Diabetes and Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was diagnosed in 2011. It was a panic going home on the bus. I called a friend who had type 1 for 30 years. He reassured me. Prior to this I had coped with anxiety and depressive episodes. It was like a delayed response. I felt angry, then before I realised a depression came on. I recall having a cry, and getting reassurance from the Diabetes Support line. Since then, I was aware I had diabetes. Had my Hba1c tests. I was OK. Then when eye screen test came last month. It put a downer. A need for me to know my diabetes is still there. Positive from it, it got me to self check my blood pressure. In the process of acknowledging and accepting the eye test results, and making the necessary adjustments.
Thank you for sharing that it brave of all of you to share

i have suffered from for a long long time with anxiety and depression with psychotic features , when i was eventually diagnosed with type diabetes and then chronic pancreatitis i was very very scared , sometimes it feels like there is no way out , as mentioned before a lot meds anti psychotics and even anti depresants and mood stabilsers can cause weight gain , its a constant struggle with diabetes and mental illness , peer support groups can really help but the services for mental illness are shocking absolutely shocking in this country at the present time , the services for diabetes are not much better either

i have suffered from for a long long time with anxiety and depression with psychotic features , when i was eventually diagnosed with type diabetes and then chronic pancreatitis i was very very scared , sometimes it feels like there is no way out , as mentioned before a lot meds anti psychotics and even anti depresants and mood stabilsers can cause weight gain , its a constant struggle with diabetes and mental illness , peer support groups can really help but the services for mental illness are shocking absolutely shocking in this country at the present time , the services for diabetes are not much better either

The mental health services are a disgrace . They have always been bad but under this government they are appalling and not fit for purpose .

I have given up on them and just see my GP and my local MIND .

And they are far from good .

It makes me laugh when you hear that mental health is now taken far more seriously. What an absolute load of rubbish .

As someone in an difficult home situation (I’m fine don’t worry,I do talk to my school) the diabetes on top of everything else makes it all so much harder to cope with. It’s really easy to put up the I’m fine attitude until burn out hits you like a freight train and you feel you can’t carry on but you force yourself to pull through.

A day of bad BG has a habit of appearing at the wrong time but you just have to remember that it will get better, that we all have good days and we all have bad days

As someone in an difficult home situation (I’m fine don’t worry,I do talk to my school) the diabetes on top of everything else makes it all so much harder to cope with. It’s really easy to put up the I’m fine attitude until burn out hits you like a freight train and you feel you can’t carry on but you force yourself to pull through.

A day of bad BG has a habit of appearing at the wrong time but you just have to remember that it will get better, that we all have good days and we all have bad days

God bless you x

Yes I had to give up work , I just couldn't handle it
Yeah, it's interesting that the jokecentre couldn't care less about my mental health issues. As soon as I told them I have a serious problem walking they told me to go on the sick. I also had to tell the job coach that there are different levels of severity with anxiety, she did not have a clue.

Yeah I piled on the weight when I started taking anti-psychotics. But at the time I was of the opinion I would rather put on weight than have the on another planet symptoms. The anxiety has got ridiculous. I had to resign from a well paid job in the Civil Service because I couldn't physically do the job. But as you would expect with an employer like the Civil Service they went out of their way to help. But I questioned whether that job was suitable for someone with a serious mental illness from the start and three months later after going through an absolute nightmare I was proven right.
Also during induction to the Civil Service a senior member of staff suggested you shouldn't take suicide seriously if it's someone claiming benefits. She should be out of a job in my opinion.

Also during induction to the Civil Service a senior member of staff suggested you shouldn't take suicide seriously if it's someone claiming benefits. She should be out of a job in my opinion.
That is absolutley disgusting but i am not surprised i have even psychiatric nurses and mental health workers say similar thing , you get some good ones and bad ones

First thing the doctors surgery said to me was lose weight. They didn't seem to want to hear I've been on meds with weight gain as a side effect for 30 years. Meds they put me on. Funny that.

D
First thing the doctors surgery said to me was lose weight. They didn't seem to want to hear I've been on meds with weight gain as a side effect for 30 years. Meds they put me on. Funny that.
Did they put you on anti psychotics , were the old ones or newer ones , and did they help your illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back