CT/Pet scanner and libre2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1122

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I think this has been asked before, but searching for scan/scanner just comes up with lots of Libre's scan stuff - so apologies if it's a repeat. Can the Libre sensor stay on the arm during a CT/PET scan?

Thanks,

steve

Sorry, searched again and found an answer. Can this thread be deleted - if so, how do I do that?

Thanks again,

steve

Steve, it probably can be deleted but surely better to leave it in place complete with the answer. Particularly if your answer has some authority rather than anecdotal opinion. Then the next person searching for an answer to this question will get there a bit more easily.

What is the answer you've found?

The scan where they are absolutely adamant about removing the Libre sensor is for an MRI. This was legs only for PAD and already lower power as I have plates and screws on the left femur. The problem like any I encounter with the NHS is guidelines are written in black and white by seemingly admin rather than clinicians and common sense does not come into it.

Steve, it probably can be deleted but surely better to leave it in place complete with the answer. Particularly if your answer has some authority rather than anecdotal opinion. Then the next person searching for an answer to this question will get there a bit more easily.

What is the answer you've found?
Yes, you're right. The answer I found here was it will have to come off.

I'm due to replace it today, but am waiting for a 'within two weeks' scan appointment, so am wondering whether I should go on finger pricks until I know the date of the scan. Although 'Satan's' answer above suggests I should just go for the Libre swap and not worry.

The scan where they are absolutely adamant about removing the Libre sensor is for an MRI. This was legs only for PAD and already lower power as I have plates and screws on the left femur. The problem like any I encounter with the NHS is guidelines are written in black and white by seemingly admin rather than clinicians and common sense does not come into it.
Yes, I can imagine them definitely wanting it removed for MRI.

I've had several CT scans and kept the Libre on. However they were only scanning my head.

In the “what to know about X-rays” section. https://www.freestyle.abbott/us-en/safety-information.html
Contradicts the answer I got from the X-ray crew. They were happy to leave it on?
Same with the CT scanner crew. I’d left my phone with my wife for this stuff. This was upper body & chest area, suspected trauma from an injury.

I've had several CT scans and kept the Libre on. However they were only scanning my head.
They wanted my arms raised & outside the tunnel. Sort of holding onto the arch? (As I lay on my back.) a little uncomfortable regarding the nature of the injury. Oddly my trousers needed to be round my knees. (Probably the belt zipper & button.

They wanted my arms raised & outside the tunnel. Sort of holding onto the arch? (As I lay on my back.) a little uncomfortable regarding the nature of the injury. Oddly my trousers needed to be round my knees. (Probably the belt zipper & button.
Sounds most dignified 🙂

Steve, it was my experience with Libre 2 that, whenever I had to remove a sensor because of medical necessity they replaced it without any difficulty or challenge. I'd take a chance, continue with wearing a sensor until you get to the radiography department. Then check what the local guidance is and take it off if necessary.

Steve, it was my experience with Libre 2 that, whenever I had to remove a sensor because of medical necessity they replaced it without any difficulty or challenge. I'd take a chance, continue with wearing a sensor until you get to the radiography department. Then check what the local guidance is and take it off if necessary.
Do you mean Abbott replacing it? This one is from the NHS - do Abbott replace NHS ones or is it just self funded ones?

That’s good advice. I pointed out I was wearing a Libre every step of the way once I knew what was going on being moved from A&E. lol, I had visions of my sensor PCB reacting like a fork in a microwave?

Do you mean Abbott replacing it? This one is from the NHS - do Abbott replace NHS ones or is it just self funded ones?
Mine are NHS and I've had 1 sensor fail and 1 fall off both within 10 days of each other. Rang Abbots and got really helpful people, a few questions and the both replaced and sent the new ones sent in the post without any hassle. The failed one I had to send back, the other disposed of normally.

Absolutely, 100% definitely.
If the sensor is faulty, no one should pay for it whether you bought it yourself or your tax bought it for the NHS.
ALL faulty sensors should be reported to Abbott and they replace them.

When I was first prescribed Libre, this was spelt out very clearly to me. It was one of the conditions of me having Libre.

Yes, @Steve1122, Abbott replace NHS provided sensors.

Actually the whole process is fundamentally dubious in that public funded acquisitions should be subject to "Treasury Rules". This should mean that not only is there a nominated and "findable" procurement manager for any public contract (not findable as far as I can determine) but purchase contracts have various hoops to be jumped through in terms of security of the seller (not in question here, I assume) but value for public money (including frequent reviews, which don't exist as far as I can see) and certainly do not permit the seller to police their own delivery faults and suchlike. Supply problems should be taken to the Procurement Manager for that contract, adding to that manager's remit to ensure best value for the public purse. All of this seems to be ignored when it comes to the NHS. Presumably by delegating authority and responsibility to either Hospital Trusts or the (former CCGs and now) Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) the Public Accountability overseen by the Treasury is at the very least ignored and possibly just blatantly not complied with. But this is part of why individuals in the NHS are frequently trying to do their best but the NHS is so plainly wasteful. Very little accountability.

Anyway from your perspective as a user of an NHS supplied medication (which includes tech) you go back to the provider, Abbott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back