DIABETES RESEARCH SURVEY

Status
Not open for further replies.

caesardaras

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I am a student at Sheffield Hallam University conducting a research study among people living with type I and II diabetes aged 18 and above titled "The determinants of diabetes self-care behaviour among adults in England". This research is significant as it will explore the determinants of self-care behaviours of people living with diabetics and the factors contributing to successful self-care among adults in England. The benefit of this research includes improving existing knowledge on diabetes self-care behaviours, a better understanding of the factors that determine whether people living with diabetes perform self-care behaviours and identifying the level of support people living with diabetes get in relation to diabetes self-care.
Hence, I will be humbly grateful if those who meet the aforementioned criteria follow the link to the survey below and complete it. Furthermore, if you experience any difficulties while completing the survey or have any additional comments, do not hesitate to contact me.
https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eyfEq7XgyRyec1E

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Well, just done it but I have a couple of points to make

There are many many questions where zero would be an appropriate answer but there is no option for this.

If I take no diabetes medication, as I do, then the questions regarding taking diabetes medication are irellevant but there is no N/A option.

Blood sugar testing: 'test the number of days recommended by your health care provider'. The possible responses do not include 'no recommendation given'. This is applicable to me. Given a meter but zero advice.

Foot care: none would be an appropriate response but that is not lidted as a possibility

My health is excellent because of the advice given by members of this forum and doing my own analysis, not from any advice from any health care provider. Perhaps there should be a question regarding where people get their diabetes advice from. That might be very revealing.

It might be very useful to have a free text section at the end of the survey to ask what people feel could improve their diabetes care, health, and motivation.

Last edited:
Completed, but not at all sure you are asking the right questions (as usual with these surveys).

Why are the units for blood sugar in mg/dl? I've only seen mmol/L in the UK.

Why are the units for blood sugar in mg/dl? I've only seen mmol/L in the UK.
Because neither the student nor the superviser has the slightest interest in diabetes itself so they've simply used or paraphrased a questionnaire used elsewhere; best guess the USA?

There are many many questions where zero would be an appropriate answer but there is no option for this.

If I take no diabetes medication, as I do, then the questions regarding taking diabetes medication are irellevant but there is no N/A option.

Blood sugar testing: 'test the number of days recommended by your health care provider'. The possible responses do not include 'no recommendation given'. This is applicable to me. Given a meter but zero advice.

Foot care: none would be an appropriate response but that is not lidted as a possibility

My health is excellent because of the advice given by members of this forum and doing my own analysis, not from any advice from any health care provider. Perhaps there should be a question regarding where people get their diabetes advice from. That might be very revealing.

It might be very useful to have a free text section at the end of the survey to ask what people feel could improve their diabetes care, health, and motivation.
Given this feedback I won’t try filling it in since some of my answers would be the same and not catered for in the survey

Although the survey has been approved by the Uni ethics committee I suspect it has not been reviewed by a scientist given the student is not in a Science Faculty otherwise some of the omissions would probably have been spotted.

Looks as if the suggestions have been taken onboard and the questionnaire updated.

Thank you for your feedback which was highly noted, issues around the points you raised have been address accordingly.

Given this feedback I won’t try filling it in since some of my answers would be the same and not catered for in the survey
All feedback given has been addressed. Your response is valuable and would be appreciated.

Because neither the student nor the superviser has the slightest interest in diabetes itself so they've simply used or paraphrased a questionnaire used elsewhere; best guess the USA?
That is a very negative assumption and far from encouraging to a student who has taken steps to learn.

Thank you for your feedback which was highly noted, issues around the points you raised have been address accordingly.
Would that mean that previous entries to the survey are now null & void?
For the record, I'm asking this politely with no ill will intended.

@caesardaras best of luck with your masters, it must be hard work

"On how many of the last SEVEN DAYS did you test your blood sugar the number of times recommended by your health-care provider?"

I've never been recommended to test blood sugar by my so-called health-care provider.

Well that's the thing - as I said, the people asking the questions don't have the slightest idea about diabetes or the treatment of diabetes in the UK. If you have never had any whatever recommended, you have complied with the recs by not doing anything! I've never been recommended a diet since I left hospital in 1972 therefore as far as I'm concerned I comply with it 365 days a year. Nobody ever told me how many times to test my BG either, just need to before driving (the DVLA tells me that though, not my doctor) and before I eat so I can calculate insulin and any other time I'm ill or don't feel quite right. Never told to do it just because I wonder! - but of course everybody does that, though it's far easier now with Libre - if you happen to have it.

University of Warwick Medical School used to have a committee of PWD to advise em on things like this where the students had to run questionnaires, leaflets etc past it, before they could even submit it to ethics!

Well that's the thing - as I said, the people asking the questions don't have the slightest idea about diabetes or the treatment of diabetes in the UK. If you have never had any whatever recommended, you have complied with the recs by not doing anything! I've never been recommended a diet since I left hospital in 1972 therefore as far as I'm concerned I comply with it 365 days a year. Nobody ever told me how many times to test my BG either, just need to before driving (the DVLA tells me that though, not my doctor) and before I eat so I can calculate insulin and any other time I'm ill or don't feel quite right. Never told to do it just because I wonder! - but of course everybody does that, though it's far easier now with Libre - if you happen to have it.

University of Warwick Medical School used to have a committee of PWD to advise em on things like this where the students had to run questionnaires, leaflets etc past it, before they could even submit it to ethics!
I was initially diagnosed T1 in 2013 & hospitalised. The advice they gave me on injecting insulin was a joke (my ex is T1 diabetic so I already knew a lot). They were expecting me to inject a set dose of 12u Novorapid with every meal, I'd be unconscious if I had a carb free meal & didn't know any better. The dosage of (at the time) Levemir was ridiculously too low, a quarter of what I needed & then to add insult to injury a 35 stone+ dietician came along & told me, a 13 stone, 6'2" bloke how to eat healthily. She was lovely, but told me nothing I didn't already know & didn't already do.
When I escaped from the hospital I instantly tuned my Levemir to a dosage that worked & started carb counting. I learned more from my own trial & error and my diabetic ex GF than I did from anyone in the hospital.

Hello,
I am a student at Sheffield Hallam University conducting a research study among people living with type I and II diabetes aged 18 and above titled "The determinants of diabetes self-care behaviour among adults in England". This research is significant as it will explore the determinants of self-care behaviours of people living with diabetics and the factors contributing to successful self-care among adults in England. The benefit of this research includes improving existing knowledge on diabetes self-care behaviours, a better understanding of the factors that determine whether people living with diabetes perform self-care behaviours and identifying the level of support people living with diabetes get in relation to diabetes self-care.
Hence, I will be humbly grateful if those who meet the aforementioned criteria follow the link to the survey below and complete it. Furthermore, if you experience any difficulties while completing the survey or have any additional comments, do not hesitate to contact me.
https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eyfEq7XgyRyec1E

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns
Hi @caesardaras I attempted to complete your questionnaire but could not do so because I reached a page on medication which required yes/no answers and I am not on medication. If there is a way of skipping that page I'd be happy to complete the questionnaire and assist your research.
Also, as someone else has mentioned, there is a question about whether I have tested blood sugars at required regularity. My GP has advised me it's not necessary for me to routinely test my blood sugar (cynics may suggest this is so that I don't then ask for stuff on prescription!) but I choose to test myself self-funded. So technically, every day I test myself as directed by my GP...excepting the days when I ACTUALLY DO test myself! Sorry to expose you to this can of worms..
Regards, Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back