Diabetes Week 2016 Sunday 12 June to Saturday 18 June 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just about everyone has heard about diabetes. And, with 3.5 million people diagnosed in the UK and a further 549,000 who have the condition but don't yet know it, most of us know a friend or family member living with diabetes. And yet it’s still hugely misunderstood, and there are so many myths and misconceptions out there that this year, the theme is Setting the record straight.

This Diabetes Week we’ll be calling on everyone we know to share straight talking stories, facts and videos to let everyone know the truth about diabetes.

We’ll be focusing on what it’s actually like to live with it every day and talking about the things people with diabetes wish everyone knew about living with the condition.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Diabetes-Week/?gclid=CMuQv-T7ms0CFRIUGwodyvcFfQ

Anyone doing anything special for Diabetes Week this year? 🙂

I might put some info up in the office on the noticeboad that I use for the health and wellbeing stuff that i do. I know that there are a few diabetics that work in the same place as me.

I might put some info up in the office on the noticeboad that I use for the health and wellbeing stuff that i do. I know that there are a few diabetics that work in the same place as me.
Good opportunity to publicise the forum Stitch! 🙂

I'll be getting up early on Sun 12th June, so that I can get to volunteer at Swim Start from 6am, at World Series Triathlon in Roundhay Park, Leeds. I'll need to get away in time to set up introductory orienteering, among Civil War re-enactment camp, with canon, at Middleton Park. I doubt that anyone will have any reason to notice that I have diabetes, as everyone volunteering has been briefed to have sweets and cereal bars in their pockets, plus bottles of drink.

I'll be getting up early on Sun 12th June, so that I can get to volunteer at Swim Start from 6am, at World Series Triathlon in Roundhay Park, Leeds. I'll need to get away in time to set up introductory orienteering, among Civil War re-enactment camp, with canon, at Middleton Park. I doubt that anyone will have any reason to notice that I have diabetes, as everyone volunteering has been briefed to have sweets and cereal bars in their pockets, plus bottles of drink.
Hi Copepod, well done ! I have done two electrical re-wires very near Roundhay. Travelling from N.E. at 6am & getting back 11.30pm. And that was just last year. :D. It sounds good what you are doing 😎

Despite officially being in Roundhay Park to look after lost children (there weren't any today), I was pretty busy, promoting activities in parks, particularly orienteering, which I teach, and playing Ping table tennis on a mobile table, and guarding the staff rest area to stop members of public wandering in. Audio technicians were busy with lots of wiring. Worked 8am to 6pm today, with 30 mins drive and 10 mins walk each way. Starting volunteering at 6am tomorrow, then working elsewhere 12 noon to 5pm. Will relax on Sun night, after preparing for Monday's work!

Thanks Hobie. A tad tired now, after getting up at 4:35am, leaving home at 5:10am and getting home at 5:15pm. Fed cat, mouse and myself, prepared papers for work tomorrow. Will be asleep soon! 🙂

My local DUK group is operating a stand/area in our local (fairly large; coach parties visit) garden centre, daily from yesterday until next Saturday. I'm "doing" a (my first ever) session tomorrow, then if that goes OK, I may be able to fit another session in later in the week. It takes a few folks to cover the area for the whole day for the duration, so there are a fair few involved.

Thankfully, our group is very successful, in terms of member numbers and funds raised. None of that is anything to do with me, but just needs to be acknowledged when I can.

The only downside is, whenever I go to this particular garden centre, it ends up being expensive. I'm currently coveting a couple of ginagerous planters, and the butcher in the broader retail area is quite superb, so I'll be (expensively) well nourished to get over being on my feet. 🙂

& well done Andbreath for getting involved. (ps don't spend much on duty 🙂)

Despite officially being in Roundhay Park to look after lost children
Ah, Roundhay Park..... Spent many a summers day there with my Grandparents (they lived in Harrogate)

Our S&R team runs Lost Children booths for some town events, can be a little challenging at times..... Conversation with a 4 year old....
" What's your name?" - "Johnny"
"What's your Mommy's name?" - "Mommy"
groan...... Not again!

Ah, Roundhay Park..... Spent many a summers day there with my Grandparents (they lived in Harrogate)

Our S&R team runs Lost Children booths for some town events, can be a little challenging at times..... Conversation with a 4 year old....
groan...... Not again!

Agree with your groans - parents really should teach their children to know their full name, perhaps even date of birth as a check, but only to give it to people who need to know eg officials in uniform.
I'm happy to report that we had no lost children on Saturday, and my colleague who covered Sunday said there were no lost children then, either. However, there were problems with age group athletes' bags (containing street clothes, money, phones, etc) not being transported from Roundhay Park to city centre, and then being told to collect from Roundhay, but with no way of getting there, as they had no money, phones, maps etc, and information about free shuttle buses wasn't easy to obtain. So, many spent several uncomfortable hours after finishing their races, and missed watching the elite races in the afternoon.

Agree with your groans - parents really should teach their children to know their full name
Long gone are the days when we could just line the kids up & tell the parents to pick the ones they want!!!!!😎

groan...... Not again!
Made me smile :D. I saw U2 in Roundhay park when I was in my 20s. A good day out

My local DUK group is operating a stand/area in our local (fairly large; coach parties visit) garden centre, daily from yesterday until next Saturday. I'm "doing" a (my first ever) session tomorrow, then if that goes OK, I may be able to fit another session in later in the week. It takes a few folks to cover the area for the whole day for the duration, so there are a fair few involved.

Thankfully, our group is very successful, in terms of member numbers and funds raised. None of that is anything to do with me, but just needs to be acknowledged when I can.

The only downside is, whenever I go to this particular garden centre, it ends up being expensive. I'm currently coveting a couple of ginagerous planters, and the butcher in the broader retail area is quite superb, so I'll be (expensively) well nourished to get over being on my feet. 🙂
Hope everything goes well today @AndBreathe ! 🙂 Well done! 🙂

Well, it'll be on Sunday 19th, and it's for breast cancer, and it's more of a personal challenge than a magnanimous gesture aimed at diabetic people in general, but...I've entered the Gijon "Carrera de la Mujer" with a bunch of mates - it's 5.5 km, and we're walking (not running), and I suspect our mouths will get more exercise than our legs (we're a bunch of chatterboxes!). 😛 It may not seem like much, but ever since dx I've gradually done less and less exercise cos of fear of hypos, which is VERY frustrating because I love being in the great outdoors - swimming, hiking, cycling, etc etc. Wish me luck!😉

Well, it'll be on Sunday 19th, and it's for breast cancer, and it's more of a personal challenge than a magnanimous gesture aimed at diabetic people in general, but...I've entered the Gijon "Carrera de la Mujer" with a bunch of mates - it's 5.5 km, and we're walking (not running), and I suspect our mouths will get more exercise than our legs (we're a bunch of chatterboxes!). 😛 It may not seem like much, but ever since dx I've gradually done less and less exercise cos of fear of hypos, which is VERY frustrating because I love being in the great outdoors - swimming, hiking, cycling, etc etc. Wish me luck!😉
Good luck! 🙂 I hope you have a great time! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back