Dexcom G4 and G5 Discontiued No warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dralina

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

Thanks you very much for the add. I used to be on this forum a while.

I purchased a new Dexcom receiver and transmitter in April (G4) to be told they were definitely not stopping it...…..I rang today to get some sensors...nope letters and emails send out a month ago apparently stating this fact. I've had nothing! I have 2 months left on transmitter and 8 months left on receiver! They were not very forthcoming saying they couldn't refund. I burst out crying and they appear to be trying to sort something now after I literally sobbed. I self fund and have wasted a lot of money. Anyone on here have the same issue? Were you notified. Its weird how I've googled and there is no mention of it. Apparently even though I've paid for the G4 they are only giving the sensors to the hospital! I can almost understand them stopping the G4 (although not the way they have done this) however why have they stopped the G5 too....Im wondering if I sign up to the G6 which Im not happy about they next thing I know I will be calling and them saying I now have to have te G7....so sorry for the rant. I kinda had to get it out otherwise I will be crying at my desk again...…………….

I have had no notification either, so that's bad on Dexcom's part. I've just changed over to the G6, so if you want a sensor for the G4/5 let me know and you are welcome to it. The others have been rehomed to someone else.

Thank you Sue I'm pretty shocked how they have gone about it. I don't understand re the G5 being that it is still heavily used. I am awaiting a call from a manager tomorrow to see what they can do. I shall see what they say.... Can I get back to you tomorrow eve re your offer? I will let you know either way! I would also love to get your views on the G6!

Thank you Sue I'm pretty shocked how they have gone about it. I don't understand re the G5 being that it is still heavily used. I am awaiting a call from a manager tomorrow to see what they can do. I shall see what they say.... Can I get back to you tomorrow eve re your offer? I will let you know either way! I would also love to get your views on the G6!
There's no problem re you having the sensor 🙂 You should be able to get anything from 14 - 40 days from one sensor so at least it's a bit of help.
I've looked on the net and there is no mention anywhere about stopping the G5 so I wonder what is going on. There have been rumours for a while that Dex were going to stop the G4 transmitters as Animas have stopped selling pumps now. Your transmitter if it's the G4 will last a year

The G6 is ok but not as reliable as they claim and I as sure as hell would not make a clinical decision on the readings given. It can and has been 2 points above finger poke. It has got better as the days go by but still having readings 1.0 out from a finger poke.

Sue I too cannot find anything on internet either! It is like the UK office have just made some ridiculous reason to get me moved to the G6. I'm definitely taking it further if they don't resolve this. I will be going right to the top! That for his link. I'm armed with information! They too sent me theetter re the alarm! I've asked them to send me the letter /email they supposed to have sent me. Will keep you all posted! Andrea

Hi
I'm really pissed off as well, as used G4/seven plus systems for over 8 years and not been notified, apparently they sent out emails in May/June. I also got the letter about G4/5 alerts for ??? a week ago so why didn't they send us recorded letters to notify us of such as major decision to stop the g4/5. I also got verbal confirmation in March that they had no plans to discontinue G4/5. They still sell them in US. I check US site Tudiabetes as more folks use CGMS and read many negative reports on the G6 as being less accurate than the 4. I can't switch to G6 until I get new phone. I am very reluctant to throw out a working iPhone 4, as takes good photos. I've registered with Abbot to get starter kit for libre but they are not taking new customers & can't say when available, as can use their reader instead of phone app.

Hi Jade- I'm sorry to hear you are in the same boat. I'm still awaiting a phone call from a manager. I now have a copy of the letter supposedly sent! dated 10th May...…….10 days after I bought a new receiver and transmitter. Not only that..it stated that support/warranty will continue to May 2020 however orders need to be in before May 31st 2019......so it doesn't even make any sense! If we could order supplies within a few weeks we would have to off bought a lot of G4 sensors in one go!. Have you put a complaint with Dexcom? Andrea

I complained on the phone today, they just sent me info about G6! I bought new receiver and transmitter last November. I love the g4 receiver as small and fits in pockets and clothing when no pocket available, but can't put a phone discretely in one's bra.

