Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not meaning to fuel anxiety but not everyones experience is so good. The op is right to be cautious, although dealing with the anxiety it causes it also right.

I had it at the end of last year, with complications it caused, and I was hospitalised. As a diet controlled type 2, not too old or overweight I didn’t even qualify as extremely vulnerable but still ended up there. I’d been extremely careful compared to almost everyone I know in real life. I’m so glad it wasn’t earlier in the pandemic with worse variants, less knowledge and treatment or pre vaccines. Would just add even being hospitalised at the end of day 3 (symptoms only began on day 2) didn’t get me anti virals. I’m fundamentally ok now but it took a few months to get back to near normal although I still have a bit more brain fog than before.

Hope everyone stays safe and anxiety free

I’m not meaning to fuel anxiety but not everyones experience is so good. The op is right to be cautious, although dealing with the anxiety it causes it also right.

I had it at the end of last year, with complications it caused, and I was hospitalised. As a diet controlled type 2, not too old or overweight I didn’t even qualify as extremely vulnerable but still ended up there. I’d been extremely careful compared to almost everyone I know in real life. I’m so glad it wasn’t earlier in the pandemic with worse variants, less knowledge and treatment or pre vaccines. Would just add even being hospitalised at the end of day 3 (symptoms only began on day 2) didn’t get me anti virals. I’m fundamentally ok now but it took a few months to get back to near normal although I still have a bit more brain fog than before.

Hope everyone stays safe and anxiety free
I'm sorry you went through that. It must've been scary. Everyone seems to think covid is nothing but a common cold now & for many it is but when a common cold puts you in hosp aswell, covid or flu can be anxiety inducing.

What condition or treatment is causing you to have no immune system? You either should qualify because of it, or you’re misunderstanding something and do have an immune system that works enough that you’ll likely be okay without the antivirals.
I have no spleen so definitely no immune system and that is what I was told, anyway, I am now negative but very little energy. What is the best energy drink/supplement for me please?

I have no spleen so definitely no immune system and that is what I was told, anyway, I am now negative but very little energy. What is the best energy drink/supplement for me please?
The spleen is part of your immune system yes but having your spleen removed doesn’t mean you have no immune system, you’re misinformed on that. Your body can still fight infections without a spleen. There is a very small risk of worse infections is all.

Here’s some information about the spleen https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/spleen-problems-and-spleen-removal/#:~:text=The%20spleen%20is%20a%20fist,many%20of%20the%20spleen's%20functions.

The spleen is part of your immune system yes but having your spleen removed doesn’t mean you have no immune system, you’re misinformed on that. Your body can still fight infections without a spleen. There is a very small risk of worse infections is all.

Here’s some information about the spleen https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/spleen-problems-and-spleen-removal/#:~:text=The%20spleen%20is%20a%20fist,many%20of%20the%20spleen's%20functions.
I beg to differ when you have a consultant at the royal free advising me that I have no immune system and that’s why I am on penicillin for the rest of my life. With respect I am not on this forum to discuss what I know and definitely do not need to google it. Thank you

Sorry I'm asking about your sugars & i just saw you saying they've been erratic.
I hope you have a good diabetic review tomorrow.
Hi just seem to be 15 then back down to 3. Yea hopefully consultant can advise. Thank you

I beg to differ when you have a consultant at the royal free advising me that I have no immune system and that’s why I am on penicillin for the rest of my life. With respect I am not on this forum to discuss what I know and definitely do not need to google it. Thank you
Sounds like they oversimplified it for you to understand

NHS site:

If your spleen needs to be removed, other organs, such as the liver, can take over many of the spleen's functions.

This means you'll still be able to cope with most infections. But there's a small risk that a serious infection may develop quickly. This risk will be present for the rest of your life.

NHS site:

If your spleen needs to be removed, other organs, such as the liver, can take over many of the spleen's functions.

This means you'll still be able to cope with most infections. But there's a small risk that a serious infection may develop quickly. This risk will be present for the rest of your life.

I think it’s probably helpful for @Jac60 to take advice from their consultant who knows their case Lucy. I know your autism can make things seem very clear cut, but there is also the likelihood that the NHS page you have linked to has also been simplified so that it applies to the majority of cases?

How many times have we commented as much about simplification on diabetes websites?!

Hope you feel better soon @Jac60 and your BGs settle soon.

And hopefully you are reassured @Sugarcoated that the majority of members had a fairly easy time with Covid.

Last edited:
I think it’s probably helpful for @Jac60 to take advice from their consultant who knows their case Lucy. I know your autism can make things seem very clear cut, but there is also the likelihood that the NHS page you have linked to has also been simplified to that it applies to the majority of cases?
If they really did have no immune system they would have been flagged as eligible for the antivirals though. They weren’t eligible because they do have an immune system. And clearly their immune system does work since they’re now testing negative for Covid. If they have no immune system, how would their body have fought off Covid so quickly?

NHS site:

With respect I find you quite condescending and would prefer going forward for you not to acknowledge my threads. Thank you

I think it’s probably helpful for @Jac60 to take advice from their consultant who knows their case Lucy. I know your autism can make things seem very clear cut, but there is also the likelihood that the NHS page you have linked to has also been simplified to that it applies to the majority of cases?

How many times have we commented as much about simplification on diabetes websites?!

And hopefully you are reassured @Sugarcoated that the majority of members had a fairly easy time with Covid.
Thank you for this response and notes taken.

Yes it has thank you.
I just hope my post didn't cause any unrest.

Yes it has thank you.
I just hope my post didn't cause any unrest.

Not at all. Glad you have been somewhat reassured. Still worth being sensibly cautious though (eg accepting any booster vaccination that is offered In the autumn and avoiding close contact with family / friends who are ‘coming down with a cold’) 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back