Cycling and diabetes tips from Team Novo Nordisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tour of Britain teams announced today and unfortunately TNN won't be competing. :( The race is 4-11 September and of the 20 teams competing has 10 world tour teams, 5 professional continental teams (same as TNN), a GB national team, Team Wiggins and 3 other British continental teams yet to be announced. Will be good to see it but disappointed TNN won't be there.

Tour of Britain teams announced today and unfortunately TNN won't be competing. :( The race is 4-11 September and of the 20 teams competing has 10 world tour teams, 5 professional continental teams (same as TNN), a GB national team, Team Wiggins and 3 other British continental teams yet to be announced. Will be good to see it but disappointed TNN won't be there.
That's a shame :( They'll move up the ladder, I'm sure 🙂

Do you know if Team Novo Nordisk wanted to compete in Tour of Britain @Matt Cycle ?

Do you know if Team Novo Nordisk wanted to compete in Tour of Britain @Matt Cycle ?

I don't know for certain but I feel sure they would have competed, if asked. The Tour of Britain can invite who they want and the race is always limited to a certain number of teams. It's the biggest cycle race in this country but in world standings it's not that high on the agenda and in the past they had a fair few pro continental teams to fill it up. This year's race however has 10 world tour teams (more than ever before) but I'm still surprised TNN weren't one of the pro continental teams invited (if that is indeed the case) as they have competed at the ToB for the past few years.

Here's the TNN team talking about their feelings when diagnosed, how they feel now and advice for people newly diagnosed. A lot of this is very familiar to me. I guess we all go through a similar range of emotions. Positive view on how they feel now and positive advice for anyone newly diagnosed. 🙂

A father and son from Lancashire talking about how cycling has helped them in managing their diabetes. The Dad, Steve has type 2 and the son Nathan was diagnosed with Type 1. Nathan applied to join the TNN Talent ID camp and his Dad has been inspired to also get out on his bike to exercise more, feel healthier and lose weight.

Here's the TNN team talking about their feelings when diagnosed, how they feel now and advice for people newly diagnosed. A lot of this is very familiar to me. I guess we all go through a similar range of emotions. Positive view on how they feel now and positive advice for anyone newly diagnosed. 🙂

I was 3, Thought it was normal 😱. I would like to think I was very positive Matt. I would like to talk to new T1 families in a nice way

Another video here of the whole team talking about diabetes and setting the record straight to dispel some of the myths.

TNN have a promotion with prizes in the lead up to World Diabetes Day on 14th November. From the 1st to 14th November you need to log the number of kilometres you walk, run, swim or ride. Details on how to do it below:

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/world-diabetes-day-2016/

PS If anyone wins and doesn't want the Catlike helmet or the honey stingers then I'd take 'em off your hands. :D

Interesting article here on TUE's (therapeutic use exemptions) a hot topic at the moment in cycling. It features Phil Southerland (CEO of TNN) as all TNN riders being T1 have to apply for a TUE for insulin.

In a race all the other riders can focus on the race, eat if they're hungry etc. They don't need to monitor their bg's whilst riding, correct their levels with insulin or glucose etc. I know I'm not a professional cyclist but I can't say I've noticed any additional performance benefits from insulin, well apart from the fact I'm not dead. 😉 In fact, being T1 and cycling can at times be a real pain in the arse. However, I love cycling and I'll never let it stop me getting on the bike. 🙂

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/tea...erland-calls-for-more-nuanced-debate-on-tues/

A couple of forum members have done Lands end John-o g. One member totally by himself & quite often camping ! You have to watch them T1 s😉. I have peddled across the country more than twice 🙂. (a while ago now :D) Keep peddling Matt 😎

Interesting article here on TUE's (therapeutic use exemptions) a hot topic at the moment in cycling. It features Phil Southerland (CEO of TNN) as all TNN riders being T1 have to apply for a TUE for insulin.

In a race all the other riders can focus on the race, eat if they're hungry etc. They don't need to monitor their bg's whilst riding, correct their levels with insulin or glucose etc. I know I'm not a professional cyclist but I can't say I've noticed any additional performance benefits from insulin, well apart from the fact I'm not dead. 😉 In fact, being T1 and cycling can at times be a real pain in the arse. However, I love cycling and I'll never let it stop me getting on the bike. 🙂

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/tea...erland-calls-for-more-nuanced-debate-on-tues/
Interesting Matt 🙂 Everyone uses insulin whether they are diabetic or not. As I understand it though, some bodybuilders use it as it is a growth hormone.

TNN has announced 6 new riders for the 2017 season. This takes the roster up to 19 riders from 8 different countries. Amazing really in that the pool of riders they can choose from is so limited as all riders must have T1 diabetes. Good luck to them for 2017.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/2017-team-novo-nordisk-roster/

“When 12 of the 18 guys in the team this year were diagnosed, they were told by their doctors you’ll never race a bike again – that it’s just not possible with diabetes. Fortunately we had 12 stubborn kids who didn’t listen to their doctors.”

Inspiring stuff, and good to see a report in the mainstream media - hopefully will increase awareness and understanding, and possibly encourage a few of the Type 1 youngsters out there to take up the sport 🙂 Disagree totally with the German rider who says they shouldn't compete, how does he think he manages to compete if not for insulin? All fully-healthy professionals should be in awe of these guys! 🙂

Inspiring stuff, and good to see a report in the mainstream media - hopefully will increase awareness and understanding, and possibly encourage a few of the Type 1 youngsters out there to take up the sport 🙂 Disagree totally with the German rider who says they shouldn't compete, how does he think he manages to compete if not for insulin? All fully-healthy professionals should be in awe of these guys! 🙂

I hope so. After my diagnosis the only high profile diabetic sports people I really knew of were the footballers Gary Mabbutt and Danny McGrain. Gary Mabbutt who played for Spurs and England regularly featured in Balance at that time and was a real inspiration to me. Better management through better technology and improved insulin has helped T1's to get where we are now in sport with a professional cycling team (one of the most physically demanding endurance sports) and several footballers, rugby players and other sports people. 🙂 Oh and lots of hard work and talent. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back