Db dieticians! I dont get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just change your basal dose then? It’s your diabetes and your choice how much you take. She isn’t coming round and injecting you with it.
It takes courage to tell a supposedly trained HCP that you ignored their advice and did what a bunch of people on the internet said. And what about her other patients, who may not have other resources such as the forum, or books etc to inform them? It’s worrying when someone who you are looking to for guidance is apparently unable to interpret a blood glucose pattern.

Mmm sorry for causing conflict here but my thread has gone way off topic. My question and frustration has nothing to do with type 2. Itbis to do with a db nurse whos expecting me to be constantly eating to keep up with a basal level thats too high.
Apologies. Probably my fault for overreacting to Travellor.

To be honest your line wasn’t flat, it was descending, which means you are right it indicates too much basal. I can’t recommend “think like a pancreas” by Gary Scheiner more highly. It explains in words of one syllable all this sort of thing and it certainly gave me lots of confidence to deal with it, without advice from well-meaning HCPs.

I would like to write more because I feel that my post has been misinterpreted, but this thread has clearly strayed far too far from the OP's original intent.

@Robin's comment above is very apt. It takes a lot of guts and self confidence to go against the guidance from your HCPs. I found this from the start with my diabetes diagnosis... both Type 2 and Type 1 diagnoses. Finding what is right for you as an individual is important, rather than following advice from someone who doesn't live with your diabetes, no matter how well qualified and well intending they are. This forum gave me that confidence and I am extremely grateful for it and I would urge @gillrogers to listen to your own intuition and do what feels right to you, but be open to change if things don't work out. It might be 6 months before you see the dietician again and a lot can happen in that time and you have to manage things day to day and meal by meal during that period. I still sometimes worry about what my consultant will say when he sees my results (even though they are mostly very good), but we all make poor decisions from time to time because we are making hundreds and hundreds of decisions about our diabetes on a weekly basis and we can't get them all right. As long as we are not making the same mistakes time and time again or do nothing to counteract those poor management decisions then we are doing well and should not worry about what anyone says or thinks because we are doing our best.

I would like to write more because I feel that my post has been misinterpreted, but this thread has clearly strayed far too far from the OP's original intent.

@Robin's comment above is very apt. It takes a lot of guts and self confidence to go against the guidance from your HCPs. I found this from the start with my diabetes diagnosis... both Type 2 and Type 1 diagnoses. Finding what is right for you as an individual is important, rather than following advice from someone who doesn't live with your diabetes, no matter how well qualified and well intending they are. This forum gave me that confidence and I am extremely grateful for it and I would urge @gillrogers to listen to your own intuition and do what feels right to you, but be open to change if things don't work out. It might be 6 months before you see the dietician again and a lot can happen in that time and you have to manage things day to day and meal by meal during that period. I still sometimes worry about what my consultant will say when he sees my results (even though they are mostly very good), but we all make poor decisions from time to time because we are making hundreds and hundreds of decisions about our diabetes on a weekly basis and we can't get them all right. As long as we are not making the same mistakes time and time again or do nothing to counteract those poor management decisions then we are doing well and should not worry about what anyone says or thinks because we are doing our best.
Thanks Barbara, my problem is i can never seem to make the right decisions/response when things start changing and then it gets out of hand. This all started because i thought i was needing to raise my basal because of certain indicators i was getting and ended up having that horrid nose dive that took a while to get out of. It scared the living daylights out of me and knocked my confidence. So i forced myself to find time to do basal testing which showed up this pattern of bgs dropping from 11am that can go on until 4pm. So ive discovered how my day time levemir works on me and it answers certain questions as to why my meal time boluses are so different. Actually from what ive seen of its profile what im seeing is correct. So thanks to you I've learnt so much. And my instincts are saying to follow this groups advice and you know what its backed up by what ive been reading from other NHS trusts as well as DB professionals published papers.

But now im getting a cold and having indicators my basal is rising probably in response to that so i will put it up.

I think to be fair the db nurses/dieticians as so pushed that they dont have time to take on board everyones individual nuances with their own db and look just at the graph and nothing else.

Apologies. Probably my fault for overreacting to Travellor.

To be honest your line wasn’t flat, it was descending, which means you are right it indicates too much basal. I can’t recommend “think like a pancreas” by Gary Scheiner more highly. It explains in words of one syllable all this sort of thing and it certainly gave me lots of confidence to deal with it, without advice from well-meaning HCPs.
Thanks Patti. It does doesnt it. Im on a fast this afternoon and its dropping slightly much slower. Im sure if i could get my starting point lowered my line would be fine. It is actually quite level just too high. Must get that book. I do keep hearing about it.

Probably your fault for fat shaming?

You could single handedly sort out fat people?

"in the end many people are eating the wrong diet."

Sorry, fat and lazy people I believe you said?

"Not only bad diet, but overeating and a sedentary lifestyle."
It may be best to stay on topic. OP is a real person with a real problem. We can help and support them. That's not helped by thread going off topic. You've made your point, I don't think taking it any further is likely to achieve anything.

It may be best to stay on topic. OP is a real person with a real problem. We can help and support them. That's not helped by thread going off topic. You've made your point, I don't think taking it any further is likely to achieve anything.

Good.

I hope we don't see similar again.

I am currently locking the thread to avoid strong differing opinions of members and the conversation going off topic. In terms of our user guidelines and by joining the forum you have a responsibility not to post any content or material which breach our user guidelines or terms and rules. Our guidelines and terms apply to material which is shared both publicly AND privately.

No one should:
  1. Act with the intention to cause conflict or division within the community, inclusive of posting inflammatory messages or with intent to provoke emotional responses from others.
Please take this into account and for your future posts.

Josh DUK
Online Community and Learning Manager

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back