Cycling and diabetes tips from Team Novo Nordisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Cycle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A few quick tips on cycle racing and diabetes from the TNN cyclists and team. Will apply to all types of exercise.

The team doctor states the optimum blood glucose level during a race is 120-180mg/dl which works out at 6.7-10mmol/l and Kevin De Mesmaeker states if they need it they'll have insulin whilst on the bike.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/racing-with-diabetes-tips/

Not normally racing but good to know when I am climbing some hillock on me bike (need more power 🙂)

Oh wow! - do you happen to know if we'll get any of it televised? (We only have Eurosport for (originally) the motorbike racing, but if we're here always watch the cycling too - avidly. Don't have Sky or BT.)

Tour of Poland was on Eurosport last year so should be the same this year. I had heard that Sky were going to be showing more cycling this year - they need to fill up their sports channels and obviously also sponsor the biggest team in cycling - Team Sky.

The 3 Grand Tours - Giro, TdF and Vuelta have been on both Eurosport and ITV4, whether Sky will now muscle in on these races I'm not sure. I know they have mentioned it before but it's possible TNN could get a wild card entry to one of the Grand Tours in future years.

TNN should be competing in the Tour of Britain again 4-11 September this year. The route for that will probably be revealed in March.

A bit like football teams the cycling teams change their kit designs every year. The 2016 TNN one (below) now features Novo Nordisk on the front and the 'changing diabetes' slogan has been moved to the shoulders and sides - not as obvious as before. It's fair enough I suppose as Novo Nordisk provide all the money for it. Good luck to both the men's and women's teams in this years races.

novo%20kit%202016_zpsuq1satmb.jpg

2016 team photo with Colnago V1-r bike. 🙂
CYvwPWkWQAAK0ka.jpg:large

No women's 2016 team photo yet so this is the 2015 one.
Womens-1024x683.jpg

Inspirational people! 🙂

Yes, they really are. I'm on a couple of strava groups (Type 1 diabetic and Team BG) that some of the team members are also on and their weekly stats are amazing. For example Chris Williams (2nd from right, back row on the team photo) this week has done 516.7 miles with elevation gain of 46000 feet and an average speed of 17.5 mph. 😱 The team is currently training in Altea, Spain. Yes, I know they're professionals, riding every day, with the best equipment etc but unlike all the other professional teams they've got to do it with Type 1 diabetes.

A good bunch 🙂 & I too hope they do well with there cycling events 😎

If you have access to Eurosport you can watch TNN in action this Wednesday (3rd Feb) to Saturday (6th) in the Tour of Dubai.

The Tour de Pologne I mentioned in #3 above in which TNN have been given a wildcard entry, a World Tour stage race, has been moved this year to July to avoid clashing with the Rio Olympics. This means it will on at the same time as the Tour de France. Most of the World Tour teams have a big enough roster of riders to compete in more than one race at the same time. They would likely put their strongest team in the TdF though.

Tour of Dubai concluded today with the highest placed TNN rider being Martijn Verschoor in 22nd place followed by Charles Planet in 29th. The only rider not to finish was Nicolas Lefrancois who was involved in a crash. Martijn Verschoor got as high as 13th place in the general classification after stage 2 and had hoped to progress into the top 10 but had a disappointing stage 3.

Well done to all the Team Novo Nordisk riders. 🙂

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/2016-dubai-tour-4/

The Tour of Britain route has been announced for September. The participant teams have not yet been announced but Team Novo Nordisk will be an almost certainty to take part again. It's mainly down the west side of Britain.

Stages as follows:

Stage 1 - Sunday 4th September: Glasgow to Castle Douglas - passing through Kilmarnock and close to Ayr.
Stage 2 - Monday 5th September: Carlisle to Kendal - through the Lake District.
Stage 3 - Tuesday 6th September: Congleton to Tatton Park, Knutsford - includes the Cat and Fiddle. This is the stage nearest to me and hopefully I'll get to it to cheer on TNN.
Stage 4 - Wednesday 7th September: Denbigh to Builth Wells.
Stage 5 - Thursday 8th September: Aberdare to Bath - passing through Gloucester.
Stage 6 - Friday 9th September: Sidmouth to Haytor, Dartmoor - includes Honiton, Cullompton, Tiverton and Exeter.
Stage 7a and b - Saturday 10th September: Bristol (Time Trial and Circuit)
Stage 8 - Sunday 11th September: 16 laps around central London

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/index.php#.Vth7D_mLRpj

Should be on ITV4 and Eurosport. Although there is a lot of racing before then here's hoping for decent weather and wishing the T1 TNN team all the best for the race.

I'll look forward to watching it - really enjoyed it when it went through Yorkshire 🙂

For anyone interested the Milan-San Remo is on Eurosport 1 this Saturday afternoon (19th March) from 1.15. For those who don't know - Team Novo Nordisk are an all T1 diabetic professional cycling team. They're currently a UCI Pro Continental team (the level below the world tour teams) but have an invite to this race and will be up against the world tour teams like Team Sky. Good luck to them in the race. 🙂

Fantastic effort from the TNN riders at the Milan-San Remo today. 🙂 The course was diverted due to a landslide at 110km and this bumped the total up to 300km (over 180 miles)! Andrea Peron of TNN was in an 11 man breakaway from very early on in the race (14km) and they were finally caught with around 35km to go. Six TNN riders finished. Lots of coverage for the team with Andrea Peron being in the breakaway. Well done to all of them. 🙂

bike_80_anim_gif.gif

TNN are hoping to have a team ready and get an entry for the 2021 TdF to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the discovery of insulin. Compared with all the other pro cycling teams their choice of riders is limited as they are all Type 1 diabetics. They are looking for any young diabetic endurance athletes to train and become part of the TdF squad. Er well, I would have put myself forward of course but I'm just a bit old (only a bit mind you). 😉🙄

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/join-us-on-our-journey/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back