Diabetes Support birthday news story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Joe,

Having been type one for a good fourteen years and never really met anyone with it I just wanted somewhere to vent feelings. Given the decade or so of diabetes related rubbish that had accumulated in me I needed somewhere.
I do love being able to meet people and the social side is something that's incredible. It's always worth going to meet with these folks.

Tom

A few lines hmmmm.

Well I was actually diagnosed the official day this support forum started, but it took me a few months to "stumble" across it. Without it I don't know where I'd be, in terms of my control both mental and blood sugar levels, the ability to moan, ask questions, just listen, make friends, even meet some (not all scary!) is quite amazing. I never would have thought I would be so dependant on a forum, but although I'm not so "active" at present I do think of all of these people as more than cyber friends, I do wonder what some of them think of me though! Triffik is what it is, and is what all these people are...

Happy dayz

Er, not sure if it's quite relevant, but the forum has sprung its first couple, might be a nice thing to throw in??

Really?! Exciting! I might throw that into the mix if no one has any objections - just mention it without naming names...

Thanks again for those who've added comments - really great to hear. Lots of you saying you "stumbled" across the site. I hope that this story, along with our other promotion of the site, means people will be able to find it much more easily and benefit from everyone's kindness and experience!

Thanks again

Joe

Diagnosed almost 19 years ago......never knew of a network of diabetics that have gelled so well and had so many life changing and success stories.

Blended in with the "non-diabetic world" and considered myself as the same.
People just couldn't understand what it felt like so I could never share my feelings and annoyances.

This forum changed that; I've learnt too much, understood my condition more and appreciated the challenges people face with regards to the illness.

At the end of the day, this forum is there to help.....not in a reactive way, but a proactive way and that to me amounts for a lot.

Really?! Exciting! I might throw that into the mix if no one has any objections - just mention it without naming names...

Thanks again for those who've added comments - really great to hear. Lots of you saying you "stumbled" across the site. I hope that this story, along with our other promotion of the site, means people will be able to find it much more easily and benefit from everyone's kindness and experience!

Thanks again

Joe

We've had several babies born to members too Joe! Absolutely wonderful to see how other forum members have helped each other through pregnancy and some of the most beautiful babies ever born! (Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think so :D)

Diagnosed almost 19 years ago......never knew of a network of diabetics that have gelled so well and had so many life changing and success stories.

Blended in with the "non-diabetic world" and considered myself as the same.
People just couldn't understand what it felt like so I could never share my feelings and annoyances.

This forum changed that; I've learnt too much, understood my condition more and appreciated the challenges people face with regards to the illness.

At the end of the day, this forum is there to help.....not in a reactive way, but a proactive way and that to me amounts for a lot.

Joe, it would be nice to include MIsmail's fundraiser too when quoting his message as the challenge also coincides with World Diabetes Day 🙂 http://www.justgiving.com/changediabetes every little helps! 🙂

since i join the forum has been very good to share all the experience with others because as a ,mum you can feel the diabetes yourself you feel only the pain that even if you try your best sometimes is not enough and even if is only a silly event like a cold and your son BS goes super high there is always someone on the forum that has been all trough this before and it makes you feel better is reassuring and therapeutic

Diabetes looks from the outside like something that should be solved with numbers and logic; it's only when you are living with it, that you realise it isn't that simple..... it's a frustrating disease that affects everything you do.

It's fantastic to be able to share the ups and downs with real people who DO understand because they've been there. Without this site, I'd be the only diabetic I know who goes mountaineering and the only diabetic I know of trying to start a family.

As it is, I now know lots of people who can sympathise and give me advice.... and I can sympathise and give advice to others, in turn.

Hi Joe

Being a parent of a newly diagnosed diabetic type 1 I have found this forum such a help in every way...the support, emotionally and pratically has helped me so much through the steep learning curve of the first difficult few months. Thank you everyone.

Has anyone else got anything to add to the thread for Joe's story? 🙂

yep me ...
well i found this forum after 1 yr after dx ....I was a DDD... Depressed on the Dole and had Diabetes .....i am now surrounded by support and have learnt so much.... have maintained my HbA1c for over a year ..my GP is well happy ..i also now have a Job which i am loving and succeeding in as it keeps my supersonic brain stimulated !! in the charity sector !
the thing about this forum is SUPPORT and it comes from all types of D we have and equal opps policy !! i love the humour as well !! ..I for one couldn't have been in this situation without this forum

So many wonderful quotes, thank you all. Was very difficult to pick just a few but I've taken some of what was said by shiv, am64 and Steffie to add into the piece.

I'll set up a web page too I think with everyone else's comments and link to that from the story. If for any reason anyone doesn't want their forum name and comment on the Diabetes UK website, just let me know and I'll make sure they don't go up.

I've just finished writing it so will send off to our Press team for approval and then set it up to go live at the end of next week. I'll let you all know when it's on the site 🙂

Shiv, am64 and Steffie (and Northener) - I'll get a copy of the story to you before hand too so you can just confirm you're ok with your quotes in there 🙂

Thanks again everyone!

Joe

Shiv, am64 and Steffie (and Northener) - I'll get a copy of the story to you before hand too so you can just confirm you're ok with your quotes in there 🙂
No problem Joe x

The story is live now on our site:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...tes-Support-forum-celebrates-second-birthday/

There's also a link to everyone's lovely comments too:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us...irthday/Diabetes-Support-forum-user-comments/

Thanks again to everyone who helped - look forward to seeing lots of you on Saturday!

Joe

Excellent story Joe, thanks to you and all the members who provided their reasons for being here - it wouldn't work without you! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back