Diabetes as a disability

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaraway

Ok so I'm starting what might be a controrvertial topic and might raise strong feelings.

Diabetes is classified as a disability and we are covered under the DDA. Just wondering how feel feel about this issue, do you feel disabled?

I seem to see that there is dual thoughts to this issue.
We don't want anyone to stop us doing things because we have diabetes sky diving, using a sauna etc etc. Can get annoyed with people who think we can't eat anything with sugar in etc. and generally want to be treated like everyone else.
Then on the other hand we want accommodations made because we have diabetes, and want people to take it into account with working conditions.

Personally I have used the fact that diabetes is considered a disability on applying for jobs. The jobs that i tend to apply for have a guaranteed interview system. So that if you meet the minimum requirements and have a disability you get an interview. Part of my felt it was wrong and I got an interview above people who might have been better qualified for the job.

At work I have agreed with occupational health that I only work 3 night shifts per month rather than the 7 that each person on our team is meant to work.

I don't consider myself disabled and hope to limit the affect that diabetes has on my everyday life. I also tend to play down my diabetes to my friends and family. Places like this are the only places I tend to talk about any problems I might be having.

so think my post isn't as articulate as I intended. But does anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

ah well it is a good thought, but as we are classed as disabled under the dda you didnt do anything wrong in the eyes of the law. i have on a few occasions been unable to work due to problems with my diabetes and had to sign on as sick as i was self employed at the time. now this is fine for me, but i was shocked to find that diabetes is in a grey area as regards to disability living allowance. this was even more of a shock when i found out my partners sisters boyfriend had been getting dla for his eczema!!!! he was on the higher rate as well!!! talk about wrong. now i didn't want to go on dla or anything, but i always thought you had to be ill to get it. his eczema would flair up in hot conditions so he couldn't work in a kitchen etc. when i found this out i was mortified as i had been having problems and struggling for a few years to get control and also suffered bouts of depression as a result. i don't consider myself disabled, but i do believe employers need to have a greater awareness of diabetes and what it involves.

I am glad that we are covered under the disability act as that is all that is keeping me in my job. Prior to this we had to resign if type 1 diabetes developed, now they are forced to keep me in employment. The funny thing is I have asked for no adjustment and they have not made any so I carry on as before. They would have chucked me on the scrap heap previously yet I am proof that I can do the job anyway.

I personally don't 'feel' disabled, using the definition of a disability as something that has an adverse impact on your day to day activities, to me it is part of my day to day life so I don't feel that it disables me in anyway. Do understand though that for many people it does so have no issue with it coming under the DDA.
With regard to forms etc I usually tick no if it says ' do you consider yourself to have a disability' but it it says something about what that includes and diabetes us included I will say yes.

It's a tricky one, isn't it? People are much more accepting of disability these days than they were in my childhood. I think that this is due to the tremendous achievements that have now become very 'visible' due to things like the paralympics, plus laws making public places adapt to the requirements of blind, deaf or physically disabled people.

Yet, there are still many negative connotations with the word 'disability' in our society, usually born of traditional attitudes and ignorance. Generally, I would not consider myself disabled partly because of this ingrained aversion to the term. As I walk around, I'm struck by the fact that I am probably less disabled than a significant proportion of the population. In October I ran the Great South Run, and I'm pretty certain that the majority of the thousands of people that finished behind me are not described as 'disabled', so in what way am I less able than them?

I do, however, accept that there may be areas of life where my condition needs to be taken into account, for my own or other's safety, and as long as these rules are fair and valid I would not argue against them. On the other hand, it is sad to say, I also know that I need protection from prejudice that might preclude me from consideration in job applications. At age 50, I also need the protection of the new Age Discrimination laws - I shouldn't be dismissed as a potential candidate just because of my age, nor should I because of my diabetes.

