Diabetes Week 2016 Sunday 12 June to Saturday 18 June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope everything goes well today @AndBreathe ! 🙂 Well done! 🙂

It was actually fun, and I'm doing another session on Friday.

I spoke with a very nice young T1, diagnosed 3 years ago, who relatively recently discovered the ketotic way of eating. Knowing what the response should be, I asked what he had found the benefits to be, and he reeled them all off; using fractions of his earlier insulin doses, increased insulin sensitivity, clarity of thinking, fewer hypos and just feeling great. I would have loved to just have him stay and shout that out, but, he was actually there to service the fire extinguishers.

He had happened upon his ketotic diet in isolation and he finds his HCPs very resistant, even in the face of significantly improved HbA1cs, and all other markers.

Hey ho. Can't win 'em all, but the times are changing,............... slowly. 🙂

Good luck! 🙂 I hope you have a great time! 🙂
Thanks, Northener. 🙂 Bit nervous, tbh. But if I do it, I feel I'll send myself an important message: I can do anything. My cousin's 9-year-old was back competing - and winning (she's regional champ) - in swimming competitions 1 month after her diagnosis, so I should stop being a big girl's blouse about it!🙄 Good luck ev1 else with your endeavours.:D

It was actually fun, and I'm doing another session on Friday.

I spoke with a very nice young T1, diagnosed 3 years ago, who relatively recently discovered the ketotic way of eating. Knowing what the response should be, I asked what he had found the benefits to be, and he reeled them all off; using fractions of his earlier insulin doses, increased insulin sensitivity, clarity of thinking, fewer hypos and just feeling great. I would have loved to just have him stay and shout that out, but, he was actually there to service the fire extinguishers.

He had happened upon his ketotic diet in isolation and he finds his HCPs very resistant, even in the face of significantly improved HbA1cs, and all other markers.

Hey ho. Can't win 'em all, but the times are changing,............... slowly. 🙂

How interesting, AndBreathe. Had to larf that he was there to do a job, not join in.🙄 Have fun Friday.🙂

How interesting, AndBreathe. Had to larf that he was there to do a job, not join in.🙄 Have fun Friday.🙂

To be fair, I hadn't quite kidnapped him. We were positions just beyond the tills, near the exit, so as well as mindful donations, we ended up with a number of people's rattling change. It all adds up. 🙂

Anyway, anyway,....... There was a real downpour, so nobody was leaving ( 🙂 ), and he struck up conversation. He had clearly worked very hard to graps control of his situation, without feeling supported in his dietary choices. He had never seen the Libre and was astonished by how it worked (I wonder if I could get commission!?!). Very pleasant young man. A credit to his mother. 🙂

Well, it'll be on Sunday 19th, and it's for breast cancer, and it's more of a personal challenge than a magnanimous gesture aimed at diabetic people in general, but...I've entered the Gijon "Carrera de la Mujer" with a bunch of mates - it's 5.5 km, and we're walking (not running), and I suspect our mouths will get more exercise than our legs (we're a bunch of chatterboxes!). 😛 It may not seem like much, but ever since dx I've gradually done less and less exercise cos of fear of hypos, which is VERY frustrating because I love being in the great outdoors - swimming, hiking, cycling, etc etc. Wish me luck!😉
Good luck Bloden

Last night was my local DUK Group meeting. During the meeting it was announced that the can collections at the local garden centre, over 5 days of the week raised just under £700. I was pleasantly gobsmacked. I know we were steady during the couple of sessions I did, but the total is amazing.

It just goes to show there is great public goodwill towards diabetes and also highlighted to me just how many diabetics there are around the place.

I do hope other groups achieved comparable amounts, or more.

Last night was my local DUK Group meeting. During the meeting it was announced that the can collections at the local garden centre, over 5 days of the week raised just under £700. I was pleasantly gobsmacked. I know we were steady during the couple of sessions I did, but the total is amazing.

It just goes to show there is great public goodwill towards diabetes and also highlighted to me just how many diabetics there are around the place.

I do hope other groups achieved comparable amounts, or more.
That's fantastic! 🙂 Well done to everyone involved 🙂

highlighted to me just how many diabetics there are around the place
They just kinda crawl out of the woodwork..... People look astounded when I mention the fact that 1 in 9 of the (US) population is diabetic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back