Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleF78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all

So tested positive for covid last night. First time for me. Diagnosed T1 only 2 months ago. Feeling pretty lousy. Thanks to my mum!

I have been testing for ketones but is there any other advice you can give me please. I have sugar free strepsils but I found my BG this morning isn’t coming down the same way.

Thanks
Michelle

Hi all

So tested positive for covid last night. First time for me. Diagnosed T1 only 2 months ago. Feeling pretty lousy. Thanks to my mum!

I have been testing for ketones but is there any other advice you can give me please. I have sugar free strepsils but I found my BG this morning isn’t coming down the same way.

Thanks
Michelle
Michelle, sorry you’re under the weather.

Drink plenty and rest up.

what sort of numbers are you seeing this morning and usually? when you tested for them, did you have any ketones? If so, what was the result? That’ll help someone guide you a bit

Michelle, sorry you’re under the weather.

Drink plenty and rest up.

what sort of numbers are you seeing this morning and usually? when you tested for them, did you have any ketones? If so, what was the result? That’ll help someone guide you a bit
Hi thank you so much.

Ketones were 0.1 twice now on tests so nothing to worry about. I’m working from home so not much resting. My BG never did anything with a 4 correction this morning about 6. I have DP and FOTF which is so annoying! Take my insulin in bed now before I get up. Should I expect my BG to still behave normally with Covid?

Hi thank you so much.

Ketones were 0.1 twice now on tests so nothing to worry about. I’m working from home so not much resting. My BG never did anything with a 4 correction this morning about 6. I have DP and FOTF which is so annoying! Take my insulin in bed now before I get up. Should I expect my BG to still behave normally with Covid?
I’m very fortunate not to have experience Covid, to date, but I have seen lots of folks comment their numbers are higher than their usual ranges.

there are some who run lower, but I’d say they’re in the minority.

As you probably know numbers heading into the teens (so around 12+), with ketones is a time to seek professional help, on 111 or 999. If in doubt, reach out.

@MichelleF78
Hi Michelle I'm sorry that you have covid. I had it for the first time around a month ago and it made my blood sugars higher for around 10-14 days but I was able to control them with my insulin pump, although that didn't stop them going up to 18 at one point. My main suggestion would be that it's really important to be proactive with your diabetes control during covid to prevent blood sugars running away with themselves and I would also suggest testing them at least once or twice during the night.
Here is a link that the NHS issued to Typ1 diabetics about managing it with Covid.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/w...abetes-Sick-Day-Rules-Type-1-MDI-06042020.pdf

I’m very fortunate not to have experience Covid, to date, but I have seen lots of folks comment their numbers are higher than their usual ranges.

there are some who run lower, but I’d say they’re in the minority.

As you probably know numbers heading into the teens (so around 12+), with ketones is a time to seek professional help, on 111 or 999. If in doubt, reach out.
Thanks very much

@MichelleF78
Hi Michelle I'm sorry that you have covid. I had it for the first time around a month ago and it made my blood sugars higher for around 10-14 days but I was able to control them with my insulin pump, although that didn't stop them going up to 18 at one point. My main suggestion would be that it's really important to be proactive with your diabetes control during covid to prevent blood sugars running away with themselves and I would also suggest testing them at least once or twice during the night.
Here is a link that the NHS issued to Typ1 diabetics about managing it with Covid.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/w...abetes-Sick-Day-Rules-Type-1-MDI-06042020.pdf
Many thanks I hope you are fighting fit now

How are you feeling today Michelle and how are your levels? Must be scary getting an illness so soon after your diagnosis. Pleased to see Amanda has posted sick day rules. This is one of the things covered by the DAFNE course, when you eventually get it.
Anyway, hope you aren't feeling too rough and BG and ketones are in the safe zone.

Oh dear! So sorry to hear you are feeling rubbish! Sounds like you know what you are doing with your insulin though which is amazing considering how newly diagnosed you are. Hang in there and hope you get some rest tonight and feel better tomorrow.

Hi Michelle, hope you don’t mind me replying. I have just tested positive for Covid and seen your post . Can anyone tell me what is going to lie ahead for me , I pray nothing too severe .
I had a stuffy nose, tickly cough, a bit of a headache for a couple of days, nothing even as bad as a cold. It still tested positive for 7 days.
I actually felt much less nervous of getting it after having it.
I know some people do have pretty severe symptoms. I hope it will be mild for you.

Hi Michelle, hope you don’t mind me replying. I have just tested positive for Covid and seen your post . Can anyone tell me what is going to lie ahead for me , I pray nothing too severe .
I don't think anyone knows, but of course we can hope it's mild. (And quite likely it will be.) Presuming you don't otherwise qualify for Paxlovid, you could sign up for the Panoramic trial, https://www.panoramictrial.org/
(At least, you can try, if it's still running. The web site suggests it is.)

(If you're interested, do it now. There's no point in waiting to see if you get more sick: by that time it's too late.)

Hi @Edgehill please try not to worry. It was my first time and I did have many of the symptoms but it’s a week now and I am negative today and mostly over it all. Everyone is different. The dose I caught from my mum was quite bad so a lot depends on that. It did wipe me out but that was lack of sleep also. Keep a firm eye on your glucose, mine was a bit all over the place. The vaccines in my opinion have helped. Wishing you a very speedy recovery x

Hi @Edgehill please try not to worry. It was my first time and I did have many of the symptoms but it’s a week now and I am negative today and mostly over it all. Everyone is different. The dose I caught from my mum was quite bad so a lot depends on that. It did wipe me out but that was lack of sleep also. Keep a firm eye on your glucose, mine was a bit all over the place. The vaccines in my opinion have helped. Wishing you a very speedy recovery x
Hi Michelle, how v kind of you to reply so promptly. I’m a carer, so the first worry was for the two people who I care for . Thanks for sharing the positive news with you now recovering, can’t pretend I’m not anxious but reading your post has made me feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you

Hi @Edgehill How are you feeling today?
It would help if you can tell us how you manage your diabetes? ie. What if any medication you take for it?
Do you home test your BG levels? If so, what sort of readings are you getting?
How long have you been diabetic and how well is it managed?

It is important to drink plenty ideally water or other low carb drinks to prevent dehydration. This will also help to flush any excess glucose out of you body through your kidneys if your levels do go higher.

The vast majority of people getting Covid now seem to only experience mild to moderate symptoms (even those with diabetes) and so there is every reason to assume you will be the same. Try not to worry, just rest, keep drinking fluids and I believe paracetamol is the over the counter remedy of choice as this will help to tackle aches and pains as well as help regulate temperature. Hope you are on the mend very soon and do keep us updated.

The vast majority of people getting Covid now seem to only experience mild to moderate symptoms (even those with diabetes) and so there is every reason to assume you will be the same.
It's reasonable to assume that most of us have had it even if we're not sure. I presume I have, and if so, it must have felt like a cold (I've had several in the last year). (It's also possible to just have been infected, without any symptoms. I presume that's happened to most of us several times, too. Perhaps almost all of us.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back