Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve never been abroad before, never been on a cruise before, never done a catered/eating out type holiday only ever self catered, eat pretty simple foods at home and I’m not sure I’ve ever even had a 3 course meal in a restaurant that I remember. I’m going to be adventurous and going on a cruise on Saturday.

I’ve advised the cruise line and they’ve arranged some accomodations of providing a sharps bin in the room and 100 minutes of free wifi (the carb guessing apps need internet). I’ll need to preorder meals 24hrs before (as GF and other person has severe nut allergy).

I have purchased a basic drinks package as I don’t really drink alcohol which includes lemonade (not sugar free but probably will drink occasionally so as not to overdo caffeine) and Pepsi / Pepsi max.

Any tips? I’ll have libre on my phone just not on my watch, and I’ll pack a spare sensor as well as test strips. I think security is just X-Ray which I think libre can go through. Guessing just so random guesses at carbs and bolus each course?

I'm just back from a cruise to Norway and was very well taken care of.
After a few days I stopped going to the main dining room for dinner as I preferred the self service. Like you I was given the menu for the following day. At breakfast there was a chef making omelettes and I could pick what I wanted. Bircher oats (even with sugar) set me up for the day. In the evening I could have stir fry if nothing else appealed. There were some 'diabetic puddings' which looked awful - brightly coloured. I was early 'sitting' for dinner 6.15pm and could not have gone to the late sitting. The speciality dining (Goan) was great but the other (Colours and tastes) gave me high glucose. Every day i had a long walk in port. I tended to have my main meal at lunch time.
I had the drinks package and on Fred its diet Pepsi. As its draught I always said to the server I was diabetic so I wasn't given sugar in error. Enjoy the cruise and relax. In a way its easier than at home as there is so much choice.

After a few days I stopped going to the main dining room for dinner as I preferred the self service. Like you I was given the menu for the following day.
Was the giving you a menu for the following day because of an allergy? The self service buffet won’t be safe for us due to cross contamination risks so we will only be eating in the main restaurant, and they require 24hr before preordering for allergies.

Where are you going, I hope you get the opportunity to try the local specialities that are often served on board.
There is usually plenty going on on board, but go be selective about any of the trips on offer as some are not very good value.

Where are you going, I hope you get the opportunity to try the local specialities that are often served on board.
There is usually plenty going on on board, but go be selective about any of the trips on offer as some are not very good value.
To Norway with P&O. Not doing any trips through P&O just doing our own thing :D

To Norway with P&O. Not doing any trips through P&O just doing our own thing :D
You will love it I'm sure, we did a Fjord cruise a few years ago but on quite a small ship. It was in May so there was snow on the hills but the weather was fantastic. The Flam railway was brilliant.
We then went on a Hertigruten ship up the coast right around to the very top near the Russian Border in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights so in January. I hadn't appreciated how few hours of daylight there would be once you got through the artic circle. We did go on one trip to an Ice Hotel.

My advice would be the usual travel advice which is as valid for cruising as it is for flying
- take at least twice as much of everything than you think you need
- take it onboard on your hand luggage so you are not separated from it
- ensure you have hypo treatment close to hand at all times
- keep a close eye on your levels. A day on holiday will be different to a normal day: you may do more or less exercise, you may get stressed by the difference or chilled by the relaxation and you will eat different food
- as you are getting the menu the day before, you will have a chance to look up carb contents but you won’t know the portion size or whether you like it until it turns up. So don’t pre-bolus until you see it (or even after you have eaten it). This may mean post meal spikes but better than pre meal hypos.
- have fun
- enjoy the experience

I’ve never been abroad before, never been on a cruise before, never done a catered/eating out type holiday only ever self catered, eat pretty simple foods at home and I’m not sure I’ve ever even had a 3 course meal in a restaurant that I remember. I’m going to be adventurous and going on a cruise on Saturday.

I’ve advised the cruise line and they’ve arranged some accomodations of providing a sharps bin in the room and 100 minutes of free wifi (the carb guessing apps need internet). I’ll need to preorder meals 24hrs before (as GF and other person has severe nut allergy).

I have purchased a basic drinks package as I don’t really drink alcohol which includes lemonade (not sugar free but probably will drink occasionally so as not to overdo caffeine) and Pepsi / Pepsi max.

Any tips? I’ll have libre on my phone just not on my watch, and I’ll pack a spare sensor as well as test strips. I think security is just X-Ray which I think libre can go through. Guessing just so random guesses at carbs and bolus each course?
No tips other than relax and have a lovely holiday

I've done LOTS of sailing, but only one cruise, years ago.

