demographics of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This forum does seem very top heavy with the fairer sex (prob not a PC phrase but who gives a ***) but diabetes is supposed to be more common in men.

• The Drs have been lying to us and more women have D
  • Its just type 2 that is more common in men
  • Is this because women are more happy chatting about these things
  • Men post on another forum
  • The men are having a macho attack and are pretending to be women
  • Some other reason
  • A combination of the above

I think that the female members just tend to be more active on the forum, sandy. Men tend to start new threads when they have a specific problem, but the ladies join in on anything and everything!😉

7 out of 10 of the top posters are female.

Most women like a natter, I think. The men say what they want in few sentences whereas us women tend to say a bit more and more often (I know I can ramble on) 🙂

Most women like a natter, I think. The men say what they want in few sentences whereas us women tend to say a bit more and more often (I know I can ramble on) 🙂

I agree. Also snap, get me started & I can waffle for ages and pretty much say nothing worthwhile at all 😉

In general, men want an answer, women want a chat.

I dont think its so much as women wanting a 'natter' as much as women are natural 'carers' and like to nurture people. I think most of the women on here tend to offer help and advice - whereas in general the men tend to just ask questions.🙂Bev

Something I have noticed is that we tend to get a lot more young women (18-25) than we do young men in that age group. I imagine the young men have just as many problems as the young women, but are less likely to seek help or admit it.

Yeh to be honest I don't come on here for a natter, I come on here just to see if I can help anyone. Don't think I've asked any questions actually. When I do reply, they are long replies, need to learn to reign them in a bit.🙂

Well as you know i dont often post on here im a very quiet church mouse:D but i must admit it is very woman orientated in here .I think men like directness and mainly post as has been said when they need to know or find out something i dread to think the amount of threads i have posted that have just been after a natter

This forum does seem very top heavy with the fairer sex (prob not a PC phrase but who gives a ***) but diabetes is supposed to be more common in men.

• Some other reason

The other aspect of the demographic balance on this group is the number of active T1s on it.
T2 diabetics form 90% of all dmers and so forums ( e.g. alt.support.diabetes)usually default to T2 ambiences. And then to Low Carb wars and then to Cholesterol Wars.
Its good that there is a more active T1 participation here, and fortunately Low Carb preachers and Cholesterol Warriors are largely absent.

The other aspect of the demographic balance on this group is the number of active T1s on it.
T2 diabetics form 90% of all dmers and so forums ( e.g. alt.support.diabetes)usually default to T2 ambiences. And then to Low Carb wars and then to Cholesterol Wars.
Its good that there is a more active T1 participation here, and fortunately Low Carb preachers and Cholesterol Warriors are largely absent.

Thanks for that Peter. I've only been at this lark for less than two years and tend not to spend too much time elsewhere, so it's useful to have the insight of someone who has been around forums (and Usenet!) for a while. I must admit, I like the open nature of this forum - most other forums are so fragmented that half the time you don't know where your post might belong - or you miss the experiences and advice of people in other sections. I've learned a lot about diabetes from the huge range of experiences of all different types and ages. Whilst there are specifics to each type, it's still all about diet, activity, medication and managing your blood sugars!

While the T1, pumping, injecting and tab taking are not directly relevant to my condition (as I mentioned in my other post) reading about them has reinforced my desire not to have to go down that route. I am hoping that 3 years of poorish control hasn't done to much/any damage and that I can get better control and keep it that way.

• Some other reason

I think it is something to do with the forum being pink! 🙂

Is that why you like it Lou? Being the pink pumper! 🙂

Indeed! 🙂

But, I would actually prefer it to be green, my favourite colour (medtronic dont produce a green pump before you ask Phil!).

To me, the pink colour is very 'diabetes uk' associated....but I think a neutral green colour or something would be more appealing to both genders. Or am I being a 'colourist'? 🙂

Indeed! 🙂

But, I would actually prefer it to be green, my favourite colour (medtronic dont produce a green pump before you ask Phil!).

To me, the pink colour is very 'diabetes uk' associated....but I think a neutral green colour or something would be more appealing to both genders. Or am I being a 'colourist'? 🙂

Green is one of my favourite colours too along with black and grey. 🙂

Don't you dare! Hope you had a good time in the land of the hairy Scots!:D

Twas good still trying to sober up to be honest!!

Anyway I see it as more a blood stained colour to do with finger pricking fun?!

I am hoping that 3 years of poorish control hasn't done to much/any damage and that I can get better control and keep it that way.

Hi Sandy,
what have your A1cs been like over that period ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back