dafne course

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon101

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi
I have been put on insulin basal/bolus regime as from October last year. I was also given libre 2 which is really helpful in understanding blood levels.
I am still struggling in maintaining good levels and have managed to get on the DAFNE course which I attend next week.
I currently take tresiba 11 units at night and novorapid 4u 6u 8u on average at meal times also on metformin 500mg am and pm.
The diabetes nurse spoke of changing my basal to levemir when attending the course.
For a while I have been feeling anxious and unable to enjoy all the things I used to do is this normal with living with diabetes any help support would be great.

The DAFNE course should be fantastic for helping you manage your life with diabetes.
For me, understanding the cause and what is happening to my body helps temper my anxiety.
I believe it is common for insulin doses to be tweaked following (or during) DAFNE course.
It should also give you confidence to adapt your insulin does and carb count.

Tresiba is great for some people as it provides a very steady basal for a long time. If your life varies such that your basal dose is different on different days (or different times of the day), this is far from ideal as it can take 3 days or more for changes to take effect.
Personally, I would find Tresiba a nightmare because my basal needs are different day and night and vary when I exercise or different times of the month.

Thanks helli I shall change basal insulin and see how I get on. I’m looking forward to learning more about diabetes.
Thanks for your support

I loved my DAFNE course. I was already on Levemir before I went on the course, but a single daily dose. They had me split my dose into equal morning and evening jabs the weekend before the course, which was a little scary at first but it allows me to adjust my basal insulin now to suit my lifestyle and I absolutely love Levemir for that flexibility.
I hope you get as much from DAFNE as I did, particularly gaining confidence in adjusting your own insulin doses, both bolus and basal insulins. It really makes such a difference to your management once you understand how it works in more detail and how to spot when it needs adjusting as well as keeping yourself safe with insulin through illness and alcohol and exercise etc and the work book takes you through everyday situations and what things to take into consideration.
Best of all, you get to spend time with other Type 1s and be in an environment where you are "normal" ie. We all had to work out carbs and calculate doses and inject before we had lunch each day. Prior to this I had been uncomfortable about injecting in public, but there were 2 young girls on my course who just lifted up their blouse to expose a bit of midriff and did it there and then so I followed their lead and have been injecting publicly ever since, as of course we should as there is no reason to hide it, although I am not advocating standing up in the middle of a restaurant and drawing deliberate attention to what you are doing of course.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the course and get lots out of it and that you get on well with Levemir. Be aware that not only does it not need to be split evenly ie the same dose morning and night, but it doesn't necessarily have to be injected 12 hours apart. My best dose at the moment is 22units on a morning when I wake up about 7am and 3units at bedtime (about 11pm). Sometimes I need to bring the evening dose forwards to 7-8pm if I start to get an increase in levels towards bedtime but mostly before I get out of bed in the morning and when I climb into bed at night works for me. You have to find what works for your body and hopefully the DAFNE course will give you the structured approach and confidence to do that.

Hi
I have been put on insulin basal/bolus regime as from October last year. I was also given libre 2 which is really helpful in understanding blood levels.
I am still struggling in maintaining good levels and have managed to get on the DAFNE course which I attend next week.
I currently take tresiba 11 units at night and novorapid 4u 6u 8u on average at meal times also on metformin 500mg am and pm.
The diabetes nurse spoke of changing my basal to levemir when attending the course.
For a while I have been feeling anxious and unable to enjoy all the things I used to do is this normal with living with diabetes any help support would be great.
Hello My Diabetic Consultant in Edinburgh is suggesting that I start a basil injection in the next month or so. I have had Type 2 for 14 years and I am at the limit of pills and weekly ligurgitde injections. Is there anything I should ask or do to make this a good transition? With thanks, Colby

Hello My Diabetic Consultant in Edinburgh is suggesting that I start a basil injection in the next month or so. I have had Type 2 for 14 years and I am at the limit of pills and weekly ligurgitde injections. Is there anything I should ask or do to make this a good transition? With thanks, Colby

Hi
You should get lots of support and advice from giving your injections and they will start slowly.
Ask for as much help and make sure you are comfortable and have a contact when and as you need them.
I’m sure you will feel better it takes time just keep asking questions
Goo luck
Sharon

If you drive, make sure to tell the DVLA and make sure you understand the rules around driving on insulin.

Hopefully you will get a lot out of the DAFNE course @sharon101

Many forum members have found it really really helpful in understanding how to adjust their insulin in a flexible way to give them more freedom 🙂

Best of all, you get to spend time with other Type 1s and be in an environment where you are "normal" ie. We all had to work out carbs and calculate doses and inject before we had lunch each day. Prior to this I had been uncomfortable about injecting in public, but there were 2 young girls on my course who just lifted up their blouse to expose a bit of midriff and did it there and then so I followed their lead and have been injecting publicly ever since, as of course we should as there is no reason to hide it
Me too-- it was great just to spend time with other Type 1s! We're rare enough that it can feel really lonely. So for me that was a great thing about doing my local DAFNE-type course.