So, I'd say, I don't consider myself disabled but I do welcome the protection of the law - it means people have to consider the condition and how to accomodate it, rather than simply ignore it and reject us. Perhaps they need a new name for this category🙂

Nikki, thanks for opening up a very good thread

As T2, I have never felt 'disabled'. As T2, I have not been stopped from doing anything of my choosing. I do though agree with the comment that employers need to have a greater understanding of the condition. I have in the last few years worked for small companies who do not have either an HR or medical departments. It therefore, falls on the manager (in my case accountants) to understand what's what.

I put on my CV that I am T2, so that any propective employer knows from the start, and can ask appropriate questions at the interview stage. I view my T2 as no different to say someone with asthma, or someone who leaves their workplace for a cigarette.

Hazel

disability

being a mum i am pleased that my son he is covered by DDA because untill will be older he cannot protect himself from the school enviroment and he will never be like his friends

Well I'm Type 1 and although I knew about the DDA I wasn't really aware of any legal rights for diabetics. Probably as I'm disabled through my bilateral hearing impairment, in other words I'm deaf. And I wear glasses. :D

As far as I am concerned, Diabetes is a disability and we should get legal rights to allow us to cope with is.

sofaraway - Even with my hearing aids I don't feel disabled, but at the end of the day, we both are so we may as well get what benefits we can out of this. 🙂

If I am disabled, I would like benefits and a free car please :D

But seriously, what rights do we have accept free prescriptions and free eye sight checks etc? because I really don't know.

If I am disabled, I would like benefits and a free car please :D

But seriously, what rights do we have accept free prescriptions and free eye sight checks etc? because I really don't know.

Good question Katie. I feel if you were to mention diabetes at any A&E you would probably be given priority treatment.

On the original question I have not felt that I am in any way disabled. Although I did have to enter this on my UCAS form in September I did not feel that it was necessary.
Although people would have me believe that I am radically different from other so called "normal" people I don't think that I am. I am able to do the tasks that they do, all I have to do is think just that little bit harder than they do.

Tom H

My view of the disability question, well no offence to anybody but i have never viewed myself as disabled and deeply resent any suggestion that a common medical condition would be viewed as such. I wasn't always allowed to participate in school trips etc, when younger, because of some very short sighted people.
This has reinforced my view that I shouldn't be treated differently to anyone else, wheather in education, sport, work etc.

You have to take full responsabilty for yourself, don't worry what people think or try to tell you. Test and inject in public, its not like anyone should feel ashamed or uncomfortable.
If a smoker gets brakes at work then surely a minute to test blood sugar shouldn't be out of the question? Would you call a smoker disabled?

Hey sorry rant finished🙂

Being from a differten country, I didn't know about any law and being labelled as 'disabled'.
Could anyone find or give more info on this law and what that means for us diabetics in every day life?

I have to say that at the moment I don't feel disabled at all. Obviously I have to watch what I eat and because I want to stay stable I need to eat little portions 5 times a day, but I can do that right next to my computer. I am also lucky not to have hypos and no complications, so I would have no problem in just working. The same hours and same way as anyone else, I just eat more often and take pills, that's it.

Obviously it would be a different matter if I had any complications. They can be really serious and keep you away from work. Same goes for people who have regular hypos, they cannot always get to work (or simply later).

I used to have a colleague with diabetes (T1), but he really messed things up. He didn't stick to his diet at all (eating cake/pie and drinking quite a lot of alcohol) and I have to admit I don't have any sympathy for people like that either. I understand that it's hard to be diabetic sometimes and we all have bad days and we all want to forget about it from time to time, but not a few times a week, as this man did. And that is the danger of it, people may take advantage of the rules and protection and mess things up for those of us who want to be as normal as possible.

Just my thoughts on this...

My view of the disability question, well no offence to anybody but i have never viewed myself as disabled and deeply resent any suggestion that a common medical condition would be viewed as such. I wasn't always allowed to participate in school trips etc, when younger, because of some very short sighted people.
This has reinforced my view that I shouldn't be treated differently to anyone else, wheather in education, sport, work etc.

