Cured...

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, not quite yet! :) Some people may know that I stopped needing basal insulin 4 years after diagnosis - that was 8 years ago now, and despite the consultant at the time telling me it was temporary, it apparently wasn't :) A recent C-peptide test showed I was producing a 'reasonable' amount of my own insulin, which accounted for the lack of a basal requirement. I remain in an indeterminate category, since I'm definitely not Type 2, but designated Type 1 for the purposes of my treatment :)

Just over the past week or so I have had to significantly reduce the novorapid I take with meals - started the week needing a TDD of around 20 units. That became dialled down and down because I was having to stuff my face with far too many jelly babies, crisps, biscuits, cakes etc. to try and keep my levels up. On Friday I took just 3 units for my evening meal, down from 10 units a week previously, and still ended up feeding the lows :eek: So, on Saturday I decided to try without any for the evening meal - same meal as the previous day, and numbers remained acceptable. I'd intended to correct if levels went too high, but they didn't, peaking below double figures. Yesterday I again went without - same result :eek: Apart from the odd Diaversary where I have intentionally gone extra-low carb and used zero insulin this is the first time I've eaten a not inconsiderable amount of carbs with no insulin - sausage, mash and mixed veg followed by strawberries and blueberries with cream for dessert.

I wonder if this is also 'temporary' or, in the famous words of Halle Berry, I have 'weaned myself off insulin'? :eek: :)

Note: This is just about me. I have known about half a dozen other people out of the thousands I have encountered here on the forum who have had a similar experience - I'm certainly not trying to sell anyone my 'method' because I don't have one! :D

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
About 18 years ago I thought I had been cured of type 1 diabetes as needed no insulin for days at a time and lived in hypo land.

No such luck it turned out I had Addison's disease :(

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Could it be the warm weather? My daughter is in hypo city at the moment and I keep having to reduce her basal.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Mmmm Alan. ISTR you have been able to increase the old exercise a bit recently, haven't you? And it hasn't exactly been freezing 'out' for quite a while, either. Yes I've needed a short sleeve T-shirt instead of a 'vest' in recent weeks and sometimes a cardi cos the wind has been too cold for me cos I'm a delicate hothouse flower - but haven't need a coat for months! (haven't been out in the wet)

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ooo, watch this space! I hope you have bizarrely managed to cure yourself - by moving back to Yorkshire, that’ll be it. ;) I can just see the headline: Buy A Bungalow In Yorkshire and Cure Diabetes.:p

gabriele

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wow Alan , it would be amazing ! Like you, with sports and Lowcarb I reduced my insulin from over 40 units /day to lower 20 . Then I started fasting and now I need only 12 - 15 units . I never bolus before lunch or sometimes afternoon . I exercise on fasting days never had a hypo . I enjoy this very much having very rare hypos . But for me everything has a pricetag . If I have a highcarb meal , I will need a very high amount of insulin . Thats reminds me , I will never get out of this ...
All the best for you , dear friend

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ooo, watch this space! I hope you have bizarrely managed to cure yourself - by moving back to Yorkshire, that’ll be it. ;) I can just see the headline: Buy A Bungalow In Yorkshire and Cure Diabetes.:p
Ooh! Perhaps I should hook up with a few local estate agents for the commission! :D

Actually, great as it might be here in Yorkshire I'm not sure it's a cure. My next door neighbour is Type 1, as are the next-but-one neighbours on either side of me! :eek: All bungalows :eek: Next door has lived in Harrogate all his life and was diagnosed in 1988. Perhaps you have to live darnsarf for 20 years? :eek: :D