I notice you are GF now. How are you getting along with it? Any challenges or surprises so far?

Whatever you do, enjoy your break. It is great to break out and have new adventures.

I notice you are GF now. How are you getting along with it? Any challenges or surprises so far?
Well it's a bit of a pain, especially eating at other people's houses or eating out, and it doesn't cure my ME/CFS but i think it helps a bit so decided on sticking with it

Well it's a bit of a pain, especially eating at other people's houses or eating out, and it doesn't cure my ME/CFS but i think it helps a bit so decided on sticking with it

I know what you mean. I thought it'd be a dawdle, bearing in mind I had already been low carb for some years.

Do stick with it. Frustratingly, it can take months for improvements to become clear.

Enjoy your holiday. Norway is a beautiful country. The cruise operators will be geared up for GF.

Btw if you don't all have a mobile and also pay for the onboard wifi, there is no way to contact each other on the ship if you are apart. It's good to make a plan or meeting point if you want to meet up etc. Book all the nightly shows, restaurant bookings etc on your on board app which they can help you download at guest services.

Factory sealed gluten free schar crackers and muffins are available if you ask any chef behind the counter in the main buffets. Nice for taking ashore if you need some carbs or free snack.

You can easily book excursions on shore at the kiosks at about half the onboard price, at risk of not getting a place if sold out.

Btw if you don't all have a mobile and also pay for the onboard wifi, there is no way to contact each other on the ship if you are apart. It's good to make a plan or meeting point if you want to meet up etc.
Thanks. I will be the carer for the person I’m going with so I doubt we’d be apart for this reason, I need to be contactable which you can’t be on the ship.

Guessing the carbs was so much harder than expected. Sometimes I couldn’t even guess the ingredients let alone the carbs. Bgs were much lower than usual with a considerable amount of overnight lows. Guessing maybe due to having to eat dinner at 5:30 every night and usually not being able to find any snacks of an evening which I usually would have one. Was also more exercise than usual so that could have contributed.

The cruise line did give me free internet for the week to help manage my diabetes as I can’t display my blood sugar on my watch without internet, and do find this helpful, so that was really good of them.

Attachments

• IMG_9060.png
    IMG_9060.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9061.png
    IMG_9061.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 11
Example of a dessert I had to try and guess the carbs in. I ordered the cherry cheesecake as it was gluten free, without realising that it was also vegan. On tasting it I realised the base was something heavily based on dried dates but couldn’t work out what the brown speckled “cheese” replacement was. I don’t normally eat dried dates or vegan cheesecake so hadn’t a clue where to even start with pitching my guess.

Attachments

• IMG_9013.jpeg
    IMG_9013.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 13
Looks like you did brilliantly all things considered. If you are anything like me, Libre reads a bit low, so perhaps the low percentage wasn't actually as high as 7% in reality. 88% in range is fantastic considering that you were dealing with unfamiliar foods in a very different environment. Did you have a good time?

Another example, ordered the burger without roll for lunch one day, but it turned out the burger part wasn’t gluten free so they just gave the sides instead. I don’t normally eat beans much, and these were a mix of all different kinds of beans and a barbecue sauce. The corn on the cobs were mini ones but sliced up further, which made it harder to guess. I think I may have overestimated some of my guesses because of the different presentations of serving things.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
Looks like you did brilliantly all things considered. If you are anything like me, Libre reads a bit low, so perhaps the low percentage wasn't actually as high as 7% in reality. 88% in range is fantastic considering that you were dealing with unfamiliar foods in a very different environment. Did you have a good time?
I did have a good time other than finding the food a bit difficult (had to preorder 24 hours in advance, they couldn’t tell you what was suitable you just had to say what you wanted from the menu and the chef would make something suitable).

I found the libre was reading accurate and there was a lot of lows confirmed on fingerpricks. For the last 50 days in total im 1% low and 72% in range.

Overall I enjoyed it, wouldn’t be my first choice of holiday but I would happily go with someone else who wanted to go on a cruise. Will probably go again in the next year or two.

Can see why you struggled to estimate carbs!
I tend not to really bother counting carbs anymore (or at least I don't stress about it) and just inject a token amount of insulin up front and correct later and just watch my Libre and make decisions off what it shows my levels are doing. Obviously many foods I know roughly what it needs, but for the likes of that dessert I would probably give it 4 units and hit it with some more later if it needed it, particularly if it was sweet..... but also have JBs to hand in case I had over egged it.

Sounds like you did amazingly well @Lucyr - and great to hear you think you‘d go again - that always seems to be the sign of a good holiday. Even if there was a wobble or two, overall you’d like to do it again 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back