And it was great that there was such a mix of people: people who had had T1D for a long time but were doing the course as a 'refresher' or doing it because it's a requirement to get a pump; people like me who had only just been diagnosed; one young woman diagnosed age 2; one man diagnosed age 60 ... And I felt I learned a lot from my fellow T1Ds as well as from the course leaders.

Regarding injecting in public: Last weekend I went out to eat for the first time since diagnosis, woo hoo! Fortunately with a group most or all of whom know about my diagnosis (and several of whom are medical professionals). I had thought a lot about injecting in public, wondering whether I should nip off to the ladies' loo, but then thought-- no. Got out my pen, did my little airshot, lifted my top a little, job done. Nobody batted an eyelid. And-- it made me feel a lot better, if you see what I mean?

So, Sharon-- you said you've "been feeling anxious and unable to enjoy all the things I used to do", and asked "is this normal with living with diabetes"? Yes, it is normal to feel like that from time to time, and especially when you're just starting your 'Type 1 journey'.

But-- I'm sure you will feel better after your DAFNE course; you will feel less anxious and more able to get back to doing and enjoying the things you used to do. Have a lovely time, and all best wishes!

How do you get on the DAFNE course? Is it a question badgering the nurses or can you apply off one's own bat?

How do you get on the DAFNE course? Is it a question badgering the nurses or can you apply off one's own bat?
You need to be referred by your nurse I believe. You shouldn't need to badger them.
Often they like you to have at least 6months experience before the course, but it usually takes several months to get on one of them, so it is worth asking to be put forward for it sooner rather than later.

You need to be referred by your nurse I believe. You shouldn't need to badger them.
Often they like you to have at least 6months experience before the course, but it usually takes several months to get on one of them, so it is worth asking to be put forward for it sooner rather than later.
Yes, asking to be put forward for it-- showing you're keen-- is a good idea! Maybe call it a cuddly badger? ; )

Some areas, like mine, don't send people on the DAFNE course but have their own, similar course. Either way, though, the waiting list can be long. Because I'd told my DSNs I was very very keen to do the course, they let me know when there was a last-minute opening, so I got on the course much sooner than I otherwise would have.

Hi @sharon101

I hope that you get as much out of your DAFNE course as I did. It was great to have time to chat to other people with T1 about practical suggestions around managing T1. I switched to Levemir and liked being able to split this into two separate doses. This enabled me to change the day time dose without impacting the night time one. I had varying need for basal insulin depending on what I was up to so it was a lot more flexible for me. I had already started carb counting so that wasn’t knew but it was good to get some practice on each other’s meals as we helped each other work things out. The sick day rules were very helpful, alongside how to make corrections at meal times by adjusting bolus insulin.

I think that you mentioned that you are on Metformin. Is that a left over from before your diagnosis. Some get put on that assuming that they are T2 before a correct diagnosis of T1.5, but I think that some T1s use Metformin for other reasons.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi @sharon101

I hope that you get as much out of your DAFNE course as I did. It was great to have time to chat to other people with T1 about practical suggestions around managing T1. I switched to Levemir and liked being able to split this into two separate doses. This enabled me to change the day time dose without impacting the night time one. I had varying need for basal insulin depending on what I was up to so it was a lot more flexible for me. I had already started carb counting so that wasn’t knew but it was good to get some practice on each other’s meals as we helped each other work things out. The sick day rules were very helpful, alongside how to make corrections at meal times by adjusting bolus insulin.

I think that you mentioned that you are on Metformin. Is that a left over from before your diagnosis. Some get put on that assuming that they are T2 before a correct diagnosis of T1.5, but I think that some T1s use Metformin for other reasons.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks for your reply and yes I’ll let you know how I get on.
I was on metformin before diagnosed type1.5 but did ask to reduce to 1 500mg twice a day and feel would like to stop metformin altogether I shall ask tomorrow

Thanks for your reply and yes I’ll let you know how I get on.
I was on metformin before diagnosed type1.5 but did ask to reduce to 1 500mg twice a day and feel would like to stop metformin altogether I shall ask tomorrow
I hope that you were able to sort out the Metformin. It is unlikely that you will be needing that now.

Hi
The DAFNE course is amazing. I hope you get as much from it as I did!

Didn't realise it took so long to get referred. Been told 18 weeks or could be longer due to long waiting lists. could do with this help now. I know, very impatient!!

Didn't realise it took so long to get referred. Been told 18 weeks or could be longer due to long waiting lists. could do with this help now. I know, very impatient!!
I think demand is much larger than supply. I think the courses tend to be quite small and need a couple of members of staff, so they're pretty expensive to run (and necessarily limited by staff availability). Hence https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/ and https://www.mytype1diabetes.nhs.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back