cravings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellbell84

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
have any of you guys had weird cravings since becoming diabetic?

mine are pickled onions and sugar free jelly, (not together) but i can get through a jar of pickled onions a day, then i go off them for few months...

does anyone have lil treats that they love (preferably sugar free) that they cant live without?

lemme know!!!!!!! and if possible, if you have any recipes!!

happy monday everyone xxx😛

No weird cravings to speak of. I have tried to replace sweets with fruit and reduce the ammount of fat and salt I have.

Although I mustn't drink too much, I have replaced sweet fizzy drinks with sugar free varieties and water down fruit juice now.

Hope this helps. As a general rule of thumb as long as you are keeping an eye on carbs and eating a balanced diet you should be fine.

Before diabetes I could not stand rice or pasta of any sort, I hated it and would refuse to eat it, since being diagnosed I now crave and love brown rice and pasta of any description my favourite being Penne pasta 🙂

My treat after evening dinner is just one fig roll...funny thing is I also use to hate figs 😱

i must admit i am partial to the old sugar free jellies to. also tend to leave tea and coffee as my first thing in the morning drink and stick to water all day really. have the odd beer to 🙂

Dry roasted peanuts - I get through a packet a day now, but hadn't had them for months before I was diagnosed! I think it's because I used to snack a lot on other higher-carb, higher GI stuff before - crisps and biscuits and cheese on toast etc. With the nuts I can nibble a few at a time and it takes the hunger craving away whilst not affecting my blood sugars too much. They are high in calories though due to the fat, but it's a 'good' fat, but will not be great if you are trying to lose weight.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm id forgoten about my obsesion with cheese!!!!!!!!!! *slober* any kind of cheese really. i also have a thing for dry roasted nuts and pistachio's :D

Definitely vanilla ice cream. I now eat my m?ller light frozen instead. 🙂

have any of you guys had weird cravings since becoming diabetic?

mine are pickled onions and sugar free jelly, (not together) but i can get through a jar of pickled onions a day, then i go off them for few months...

does anyone have lil treats that they love (preferably sugar free) that they cant live without?

lemme know!!!!!!! and if possible, if you have any recipes!!

happy monday everyone xxx😛
Pickled Onions and jelly sounds great kind of strange .
Love the idea will try it .
Does anyone stock up with othe healthy treats .

Pickled Onions and jelly sounds great kind of strange .
Love the idea will try it .
Does anyone stock up with othe healthy treats .
I do make a mean carob mix it ends up looking like pellets balls.
Carob powder mixed butter with some cayenne pepper ,paprika,touch of mixed spice and vanilla essence .....black mouldable and you can mix coconut sprinkle with some poppie seed on outside .

Intense

Dry roasted peanuts - I get through a packet a day now, but hadn't had them for months before I was diagnosed! I think it's because I used to snack a lot on other higher-carb, higher GI stuff before - crisps and biscuits and cheese on toast etc. With the nuts I can nibble a few at a time and it takes the hunger craving away whilst not affecting my blood sugars too much. They are high in calories though due to the fat, but it's a 'good' fat, but will not be great if you are trying to lose weight.

I wish you would stop mentioning peanuts lol. Im addicted to peanut butter and it's all your fault. Im also addicted to salted pistachios. So ive probably got high blood pressure now from all the salt 😉

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm id forgoten about my obsesion with cheese!!!!!!!!!! *slober* any kind of cheese really. i also have a thing for dry roasted nuts and pistachio's :D

oh you have the addiction too :D

and cheese is my downfall. id be really without it! well, that and bread :D

How wierd you mentioned pickled onions - I only used to eat them at christmas time, but I've fancied them on quite a few occassions, including yesterday :confused:

I've also had a bit of a relapse with the self-sontrol over last couple of days 😡 :( Been eating chocolate, biscuits etc, won't go on 'cause I don't want you to start craving them too! And this was a bit more than an occassional 'treat'.

Anyway my healthy treat is Twiglets - salty, I know, but 'wholemeal' and lowish in fat!

Has anyone found a cure for the chocolaholic cravings?

Ah, is that what you look like Northerner!

i've found these lovley choccie buttons in teco dairy free there delicious

i've found these lovley choccie buttons in teco dairy free there delicious

Are they sugar free? I also like most fruit and olives (healthy cravings)

My main craving bizarrely seems to be porridge!
Weird I know, I can pack away more oats at the
moment than the average horse!! I like to add dried
fruit to it to make a change and am thinking of other
ways to jazz it up. I don't really miss sweets...and
my tastes seemed to have changed.There are boxes
of porridge all over the show in my kitchen....my family
tend to make allowances though!
Kathy xx

My main craving bizarrely seems to be porridge!
Weird I know, I can pack away more oats at the
moment than the average horse!! I like to add dried
fruit to it to make a change and am thinking of other
ways to jazz it up. I don't really miss sweets...and
my tastes seemed to have changed.There are boxes
of porridge all over the show in my kitchen....my family
tend to make allowances though!
Kathy xx

Porridge is great for your levels and I too have been having it every morning through the winter. I have mine with a squeeze of honey - yum! I've found that, now the weather has got a bit warmer, I'm preferring weetabix, but still have porridge occasionally.

Are they sugar free? I also like most fruit and olives (healthy cravings)

Olives are 'hell-grapes', just as avocado is a 'hell-pear' and a gherkin is a 'hell-cucumber'- none of them tastes like they pretend they should! Urrrgh!😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back