Design your own Insulin Pen Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irnbrurab

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I recently changed my insulin from Levimir to Tresiba and have been annoyed that my fast-acting insulin case is the same as my long-term one. I see this as an opportunity to get a pen that I can design with something I like, but I can't find anything, does this sort of thing exist?

I keep both my insulin pens in the same case, so don't really understand the need for making cases different or indeed having two cases.... Am I missing something? Obviously my pens are different colours, but both in the same case and go everywhere with me.

I took my pens out of their case and put them in a bag with my meter (also out of its case) and hypo treats.
The only time my pens go in a case is when it is hot. I put both of them in a Frio wallet.
The rest of the time, i find the cases are just unnecessary padding.
Maybe I am biased because diabetes forced me to take a bag out. If I did have diabetes, I would just carry a credit card, phone and house key.

Are your insulin pens both the same colour @irnbrurab ? If so, you can ask for a different colour pen or if you still have the case belonging to your old pen, you can use that

Welcome @irnbrurab 🙂 I’m on a pump but have back-up pens. I generally prefer individual pen cases too, mainly because if I’m out for the day I want to take the minimum I need with me, ie just my fast-acting insulin.

I haven’t heard of any ‘design your own case’ things, but you could look at what’s available commercially and buy one that suits you. I did that for one of my pens as the case it came with was complete rubbish.

Or, you could simply buy a cheap pencil case or bag and use that.

I generally prefer individual pen cases too, mainly because if I’m out for the day I want to take the minimum I need with me, ie just my fast-acting insulin.
So do I. Also with my cases, if I carry only one pen I can also fit an empty pot of test strips and I use it to put the used needles.

It doesn't bother me than both my cases are identical as usually only carry fast acting around and basal stays home and I keep the case open to take it easily in the morning, so I know which pen it is. I find much more important than the pens themselves are different colours. That being said, if you prefer different cases so you don't have to open them to check, you can look online or as Inka said, buy a small pencil case, you'd probably find more variety of designs.

@helli I get what you mean. I have always been the type of girl to carry a bag and often fill it with too many "just in case" things, but still there are times where I'd like to carry only the minimum and is surprising how this "minimum" increased since I am diabetic. I have a small bum bag for parties and such, its purpose was to fit the essential phone-keys-tissues if my outfit didn't have pockets. I took this bag out on Saturday and once I put my diabetes stuff in I still need a pocket for my phone 🙄:rofl:

Just stick them in a pencil case or I use a cheap version of an apple pen case. I wouldn’t bother carrying round two seperate pen cases and a meter case when just one will do the job. My pen case currently contains lantus, apidra, pill case, bg meter, pot of test strips, fastclix lancing device and needles. It’s slightly smaller than the pen case that came with the pen was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back