Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarcoated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've was recently potentially exposed to covid but thankfully never caught it.
I'm worried about the effects it has on our bodies. I have cf & heart problems on top of diabetes. I've never had covid but flu almost killed me fee years ago.
How did you guys cope with covid & diabetes?
Thanks

I'm worried about the effects it has on our bodies. I have cf & heart problems on top of diabetes. I've never had covid but flu almost killed me fee years ago.
Thanks
I got it last July, even less than a bad cold.

Thanks

I had it last year, with no symptoms apart from a runny nose and no effect on blood sugar at all.

I have had it twice.
Both times, no worse than a cold.

My partner was not quite as lucky (he spent a couple of days in bed).
However, it is important to remember, treatment is understood much better now and it is less risky.
That is not to say we should ignore it. I kept some of the testing kits and always test if I get a hint if a cold.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend a glucose meter to keep a check on levels should you catch it. There seems to be a fairly widely reported link between contracting Covid & elevated levels afterwards.

I contracted it Easter last year. Wasn't too bad beyond the worst sore throat I've ever experienced. But afterwards I was completely drained of energy, which got progressively worse over six weeks. I put it down to the widely reported fatigue associated with Covid, but in fact my glucose was going through the roof. If I'd had a meter I would have been aware of that rather than ending up in A&E with DKA & an HbA1c of 117.

Had it early December 2019. A literally dripping nose for about 3 days, felt slightly under the weather, not much effect on BG or anything else at all noticeable. Husband with only 50% lung capacity prior to this anyway and I'd been thinking he ought to go and get a test cos he had lost his sense of taste a week or so previously, so he did and was positive so having started dripping and anyway both isolating anyway together in the same house, sleeping in the same bed etc, I went and no surprise, I tested positive too. Neither of us was 'ill'.

I've only once ever had 'ordinary' influenza - after they started letting us with diabetes have the annual flu jab, one year I couldn't be bothered to make an appt and go and get it, cos I wasn't certain if it helped or not - and THAT was the year I was too weak to get out of bed for a whole week! Never again have I not had my flu jab, and would not recommend anyone else doesn't either.

A Canadian lady on DSF said you know when you have the flu, cos even your hair hurts.

True statement.

I've had flu 3 times & each flu was horrific for me. And i was in ICU on 2 of them. Its true about even your hair hurts lol.
I'm actually seeing a psychologist to help me get winter ready as i have PTSD after flu but it only got really bad when covid came & shielding came into force. The media & gov't really messed me up mentally. The constant letters coming through my door telling me I'm extremely clinically vunerable & must not see anyone etc set off my anxiety & i struggle to see family/friends now & don't even get out much. And before people say, just get out its not that easy. The anxiety attack i get isn't just a panic, but i feel like I'm going to faint, vomit, my legs feel weak, my fingers tingle & i end up with a pounding headache. I'm determinedly to not spend another winter holed up at home so taking proactive measures by having counselling weekly.

I had Covid a couple of times. The muscle aches were very weird and painful. I’ve never felt anything like that before, like my thigh muscles were being attacked. Very strange. I also felt very tired. The second time was more like a cold but, again, I felt weak and tired.

My blood sugar was high and seemed to be keener to stay high than with a normal cold.

Thanks
Hi I have just been tested positive for Covid, type 1 diabetes and no immune system. I have been in bed all day as little energy and my levels are in the high side around 14 but I am generally Hypa then hypo. I am going to try and eat something and see how it goes from there.

Hi I have just been tested positive for Covid, type 1 diabetes and no immune system. I have been in bed all day as little energy and my levels are in the high side around 14 but I am generally Hypa then hypo. I am going to try and eat something and see how it goes from there.
Oh i hope you start to feel better soon. Do you qualify for the antivirals if you have no immune system?

Oh i hope you start to feel better soon. Do you qualify for the antivirals if you have no immune system?
Thank you. I feel worse today and rang my gp re the antivirals. As I don’t have a fever and breathing okay she didn’t offer. However, if I get worse than to ring them back. My throat is so painful so as instructed taking fluids and throat lozenges to numb the pain. This seems worse than when I had it after major surgery in December 2021. Just bed rest. Diabetes levels around 12.

As I don’t have a fever and breathing okay she didn’t offer. However, if I get worse than to ring them back.
Which is daft (in my opinion). Things like Paxlovid are only useful within ~5 days of onset. Once you're feeling bad it's probably too late for them to be helpful. (When various Cabinet Ministers took Paxlovid they sure didn't wait! Not even for a positive test in many cases.)

Which is daft (in my opinion). Things like Paxlovid are only useful within ~5 days of onset. Once you're feeling bad it's probably too late for them to be helpful. (When various Cabinet Ministers took Paxlovid they sure didn't wait! Not even for a positive test in many cases.)
Hi,
I must admit I felt I was asking out of turn! I only followed what it said on the website. If I get worse I will act upon it quickly.

Hi,
I must admit I felt I was asking out of turn! I only followed what it said on the website. If I get worse I will act upon it quickly.
Your GP's reaction is, I suspect, typical. Still not following the evidence, though. I'm sure there's an element of trying to save money, though I fear what's really happening is that lots of these medicines are going to be discarded unused as they expire.

They apparently have a strict requirement for antivirals. People with certain cancers, MS, sickle cell or transplantation patients will get offered them once they get a positive result. Then there's the consideration requirement on Drs authority which is lung patients with lung function under 60% (which is where i hope to qualify), again certain cancers & heart conditions & then for others its if you're in hospital but by the time you try to prove you qualify & get in touch with GP or hospital Dr, get prescription you could have passed the recommended 5 day starting period.
In America its so much easier to get Paxlovid or antiviral infusion. Yes, i know its due to money as they mostly pay through insurance.
I just don't understand our govts response. If people are still dying from covid, why not allow us to have paxlovid (i would willingly pay for it, if its due to funding).
My friend caught covid, had antiviral infusion within hours & within 24 hrs, was right as rain.
Sounds awful for you jac60 & i hope you start to feel better very soon.

Thank you. I feel worse today and rang my gp re the antivirals. As I don’t have a fever and breathing okay she didn’t offer. However, if I get worse than to ring them back. My throat is so painful so as instructed taking fluids and throat lozenges to numb the pain. This seems worse than when I had it after major surgery in December 2021. Just bed rest. Diabetes levels around 12.
Hi just wanted to give everyone an update. I was rough last night and rang 111 who in turn arranged another gp phone call. Somehow I always have to explain I have no immune system and type 1 diabetes which becomes a little frustrating. Nevertheless I have been given antibiotics and just had a call from the antiviral clinic. Unfortunately although I have no immune and diabetic I do not qualify for the antiviral as not going through chemo. It is what is is but just thought would let everyone know the criteria.

Hi just wanted to give everyone an update. I was rough last night and rang 111 who in turn arranged another gp phone call. Somehow I always have to explain I have no immune system and type 1 diabetes which becomes a little frustrating. Nevertheless I have been given antibiotics and just had a call from the antiviral clinic. Unfortunately although I have no immune and diabetic I do not qualify for the antiviral as not going through chemo. It is what is is but just thought would let everyone know the criteria.
Sorry you had a rough night & the antibiotics keep your lungs healthy.
Its ridiculous that you don't qualify for antivirals. Having no immune system should certainly put you in line for them.

Unfortunately although I have no immune and diabetic I do not qualify for the antiviral as not going through chemo.
What condition or treatment is causing you to have no immune system? You either should qualify because of it, or you’re misunderstanding something and do have an immune system that works enough that you’ll likely be okay without the antivirals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back