Dafne...why oh why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Tdm, hope you've found the reserve energy tank to stay to the end!

I'm curious to know if any aspect of CGM has been covered so far - or indeed gets covered tomorrow (even a little)?

We had a Consultant from the Hospital accept questions from us; using Teams or similar for about an hour and I think that was on Day 4 midday, but that might have been programmed to fit in with that Consultant's schedule from Day 5. That was informative for me, I could ask T3c questions which the trainer DSN couldn't take. If you've not already had that session and will get it tomorrow you could ask if there are particular factors that might cause the apparent midnight dips and could those be attributed to your possible honeymoon "excursions".

Anyway, would be interested to know what your overall feeling is after Day 5. Did things get a bit better?

We aren't doing the 'ask the doctor bit'.
I survived day 4 with a moment of some annoyance.
Someone here has been moved onto fiasp and goes low after eating and taking fiasp. This had happen 2 days in a row. First time below 4. Second time they even miscalculated and took a lot less fiasp than ratio suggest, so not a case off too much fiasp. But they say daphne needs a pattern and the second one, as caught at just above 4 with some jelly babies, is still in range, so no changes should be made!
I suggested, as both meals were fatty, it could be a timing issue, but daphne organisers said, too early to change. They want them to go below 4 again before they say theyshould change anything!
The person is wanting to give up on seperate insulins and go back to mixed insulins as a result. I don't think this has been handled well.

I think daphne perpetuated the 'hcp knows best' and is not intested in participants experience. I think brainstorming with participants how to solve their OWN issues would be more useful, they'll have to do it shortly...i mean, 2 of the people there were diagnosed as kids, so lots of experience there.

One wasn't too happy i refused to adjust my ratios to solve a problem that had nothing to do with ratios. I'm not making changes when i don't understand or agree with the rational behind it. (The other one did actually say she thought it wasn't my ratios, to be fair)

My body, my diabetes, my decisions

Will report back after day 5. I'm looking forward to the session where are the tests, eg kidney function etc, are explained, as i have no idea

I am sorry the course is not going as you would like. Please take care not to blame it on DAFNE. It sounds to me as if the problems you are experiencing are with the trainers not the material. A good trainer can identify different needs of their students and is open to learn themselves and admit when they don't know.

Just out of interest are you doing a a full week in s row then mine was every Friday for 5 weeks but mine was remote. My slight annoyance with it was the nurse kept saying whenever it's was mentioned how about patterns and at least at one point how I was checking blood sugar 'ite so much easier with the libre" when me it wasn't me because of how unrealibe it was me but that's was something I had to explain time and time again when but evet I went to hospital. Bur the other then that mine was good and the nurse was accepted of the fact then some people might have already work out that some people that they had to bolus for things the material said not tom

Well, happier now, cos i have stopped my basal which has fixed the dive in blood sugars in the early hours.
Why i no longer, for now, need basal is beyond me. Perhaps i should try to ween myself off all insulins? (Joke!)
Still one less injection a day is good news. And no, no cgm stuff was covered though we all have cgms.
I wonder if i was being a bit closed to the content...

I'm pleased I've never been offered DAFNE since my diagnosis 25 years ago. Looking at the course reports on the forums over the years it is very mixed and to take 5 days to cover what should be nearer to 2 days is a waste of time and money. Local course trainers should not be 'doing their own thing' but using a properly prepared manual and using CPs tell me it isn't properly prepared; surely these went out with the ark. My db consultant pointed me to a really good website which is all I needed.

I do not entirely agree @DaveB
I am glad I went in the local equivalent of a DAFNE course. I learnt very little from the trainers but hugely benefited from spending face to face time with other people with Type 1, 12 years after my diagnosis.
My trainers followed the course agenda but adapted it for the needs of those on the course, allowing for different people to have different ways of doing maths.
And it was not five days out of work. It was 6 Monday evenings. I am aware this meant the DSN and dietitian who ran the course had to change their working hours and was very grateful for that. Having a week between each “lesson” gave the class a chance to try what was taught and ask questions the next week. This worked really well for me.

However, the biggest benefit was getting access to a pump. I understand the need for the DSN to be able to assess the ability to carb count and be willing to invest the time and effort necessary to transition to a pump.

Finally, don’t forget different people learn in different ways. It was valuable for all of us to talk amongst ourselves and learn from each other.

I do not entirely agree @DaveB
I am glad I went in the local equivalent of a DAFNE course. I learnt very little from the trainers but hugely benefited from spending face to face time with other people with Type 1, 12 years after my diagnosis.
<snip>
Finally, don’t forget different people learn in different ways. It was valuable for all of us to talk amongst ourselves and learn from each other.
It strikes me that some sort of facilitated meetings (e.g. with a guest speaker or a topic of conversation for the evening) would be a useful thing that would perhaps tick the useful box for quite a lot of people vs the DAFNE course. I realise there is this forum, but face to face is easier for many and would also attract a potentially different group.

Perhaps such things already exist, though I guess they are DIY organised and advertised.

I was offered DAFNE (first and only time) when I moved to basal bolus ~10 years ago, but didn't really think it would be worth the time off/making up work. I still don't, though as per @helli's comment I could see the value of talking to other T1s.

Ok, my verdict.

I went in with a bit of a history of getting duff advice about my diabetes from dsns. I agreed to reduce my basal from 2 units to 0. In retrospect i think i wanted it to work and also i felt i was coming across as a know it all who wasn't prepared to try new things. (my last a1c was 39, and its took some work to get)
Anyway, turns out i was on the right basal before hand. With 1, i have a slow slope up overnight from 3am. With no basal i drift upwards over the day. Today i have had to be physically active all afternoon just to keep it in the high 7 low 8.
My average glucose went from 6.0 pre-daphne, to 6.7 over the last 2 days since i dropped my basal.
True, tir has gone up 2% via daphne.
And i am probably going to get the 1.30 am low again, but i have had some ideas about how to solve that. Plus, this drops only been a thing for the last month. The daphne people said it may be because i have a low average glucose...cos it has to be my fault, right?
And i do think that is their attitude. All my strategies, which work, are bad. My control isn't perfect, i need to sort out my 1.30 am drop, but their suggestions don't work, in my experience, hence my reluctance to adopt them.

Part of me thinks i'm the problem...

i need to sort out my 1.30 am drop,
As you know you drop at 1.30 am, could you not have a biscuit or some protein before bed and see if that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back