Cramp

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Hba1c has risen again recently to 74. Coincidentally I have been experiencing really bad cramps in my feet, ankles and shins. My feet are ok and my DN said she doesn't think it's related. Does anyone else have experience of this and how do you deal with it?
I've been drinking Tonic water but I'm not convinced it makes a difference ‍♀️

I was getting really bad cramps in my legs and feet before I was diagnosed almost a year ago and once I was on medication, they disappeared. I think there was a connection, but it could just be coincidence :confused:

I find exactly that, if I haven't drunk enough I get dreadful cramp and the magnesium gel definitely helps.
It is particularly agonising if it is in the leg which has my bad knee. It happens more if my feet are cold.

Keeping hydrated and rubbing magnesium gel on the back of your calves at night can help if it’s cramp @zelda
Thanks for that, I drink enough water so I will def get some gel.

Hi @zelda

Cramp does happen a lot in the feet and legs when blood glucose is high and elevated for an extended time. The body excretes excess glucose in the urine which increases the need for the toilet and increases thirst. Along with water and glucose, vital electrolytes and salts which keep the body in balance are also excreted which can lead to frequent leg cramps.

The most effective way is to reduce blood sugar with medication if used and keep levels as stable and in range as possible.

I was getting really bad cramps in my legs and feet before I was diagnosed almost a year ago and once I was on medication, they disappeared. I think there was a connection, but it could just be coincidence :confused:
I've just been put back on metformin so will see if it eases. I really feel its connected but will follow the suggestion of magnesium gel.

Hi @zelda

Cramp does happen a lot in the feet and legs when blood glucose is high and elevated for an extended time. The body excretes excess glucose in the urine which increases the need for the toilet and increases thirst. Along with water and glucose, vital electrolytes and salts which keep the body in balance are also excreted which can lead to frequent leg cramps.

The most effective way is to reduce blood sugar with medication if used and keep levels as stable and in range as possible.
Thanks for this

I find exactly that, if I haven't drunk enough I get dreadful cramp and the magnesium gel definitely helps.
It is particularly agonising if it is in the leg which has my bad knee. It happens more if my feet are cold.
That's so weird, I said to my husband last night it's worse if my feet are cold! Gel being ordered as I type!

High blood sugar can be a cause of cramps - imbalances in electrolytes and things like that in muscles. I had it so bad I was in agony, and it was what led me to get a blood test and I found out I was diabetic. It went away when my blood sugar was under control.

It was worst when I was cold.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are suffering cramps and I hope that the gel gives you some relief.

Do you need any advice/support with lowering your HbA1c. 74 is definitely higher than you would like and may be contributing to the cramp issue. I know that I suffered more cramps in my legs when my levels were higher.

High blood sugar can be a cause of cramps - imbalances in electrolytes and things like that in mucles. I had it so bad I was in agony, and it was what led me to get a blood test and I found out I was diabetic. It went away when my blood sugar was under control.

It was worst when I was cold.
It all makes sense now. I had my Hba1c under control until recently so obviously my sugars have been rising without me realising. Thanks so much. And yes worse when cold!

Sorry to hear you are suffering cramps and I hope that the gel gives you some relief.

Do you need any advice/support with lowering your HbA1c. 74 is definitely higher than you would like and may be contributing to the cramp issue. I know that I suffered more cramps in my legs when my levels were higher.
Thanks for the offer of support, this site is great. When I was first diagnosed it was decided covid had triggered it as I had gone from a normal range to over 100 hba1c then 7 months later I was in a normal range and off all meds! Dr was very surprised, so I know what to do, I just need to DO IT... I'm going to start metformin again and I'm in a good frame of mind now I know. If anything it would be good to know what gel to buy as there so many names on the market? Thanks

Thanks for the offer of support, this site is great. When I was first diagnosed it was decided covid had triggered it as I had gone from a normal range to over 100 hba1c then 7 months later I was in a normal range and off all meds! Dr was very surprised, so I know what to do, I just need to DO IT... I'm going to start metformin again and I'm in a good frame of mind now I know. If anything it would be good to know what gel to buy as there so many names on the market? Thanks
I bought this one from Amazon

High Absorption Magnesium Gel for Leg Cramps - Muscle Recovery Gel from The Dead Sea for Sore Muscles - Less Itch & Less Sting Than Magnesium Oil​

about £12

I have found that a lack of salt triggers cramps big time.... Make sure you have enough salt in your diet. I would get some hydration tablets as they will provide vitamins and minerals you may be lacking

I have found that a lack of salt triggers cramps big time.... Make sure you have enough salt in your diet. I would get some hydration tablets as they will provide vitamins and minerals you may be lacking

People sometimes lack salt as when they change their diet and probably have less pre-prepared food and sauces which are often high in salt they then lack that in their diet.
I was low on folate and realised that by cutting down/out of things like bread and cereals which are fortified with folic acid.

People sometimes lack salt as when they change their diet and probably have less pre-prepared food and sauces which are often high in salt they then lack that in their diet.
I was low on folate and realised that by cutting down/out of things like bread and cereals which are fortified with folic acid.
Spot on.... the change in diet is bigger than most first think

I bought this one from Amazon

High Absorption Magnesium Gel for Leg Cramps - Muscle Recovery Gel from The Dead Sea for Sore Muscles - Less Itch & Less Sting Than Magnesium Oil​

about £12
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back