Diabetes Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
told you rachel...loads of ideas!!! this is a great forum !🙂

I know that designers want to design new things for existing problems, but I've found a few things that have already been designed, sometimes with other ends in mind, that help me deal with diabetes, insulin, blood glucose testing kit eg lifejacket with pockets to contain camera (nothing to do with diabetes, but I always want to take photos when kayaking), sweets and muesli bars, blood glucose testing kit in a waterproof bag with roll over velcro seal (intended for mobile phone / wallet etc); pencil case to discretely hold insulin pen, spare cartridges (1 of ech type of insulin), spare needles, plus a couple of tampons and ibuprofen tablets (for other problems, obviously); 3mm film cannisters to hold used needles and lancets; BD Safe Clip needle clipping device which removes sharp ends of needles and keeps them securely within handle. Apart from those specifics, I've always found an appropraite way of carrying any diabetes related kit and emergency rations in dry bags when kayaking / sailing / gorge exploring etc or bumbags / ruckacks / bike bags when orienteering / hiking / running / cycling etc.
Sorry, can't think of anything else that I'd like to have / use in relation to diabetes, but hope you can help those who have suggested wants or needs.

Hi everyone,

I had my forst meeting today and talked about all the feedback I have had so far.
The next step of the project is to finalise a selection of areas that are possible to take on and explore within detail.
I am very keen and interested in areas such as;

ID cards and tagging - After research into these I realised that many on the market are very impersonal and are in my eyes, labelling people. Many responses from users have got back to me saying they want something more meaningful and personal.

Another area is the devices themselves such as Glucose monitor, pumps, finger prickers and insulin pens - The feedback from these have been vast with users explaining how annoying it is to have to carry around so much with them, that the tubing is getting tangled or caugh by things.

Also the idea of public spaces interests me, how many people are able to use insulin in public? If so what are your feelings whilst doing this?

Thank you for all your responses so far. 🙂

Best wishes,

Rachel

There's been a lot of discussion about injecting insulin and blood testing in public, much of it prompted by a letter from a nurse in Balance (Diabetes UK magazine) who objected - try using the search function for relevent terms. Sorry, no time to do it myself just now, as grabbing food at work.

Project Update

Dear all,

Thank you for all your feedback and information! It has been so helpful and gave me so much scope into all areas.

After my last meeting, I have decided to take on the topic of ID cards, available jewellary, tags and so on. The reason is due to after much research finding so many people are either avoiding wearing any means of medical ID, or are wearing something but not happy with the choice given.

This is a very interesting area that has not yet been tackled. I am aiming to put the thought of 'want' into this, the want to wear, the want to have, and I believe this area has a lot of opportunity for all ages.

So my thinking cap is on and now I am taking the research to brainstorming to see what I can find in and out the box.

If anyone has any thoughts or exmples please feel free and leave a comment. 🙂

Thank you all for your help and support!

Rachel

Hi Rachel, thanks for keeping us informed - and please continue to do so, much appreciated.
On the topic of medical ID tags, cards etc, you also need to talk to first aid training providers, ambulance staff etc to find out what they will actually look for, as if they won't look, there's no point anyone with diabetes or any other condition wearing / carrying. I gather that anything "too pretty" is not investigated for medical information.

Hi Rachel, thanks for keeping us informed - and please continue to do so, much appreciated.
On the topic of medical ID tags, cards etc, you also need to talk to first aid training providers, ambulance staff etc to find out what they will actually look for, as if they won't look, there's no point anyone with diabetes or any other condition wearing / carrying. I gather that anything "too pretty" is not investigated for medical information.

Exactly what I was going to say!! There was a recent story about a paramedic assuming a woman on a bus was drunk - not sure if she was wearing a tag or not, but it highlights the issue - whilst it's not "nice" to be labelled, in an emergency (which surely is the when these are needed as otherwise you could speak for yourself as it were) you do need something clear & obvious enough to be quickly spotted & interpreted. That said, form as well as function matters - I recall "losing" umpteen bracelets as a kid in primary school because I hated being diabetic & wearing what felt like a prisoner's chain - it was chunky! - & being labelled "diabetic." (Used to drive dad nuts!)

Glad to see someone looking into all this though - thanks! 🙂

I've just got a rubber bracelet for my son- he's 8 and loves it! It's blue and on the outside it says "Look inside" and has the medical squiggly symbol, on the inside it says his name, date of birth, type 1 diabetes on insulin and ICE phone number. He showed all his little mates today at a party ( his first one but's that's another story!!) and they all thought it was cool. Not sure how long he will think it's cool for but works for now. It took hours of searching though to find the right thing.

The finger pricker is a great idea, they are way to bug never thought about it before but now that i do, its huge compared to the res tof the things.
I think Glucose tablets need some time spent on them. I like the ones that come in the tubs best as they stay fresher and are supposed to be re-fillable, plus taste better. i have never found the re-fills for them so now i buy the detrox ones or what ever they are and spilt them between the manys tubes i have.
xx

Hi

Do you mean the Glucotabs in plastic tubes. You can get the refill tubs of 50 which I think is what you are talking about. You can get them on prescription. The GP will not be able to find them on their computer for you but can handwrite the script saying Glucotab 50 refill, then when you go to the chemist tell them it is in the C & D Book (chemist and dispensers ?) they will find them.

Tescos chemists just order them for me no problem and I was paying, they are not that expensive (?2.90 odd for the refill pot). They told I could get them on script. They will then also be able to give you the PIP code for the GP.

This is very true. A friend of mine has a son (about 17 or 18 I think) who was arrested for being drunk. He was kept in a cell and kept asking for the doctor but nothing. He was of course hypo but they had not believed him. The mother has since managed to get that police stations policy sorted out.

Thank you everyone for your insights. This is a very important area.

I am going to have meeting's with emergency services this week (in all areas) to gain access to experiences they have a had, why they happen and what would be more recognisable to them aswel as the user.

I have a meeting with a diabetes practical nurse and I am also attending group talks to get a better view one on one.

All your feedback has been great and very useful! So thank you!

I am also trying to get an insight in an 'Everyday life' of different users such as business, children, teens,elderly and so on to help me get a better picture of where opportunities coiuld come in.
If anyone has any thought on this please let me know 🙂

Again thanks everyone and hope you are all having a great tuesday.

Best wishes,

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back