You have to take full responsabilty for yourself, don't worry what people think or try to tell you. Test and inject in public, its not like anyone should feel ashamed or uncomfortable.
If a smoker gets brakes at work then surely a minute to test blood sugar shouldn't be out of the question? Would you call a smoker disabled?

Hey sorry rant finished🙂

Jock,

You've got my sentiments exactly on this matter. We are not disabled.

Tom H

I agree with Tom and Jock - I've only been disabled by the attitudes of other people, not by the diabetes nor insulin itself. I'd just like others to consider people with diabetes as individuals, rather imposing blanket bans on things that have affected me personally, such as minibus & van driving, professional SCUBA diving, rejoining Territorial Army, working in Antarctica etc. However, I concentrate on trying to do things I enjoy, and where possible, exerting my influence eg on youth expeditions to include people with diabetes and writing on travel health (see 5th edition Bugs, Bites & Bowels, due out spring 09 - I won't get any commission!)

I too don't see myself as disabled and agree that diabetes shouldn't restrict you doing activities but to me if it has to be 'labelled' as a disability to protect against being stopped from doing things like school trips then I welcome it.

Being from a differten country, I didn't know about any law and being labelled as 'disabled'.
Could anyone find or give more info on this law and what that means for us diabetics in every day life?

It's the disability discrimination act and diabetes can be included in it meaning diabetics have the same protection under it as people with other conditions etc. Means that businesses must make 'reasonable adjustments' etc for any special needs eg blood testing at work etc, I think most employers don't need the act to make accomodations like this but some may be less helpful so I guess it's useful in these circumstances.

I don't consider myself disabled, but at the moment diabetes is being used to my advantage. When I was first diagnosed I was told I had to tell my HR at work, so I did.

My firm is very understanding, and I have had a lot of time off sick since October. My doctor is an idiot, so I am seeing the Occupational Health people twice, once to asses my needs at work as I often work alone, and once to discuss my general well being and other medical needs.

I know not everyone gets the level of care I am getting from my employer, and not all employers are so understanding.

To me diabetes means I have to take pills for the rest of my life and I have to watch my diet, but I can still do things non diabetic people can.

I totally agree that I don't feel disabled and I've only once used my T1 to my advantage - in the '70s I hated the school 'mac' so used my T1 as a reason to get a warmer coat to protect me from getting a cold/chill or whatever else I could think of.

I've long supported the belief that I am just as 'normal' as the next man (or woman) but I do understand some people are in a far worse medical condition than me but I do get cross when Diabetes is used as an excuse in any way (so says she who did once!)

But, to my point, although I don't play on the fact I'm T1, I do understand the DDA means employers must make 'reasonable adjustments'. What exactly does this entail? My situation is that the Hospital Diabetic clinic is only on a day I go to work and my employer usually regards hospital appointments as using up part of my sick leave. As I sometimes use all my sick leave - last year I had my 6th operation on frozen shoulder - can I ask for 'reasonable adjustments' so that my sickleave is not affected?

hospital appointments are not sick leave. your employer is not being fair to you or any others by using up your sick leave in this way. i would be interested to see what would happen if this was challenged by someone as it seems they think they can get away with anything. im currently off work due to not being able to control my sugar levels well and my employer has told me to take as much time as i need and that they will still be paying me full pay not sick pay. i think it helps the fact my employers son is a type 1 diabetic to. it may be worth while to speak to you local union rep regarding this matter of sick leave for hospital appointments.

I agree with Mike - I thought employers had to give time off for hospital and dental appointments? My employer lets me have all the time off I need for my appointments...to the degree that I whenItook the morning off after my diagnosis to hide away in shock they wouldn't let me use my holiday for it.

Last edited:
im almost certain they cant use sick days for hospital appointments etc. im sure it covered by some government legislation. as i said tho contact your local union rep (even if your not in the union they will give you advice and then try to sign you up lol) as they are sometimes a font of information. i will also check this out for you and i can almost be certain its is classed as unpaid leave for medical purposes and not being sick as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back