Cycling Team Novo Nordisk "Let's shatter the misconceptions surrounding diabetes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallisOnline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
New video from Pro cycling team Novo nordisk - all riders have type 1 diabetes and compete in World Cycling

Their video Team Novo Nordisk: Ride For Your L1fe is well worth a watch also, especially if you like cycling.

I am always inspired by stories such as these.
However, I am lucky - I can and do live a life which is not restricted by diabetes.
Not everyone is as lucky. As the video says "Each person's story is unique and every voice matters."
Where is the voice of those who struggle?
What is the impact on those with Type 1 and not as fortunate?
Do these inspirational stories belittle those people and make them feel they are failures because they cannot live their dreams?

I am all for perpetuating these inspirational stories but I am also for including everyone and not brushing people under the carpet or making them feel inferior because their debilitating hypos stop them cycling or their erratic BG reactions to food take away their enjoyment of eating or their dyscalculia makes calculation of insulin doses impossible.

I am curious what others think.

(Apologies @WallisOnline for suggesting your thread goes off on a tangent. Thank you for sharing. )

I raised mine several times and it is painfully clear nobody wants to hear it.
It causes isolation and prevents people like me sharing experiences that could be usefull for others.

The video is excellent IMO, eventhough I pretty much hate pharnaceutical companies and studied pharnaceutical marketing myself. Let’s ensure that no one stands alone!

As inspirational as it is seeing how these T1 guys manage their BGs on an activity like this. It opens up ethics in discussion on the use of exogenous insulin regarding “doping” in sport.

As inspirational as it is seeing how these T1 guys manage their BGs on an activity like this. It opens up ethics in discussion on the use of exogenous insulin regarding “doping” in sport.
Interesting thought. Can people with Type 1 use insulin as doping? If not, is it just another exclusion like the use of CGMs were banned until this team pointed out their need and were granted an exclusion.

Interesting thought. Can people with Type 1 use insulin as doping? If not, is it just another exclusion like the use of CGMs were banned until this team pointed out their need and were granted an exclusion.
Most of us seem to know where we stand on non-diabetics using it & hitting the gym. Apart from being dangerous. The intention is clearly to gain an advantage in that field.
Team Novo seem adept with their diabetes in regards to the training. But I have seen a T1 woman body builder “instructing/advising” non diabetics on how to use the stuff (Lantus in this case.) in the sport online.

Professional cycling has a very sketchy history wrt doping. In the case of this guys it is clear that they need the cgm and the insulin, so probably no argument there. However, there's been a lot of snide remarks about how a really large proportion of the peloton seem to require inhalers.

I am always inspired by stories such as these.
However, I am lucky - I can and do live a life which is not restricted by diabetes.
Not everyone is as lucky. As the video says "Each person's story is unique and every voice matters."
What is the impact on those with Type 1 and not as fortunate?
Do these inspirational stories belittle those people and make them feel they are failures because they cannot live their dreams?

I am all for perpetuating these inspirational stories but I am also for including everyone and not brushing people under the carpet or making them feel inferior because their debilitating hypos stop them cycling or their erratic BG reactions to food take away their enjoyment of eating or their dyscalculia makes calculation of insulin doses impossible.

I am curious what others think.

(Apologies @WallisOnline for suggesting your thread goes off on a tangent. Thank you for sharing. )
I don't see these kind of pieces as belittling those who struggle. Rather as highlighting to the non initiated how much effort it takes to manage something like type 1 diabetes.

Of course, if you are struggling it can feel like you are failing because you can't manage your diabetes like these guys do. For me, however, it just shows that there's as much luck as there's skill in managing diabetes. You can only try and improve the latter, and not much you can do about the former.

Professional cycling has a very sketchy history wrt doping. In the case of this guys it is clear that they need the cgm and the insulin, so probably no argument there. However, there's been a lot of snide remarks about how a really large proportion of the peloton seem to require inhalers.
My pen & sensor is my “sword & shield” getting me through the day. What the Novo team do, is inspirational. As are paralypians. However, knowing what I’ve seen how exogenous insulin can be used to enhance muscle mass?
I’ve always felt this is worthy of a respectable debate. Especially when or if competing with non-diabetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back