Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellie01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all, just wondered if anybody suddenly started suffering with depression after being diagnosed with diabetes. I am going to ask my doctor about going on anti depressents tomorrow, as have a lot of other things going on and just want to feel like me again. I am.crying a lot, have little apetite, have no.energy and just feel like crap, not sleeping more than an hour or 2 a night. Was just wondering if anti deressents might help. It is horrible when i look at how i am now compared to how i was, i just want to be the old me, who had energy, laughed a lot, was the life and soul at work, but am nothing like that now x

Hi Kellie
I’m so sorry your suffering from depression,it’s horrible, I was the same a couple of years ago,no energy,not sleeping well and having anxiety. This was not me, even my family noticed I wasn’t the same person,but as man I was too proud to say anything,that’s typical.
I got the courage to speak to my wife,she was very supportive, I contacted the doc,went to health in mind and the counselling was very helpful and it was good to talk to a stranger.
I did go on medication,was on it for a year,it certainly helped,I gradually came off it,I must admit I feel like myself again but still get the odd day when I don’t feel great.
Hopefully you get through this horrible depression but remember talk about it and get medical advice, good luck.

Hi Kellie
I find my sugar levels impact on my mood and any negative HCP appointments don’t help, have you read the diabetes distress information on the website? Really helped me understand things x

Ps well done on recognising and going to your Gp.

Hi Kellie. I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling with your mental health but you're really brave for reaching out by posting on the forum and going to the GP. Let us know how it goes and please never hesitate to reach out on the forum! <3

You are definitely doing the right thing talking to your GP. Depression can feel totally overwhelming and we are often conditioned to ‘just get on with it’ rather than seeking help.

When I was first diagnosed in January this year, I had what I would call a despondent period, where I just couldn’t comprehend how I had let myself get into the position I was in. It wasn’t full depression but I was quite low.

My diagnosis however has been a turning point in my life and has possibly been the best thing that could have happened. It sounds ridiculous but I now have total control over something that had controlled me for many years………food!!

Go and talk to your GP, take the tablets but also take any counselling if it’s offered. Good luck and take care xx

Well done on reaching out for support from your GP and on here, there are a number of us on here who suffer with mental health issues, my depression isn’t directly because of my diabetes, but I am sure the diabetes, BG jumping all over the place hasnt helped me, but with Help it is entirely possible to manage depression, again Like diabetes I don’t think I will ever be cured of depression, but have learnt coping strategies.

But please reach out on here.

So sorry how difficult you are finding things @kellie01

A diagnosis can result in a form of grieving for your lost health - which can involve a torrent of very powerful emotions including depression, anger, and denial - along with other emotional states.

Depression is a very challenging and serious condition - but it is treatable or manageable and in most cases people fully recover. Plus if your current mental health dip is connected to adjusting to your diagnosis, there is a good chance you can learn to reach a form of acceptance.

Eventually you may even be able to identify some benefits that came from your diagnosis?

Yes very difficult when first diagnosed to come to terms with.see gp talking therapy is good CBT.
@kellie01 there are a few bits about cbt in this link if you would like to find out some more. I'm sure this will be offered across many parts of the country too, not easily though.

Anti-depressants do work @kellie01 You’ve done absolutely the right thing speaking to your GP. A course of anti-depressants could help you through by taking the edge of things. You’d be surprised at how many people need support with depression.

There are self-help things too, which you could do in conjunction with the ADs. Talking/counselling is really good because it helps you untangle the thoughts in your head. Once you’ve done that, it’s easier to look at them objectively and begin to sort things over time.

Your lack of sleep must be crippling physically and mentally. I had a period like that. It was as though my brain couldn’t go through the steps to sleep. It wasn’t me lying there worrying. It actually felt like some glitch in my brain that meant I couldn’t drop off. My brain would cycle through the early steps of sleep but then suddenly jerk me fully awake. It was very weird. I asked for medication and got a short course of sleeping tablets. They helped enormously. Once I was sleeping, I felt I could cope much better. I gradually cut my dose down and kept back a couple of tablets for ‘emergencies’. Just knowing they were by my bed in case I couldn’t sleep was a huge relief. Look after yourself xx

Your lack of sleep must be crippling physically and mentally.
Yes, and lack of sleep is known to cause low mood, depression and feelings of not being able to cope. It can become a vicious cycle where depression/anxiety can affect sleep and lack of sleep can affect depression etc. Breaking this cycle is the key sometimes to getting back on an even footing.

Well done on seeking help @kellie01 . It is common to experience anxiety and/or depression.. it takes time to get used to the changes we have to make with our diagnosis.

One thing I think that is important to recognise is that we can never get our levels perfect. Whilst we have improved technology and a variety of tech to help us, we still don’t have a working pancreas, so all we can do is manage the best use of what we have available. I set myself totally unrealistic targets , got better and better at manageing my levels, and then didn’t improve, because it was impossible.

Take time to get used to the change, ask questions on here and tap into the wealth of experience available. Come and have a moan or a rant. Whatever will help you.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and messages of support. I think i am just finding it hard as never felt like this before but hopefully the tablets will help. I have a very supportive family and my partner has been amazing. I have managed to get my HbA1c levels down enough to have my cataracts done next month, so i think that will help by being able to see properly again, so thank you all again, i appreciate it x

Thank you everyone for your kind words and messages of support. I think i am just finding it hard as never felt like this before but hopefully the tablets will help. I have a very supportive family and my partner has been amazing. I have managed to get my HbA1c levels down enough to have my cataracts done next month, so i think that will help by being able to see properly again, so thank you all again, i appreciate it x
pleased to hear you have support at home, having your cataracts done will make a huge difference. But we will also help support you, that is the great thing with this forum, we all joined because of diabetes, but so much more is discussed and supported.

I cannot say actually having my cataracts done were enjoyable experiences at all, even though I'd seen the video etc - because I hadn't any clue whatever how I would find the procedure - however, the end result makes the entire thing pale into complete insignificance!

Plus I also know that the procedure has changed more than just subtly since the NHS did mine and is now apparently much easier for patients all in all, which is great.

Reactions: Tdm
I cannot say actually having my cataracts done were enjoyable experiences at all, even though I'd seen the video etc - because I hadn't any clue whatever how I would find the procedure - however, the end result makes the entire thing pale into complete insignificance!

Plus I also know that the procedure has changed more than just subtly since the NHS did mine and is now apparently much easier for patients all in all, which is great.
I am being put out to have mine done, so hopefully wont be as bad x

I have joined this to talk about diabetes and I'm having a habc1 test next week (currently pre-diabetic) but I have just noticed this post. I have had cloudy vision for months and have just been told I have cataracts. I don't know to do, not sure what my future holds now.

I have joined this to talk about diabetes and I'm having a habc1 test next week (currently pre-diabetic) but I have just noticed this post. I have had cloudy vision for months and have just been told I have cataracts. I don't know to do, not sure what my future holds now.
Cataract removal operations are very successful and can restore vision to better than it was before. Recovery is usually pretty quick as well. The sooner you get a referral the bettter.

Absolutely! Like any number of other medical procedures - it's a lot more scary thinking about it before hand than it actually is when you have it done! Simply not allowed to drive for a few weeks until you have your new eyesight tested and the surgeon signs you off. It was about another year before I had the other eye done. No probs since.

Absolutely! Like any number of other medical procedures - it's a lot more scary thinking about it before hand than it actually is when you have it done! Simply not allowed to drive for a few weeks until you have your new eyesight tested and the surgeon signs you off. It was about another year before I had the other eye done. No probs since.
Was there a long wait to get treatment for the first cataract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back