meter keeps the readings in memory for 7 days so I usually write up 5-7 days worth at a time. I made up a table on my computer and insert the readings in that and highlight lows in blue and highs in red - the consultant at the diabetic clinic is really pleased with that and it shows me immediately problem areas. The log books that are provided are useless in my opinion.

teehee. I just imagined what I would have written if I had talked about the things I find more fun in life.

My diary (when i can be bothered with it) consists of a spreadsheet with the usually boxes + exercise & every little detail of food and drink.
As nikki said, they are really good for spotting patterns & making improvements, when you can be bothered with them.

I only stated the activities suitable for a family forum...🙂

Thankyou for all your ideas, i did try the app for iPod Touch but just sorta forgot about it as it was American and it didn't have my insulin as a selection so that just annoyed me.
might have a look on iTunes now though!
Thanks xxx

There are a few iTunes apps that work in mmol/l.

Hello,

Already been said, but just wanted to say I also use the OneTouch UltraSmart because it lets you enter Insulin and Carbs. The meter is slightly larger than others but it does have many useful features.

NiVZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back