device for testing blood sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

massspec

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type two diabetes. Could anyone recommend a good device for testing blood sugar, please

I have type two diabetes. Could anyone recommend a good device for testing blood sugar, please
The two cheapest (and perfectly usable) listed here:

If you are self funding then the Gluco Navii or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 are both considered to be good reliable meters which are economical to use by members of the forum here. ie. They are tried and tested and work. There are more up market meters and some manufacturers will give you the meter for free but that is because they make their money on the test strips which can sometimes be 3x the price of the test strips for the two I mentioned above and you tend to go through a lot of test strips.... which are not universal... each meter needs it's own specifically designed test strips.

Many find the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2 good as they have the cheapest test strips and are available on line.
Ones from the pharmacy tend to have strips as much as 4 times the price and all monitors have to meet certain standards.

You get a few strips and lancets in the initial kit but should buy more at the outset. You do not have to pay VAT.

@massspec - And with the Spirit TEE2 which I use, the best place I found was Tesco, 50 strips for £11.75. my local pharmacy charge £17 25 for the same amount.

You may well get them for free if you ask your Diabetes nurse - I did and no longer have to buy them.

@massspec - And with the Spirit TEE2 which I use, the best place I found was Tesco, 50 strips for £11.75. my local pharmacy charge £17 25 for the same amount.

You may well get them for free if you ask your Diabetes nurse - I did and no longer have to buy them.
The Tesco price is pretty good, they are cheaper on Amazon but with delivery it works out about the same.

You get them on prescription because you are using Gliclazide (I believe) which can cause hypos, so they are obliged to supply you with a means of testing.
Always worth asking your GP or nurse though. They can only say "No"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back