Diabetes HbA1c blood test result

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardsUsername

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning

I was just interested in knowing if 55 on this test was typically reached with an individual who has type 2 diabetes. Generally speaking. I know there are different factors involved. Just curious. I was pleased as the previous result was way too high at 80.

Thank you.

Good morning

I was just interested in knowing if 55 on this test was typically reached with an individual who has type 2 diabetes. Generally speaking. I know there are different factors involved. Just curious. I was pleased as the previous result was way too high at 80.

Thank you.
Yes 55 is in the diabetic range

Morning,

If you have a diagnosis of diabetes then an ideal HbA1c is regarded as being 48.

Obviously that’s a weird definition of ‘ideal’ as an absolutely ideal level would be one that’s below the diabetic threshold.

Congrats on getting yours down so far. How long did it take you to do that and was it with diet and exercise or medication?

Morning,

If you have a diagnosis of diabetes then an ideal HbA1c is regarded as being 48.

Obviously that’s a weird definition of ‘ideal’ as an absolutely ideal level would be one that’s below the diabetic threshold.

Congrats on getting yours down so far. How long did it take you to do that and was it with diet and exercise or medication?
Thank you Colin

I had the levels down from 80 to 55 in 3 months. The thing that drops the levels for me is intensive exercise. Although I have looked at my diet and I am on medication. But I can get a Tee2+ reading that is way too high to a reading that is within target in 1 hour following my exercise routine. Which has been a big motivator.

Not sure what the question is but a reduction to 55 from 80 is good. But ideally needs to be lower still, so keep up whatever you're doing.

Just to clarify. I was wondering how to word it so apologise. I was just wondering how may people with type 2 get their levels within target. As a percentage. I realise however that may not be straight forward to answer.

Thanks again.

Just to clarify. I was wondering how to word it so apologise. I was just wondering how may people with type 2 get their levels within target. As a percentage. I realise however that may not be straight forward to answer.

Thanks again.
There is something called the National Diabetes Audit, produced by the NHS which has quarterly data of how many people achieve which targets. But I just tried to view it, and it wouldn’t download properly on my ipad. You could try Googling it to see if you can see it.

There is something called the National Diabetes Audit, produced by the NHS which has quarterly data of how many people achieve which targets. But I just tried to view it, and it wouldn’t download properly on my ipad. You could try Googling it to see if you can see it.
Many thanks Robin. I will google it.

It is difficult to compare to others as everybody is different in how they engage with tackling their diabetes, what changes they make to their life style and what medication they may take. But as important is how well they keep it up once they reach their target.
For me I reduced HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and 2 years on I am at 39.
I certainly would not feel comfortable with 48mmol/mol as to me that gives you a diagnosis and you get told it needs to come below that, so I would personally regard normal range of below 42mmol/mol as being MY target.

Good morning

Thank you.

Well mine went 83 to 36 in three months. Not sure how common it is. When I asked the nurse why I managed to get it down so quickly she just muttered about different phenotypes. I know people who couldn’t get it down with lifestyle changes and have to keep taking more drugs to keep it under control.

It is difficult to compare to others as everybody is different in how they engage with tackling their diabetes, what changes they make to their life style and what medication they may take. But as important is how well they keep it up once they reach their target.
For me I reduced HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and 2 years on I am at 39.
I certainly would not feel comfortable with 48mmol/mol as to me that gives you a diagnosis and you get told it needs to come below that, so I would personally regard normal range of below 42mmol/mol as being MY target.
I agree. I am in a compitition with myself in that sense.

Well mine went 83 to 36 in three months. Not sure how common it is. When I asked the nurse why I managed to get it down so quickly she just muttered about different phenotypes. I know people who couldn’t get it down with lifestyle changes and have to keep taking more drugs to keep it under control.
I didn't have a clue how to get the levels low or use the monitor. I could have done with more input from the surgery but I'm guessing that is typical and I do like doing the research myself which is what I did. I predicted getting a low score following making the connection bewteen my exercise routine and a score of 52 in the year 2019.

I didn't have a clue how to get the levels low or use the monitor. I could have done with more input from the surgery but I'm guessing that is typical and I do like doing the research myself which is what I did. I predicted getting a low score following making the connection bewteen my exercise routine and a score of 52 in the year 2019.

Exercise can help, especially around 40 minutes after eating. Muscles use a different pathway to get glucose from blood when we exercise, although blood sugar can also rise for certain types of exercise.

I did my own research as well, as I had no advice from the surgery, and changed my diet. In fact, when I had my first appointment with the diabetic nurse hba1c had dropped and I'd lost weight, so they didn't bother referring me into a course called 'Desmond' and just said 'keep what you're doing'.

Are you taking any medication?

Exercise can help, especially around 40 minutes after eating. Muscles use a different pathway to get glucose from blood when we exercise, although blood sugar can also rise for certain types of exercise.

I did my own research as well, as I had no advice from the surgery, and changed my diet. In fact, when I had my first appointment with the diabetic nurse hba1c had dropped and I'd lost weight, so they didn't bother referring me into a course called 'Desmond' and just said 'keep what you're doing'.

Are you taking any medication?
Thanks. Yes. Metformin, Gliclazide and Canagliflozin. I've also got problems with my feet at present and exercise, even walking to the other side of the kitchen is a problem and brings on symptoms. Got a mis-diagnosis of Neuropathy. Vasculitis is what the consultant thinks it is, yet to get that confirmed.

Likewise, and I'm sure the older definition of remission was 6 months below pre-diabetes. Those were certainly the targets I was trying for in 2019.

Thanks. Yes. Metformin, Gliclazide and Canagliflozin. I've also got problems with my feet at present and exercise, even walking to the other side of the kitchen is a problem and brings on symptoms. Got a mis-diagnosis of Neuropathy. Vasculitis is what the consultant thinks it is, yet to get that confirmed.
So you are on 3 medications. This could be contributing to some of that reduction. Have they been adding new medications over the years since diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back