Diabetes And Sparkling Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be no problem for me but then I don't think I have ever bought water from a supermarket. In my world water comes from a tap.

When I was diagnosed Type 1 in France in 1981, I was given many bottles of Vichy as part of the treatment! I doubt the fact that water is sparkling makes much difference.

Unflavoured sparkling water is a bit of an acquired taste it seems - as any number of folk don't like it! I do like it and have always opted for agua con gas from the first bottle I decided to try in 1967 - especially if I want to drink it cos I'm thirsty. However I wouldn't buy a bottle to drink with a meal out, if tap water was available free.

Sparkling water can affect sensitive bladders. But water from a tap contains so many chemicals it is an individual choice. I personally don't like the taste of tap water. Sometimes I boil a kettle and let the water cool which seems to make it taste better.

Please as being Diabetes can I drink sparkling water ? as I mistakenly picked some from the store instead of spring water.

There aren't any rules.
Water is fine though, fizzy water just has carbon dioxide in.
Flavoured water is usually sugar free, with the odd mix of chemicals to flavour it.
Everything is individual though, the only way to actually know on other drinks is to test afterwards.
If I'm thirsty, I'd drink pretty much anything.
(Probably not lucozade original, unless I was dieing in a desert though, then I would have no qualms at all)

Would be no problem for me but then I don't think I have ever bought water from a supermarket. In my world water comes from a tap.

Really, sometimes buy one when out & about, more so in summer as alternative to fizzy pop.

Really, sometimes buy one when out & about, more so in summer as alternative to fizzy pop.
I just take a water bottle with me and get it refilled. We have taps along the beach and plenty shops will fill a water bottle for you.

Agree with you @Lucyr - if I go out and think I might need something to drink I will fill a water bottle and take it with me. Old cycling habit I guess.

I just take a water bottle with me and get it refilled. We have taps along the beach and plenty shops will fill a water bottle for you.

Handy in that situation.

In towns & city's just pop into pound shops where you get 2 big bottles for £1, always from fridge as like water to be cold, that is why wouldnt take tap water with me, also spring water is much nicer.

I make my own sparkling water in a Sodastream using tap water which comes mainly from the Lake District and reservoirs in the Pennines, so it is basically rainwater and very soft. I often drink Soda Water with food.

The water supply to where I live now is supplied by pipes quite close to the surface, so at this time of year comes out cold from the tap.

Sparkling water can affect sensitive bladders. But water from a tap contains so many chemicals it is an individual choice. I personally don't like the taste of tap water. Sometimes I boil a kettle and let the water cool which seems to make it taste better.
How can sparkling water affect your bladder? Take out the bubbles and it's just plain water. I assume you are not suggesting that you get bubbles in your bladder, it's a physiological impossibility. The bubbles would have to get into your bloodstream, travel through the liver, lungs and heart before hitting the kidneys, by which time you will probably be dead.

I’ve always quite liked fizzy water for a change, but only have it very rarely. No effect on by BG.

Is it Fizzy if you are older and sparkling when you are younger?
Or is it a N/S thing?
It was always fizzy for me (lets get busy with the Fizzy, or more - its Frothy Man!), but in recent years when I get back home everyone keeps calling it 'sparkling' water
You know where you are with 'áqua com gás' - say it like it is
When I lived in Germany it was everywhere, especially mixed with apple juice - (Apfel)schorle - delish, but not for me now as I have decided to avoid juice and everything including plain water tastes delishous now I have changed my diet..
If you drink too much its not good for your teeth apparently, CO2 makes carbonic acid which attacks enamel, but probly thats only if you drink a lot of it a lot of the time. Apparently not according to the American Dental Association
I use a brita jug to get the chems out - water here is a hard as nails so need to or the kettle gets stalagmites, and it tastes better too. Plastic bottle water is everywhere here, but I think it tastes of, well, plastic.
Sorry, trying to avoid working.

Last edited:
How can sparkling water affect your bladder? Take out the bubbles and it's just plain water. I assume you are not suggesting that you get bubbles in your bladder, it's a physiological impossibility. The bubbles would have to get into your bloodstream, travel through the liver, lungs and heart before hitting the kidneys, by which time you will probably be dead.

That's the "bends" you are thinking of there.

However, ingesting co2, carbonic acid, effects on the urinary tract are a thing for those susceptible.

Is it Fizzy if you are older and sparkling when you are younger?
Er… I should hope not. I’m 14 and always called it Fizzy. 😱

I find no affect on BG from “sparkling” water. I always check the label - never trust if the bottle says sugar free

It’s fizzy water at home and sparkling in a restaurant :D

"The carbon dioxide in sparkling water tends to irritate the lining of the bladder. Carbonated beverages don't cause damage to your bladder per se, but they can cause an exacerbation of underlying bladder symptoms."

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/244950/your...-bladder-trouble-heres-why/?utm_campaign=clip

I’ve already explained the physiology of products leaving the intestines. Free carbon dioxide cannot possibly get from the gut to the kidneys. The statement you quote does not come from a scientific paper. I ask again, do you actually believe a carbonated drink can cause free carbon dioxide bubbles in the bladder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back