That is bad! I feel sorry for the people on the phone. To be fair they have all been very nice and I know the decision has been made above them and they must be getting a lot of angry people on the phone to deal with :(

I complained on the phone today, they just sent me info about G6! I bought new receiver and transmitter last November. I love the g4 receiver as small and fits in pockets and clothing when no pocket available, but can't put a phone discretely in one's bra.
The G6 receiver is 6.5cm by 10.5cm have you thought about using a bum bag when no pockets available. The alarm is rather loud on the high setting so easily heard 🙂

I've apologised for being a little rude to person I spoke to at Dexcom, as know its not good listening to people complain about issues you have no control over. I will use rest of sensors whilst decide on which new phone to get, and then probably switch to G6.
I have used money belt to hold receiver in past as no way would I wear a bum bag again, not worn one since the 80's 😱

I've apologised for being a little rude to person I spoke to at Dexcom, as know its not good listening to people complain about issues you have no control over. I will use rest of sensors whilst decide on which new phone to get, and then probably switch to G6.
I have used money belt to hold receiver in past as no way would I wear a bum bag again, not worn one since the 80's 😱
Awww yeah I was really upset and found it hard not to completely direct my anger at the person on the phone. Let's see what the G6 is like!

The G6 receiver is 6.5cm by 10.5cm have you thought about using a bum bag when no pockets available. The alarm is rather loud on the high setting so easily heard 🙂
Hi Sue I'm glad you said the alarm was loud as was concerned by some people saying it was a little quieter than before. I would like to thank you for your offer of a sensor however I have a couple left and getting the G6 delivered with a bit of a discount after taking my complaint further. Which is a shame that I have had to! I think they realised that having 2 months warranty left on transmitter and 8 months on my receiver was taking the Michael some what. And having spent thousands over the years with them! Please save this for anyone else who may be more need. I shall let you know how the G6 goes! Week Andrea

Awww yeah I was really upset and found it hard not to completely direct my anger at the person on the phone. Let's see what the G6 is like!
I still feel.it is bad they just fobbed you off with G6 information though. Re the receiver situation I always keep in pocket or continually carry by bag round and keep near me. People often wonder why I'm so attached to my bag

They have a special deal £159 for a transmitter and 3 sensors which hopefully still on offer when I finally sort out a new phone. Which was going to do last year but wanted to stick with G4 and couldn't decide which phone to get. Yes I am still annoyed about the lack of communication from Dexcom but I want to continue with their systems.

They have a special deal £159 for a transmitter and 3 sensors which hopefully still on offer when I finally sort out a new phone. Which was going to do last year but wanted to stick with G4 and couldn't decide which phone to get. Yes I am still annoyed about the lack of communication from Dexcom but I want to continue with their systems.
If you are going to go with the G6 then sign up for the 12 months you get a transmitter and 9 sensors for £159. Sensors last 10 days This lot is sent to you every 3 months so you have 37 sensors I believe and the 4 transmitters over the year.

If you are going to go with the G6 then sign up for the 12 months you get a transmitter and 9 sensors for £159. Sensors last 10 days This lot is sent to you every 3 months so you have 37 sensors I believe and the 4 transmitters over the year.

So £159 for 3 months? (£636 for a year?) (That would be 36 sensors rather than 37, unless they throw in an extra one.)

That seems rather cheap: is there some extra required purchase? (£636 per year would make it significantly cheaper than the FreeStyle Libre even for the NHS, so I can't help suspecting something's not quite right.)

So £159 for 3 months? (£636 for a year?) (That would be 36 sensors rather than 37, unless they throw in an extra one.)

That seems rather cheap: is there some extra required purchase? (£636 per year would make it significantly cheaper than the FreeStyle Libre even for the NHS, so I can't help suspecting something's not quite right.)
£159 trial = one month.
https://www.dexcom.com/en-GB/uk-dexcom-g6-cgm-system

I probably worded one of my posts badly but yep it's £159/month but you pay four months at a time and have the 37 sensors over the year which is £1908/year and if you need a receiver then it's an extra £290 the receiver has a 12month guarantee but does last a lot longer than that.

I find this staggering but this attitude exists in many areas. The assumption seems to be we will deal with the flak as and when it comes knowing many will not bother.

Decades ago my parents signed me up for life membership of MedicAlert then over a decade ago they decided to charge s significant amount for each change. Same with TomTom - it came with free lifetime upgrades to the maps and after a year they decided to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back