Covid Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is anybody else having a problem herring their booster shot? Last autumn mine was delayed as I had Covid. On the spring I didn't have the booster as they said there had to be a six month gap and at six months they said not before surgery which became a moving feast. Post surgery a GP said we will get that sorted out but it was not. In September I rang and was told I was on the district nurse list for home vaccination. Hearing nothing after over 6 weeks I rang again. I was told GPs don't get involved and it is 119 I want. 119 said GPs request via the district nurses. And you have guessed it the district nurses said it is nothing to do with them! One even told me they don't do injections when I have seen them come to give others insulin, heparin, etc. I am totally fed up with going around in circles as instead of "a duty of care" I am getting "pass the buck". Any ideas how I can sort this nonsense?

Can’t help on that I’m afraid, but I was told last night that NHS is stopping COVID boosters altogether next month. For good.
I never knew that, but I hope it is just some odd news item that has passed me by because I don’t read tabloids or have a TV……….

Try googling your local council name (and/or NHS trust) and covid 19 booster. Some Councils have put up guidance on how to access.
My sister-in-law ended up having her's done at a local pharmacy. You just need to make sure it is the booster which covers the variant types.

I just booked online on the National booking site and had it the next day

We had the text from local vaccination service at the time of Queens funeral, and then a month later our GP were doing flu and Covid together if needed. This is the first time our surgery has been involved in the Covid Vaccine.

My issue is whilst I can book I cannot get there as I am now miles from family and friends. Even though I am not far from the GP and pharmacy it's all uphill. I did try it but by half way my arms were giving out. I cannot be the only person in the UK with this issue. Maybe if I say I was in the forces they will help me?

I doubt they would stop boosters as they don't stop flu vaccination, and as Covid affects more working age people it would further damage the economy!

Is there a 'community hub' in your area? I have noticed that a number popped up during lockdown and I know of a couple around here which are continuing to operate to help people with collecting meds, getting to and from appointments, shopping etc. If you are on Facebook, you could search to see if your nearest towns/villages, etc, have their own pages. If so, you could post to see if there is anyone who could give you a lift. Many volunteers are still helping - some very good people out there. If you aren't on Facebook, you could ring a local library who often know of such 'hubs' (for want of a better word!). The pharmacy might also know.

It seems you are having to jump through far too many hoops to get help.

Had mine 6 weeks back together with flu jab, just booked online had it done at church in town.

Find out what Integrated Care Board (ICB) has supplanted the former CCG that oversaw your GP's Surgery; it will probably have a geographic title, eg the Bucks, Oxford and Berks (West) (BOB ICB). Then contact the PALs that acts as the interface between Patients and the ICB; by phone or email. They are highly likely to know who provides this service and how you can get assistance, either by getting jabbed at home or transported to a vaccination centre; if they don't have this info at their fingertips, they will do their utmost to find out.

Sadly like the other three times I have contacted PALS in the last twenty years they proved utterly useless. Actually I have never heard a word of praise for the!

Is there a pharmacy in your area that’s offering a drop-in service? That’s how I had my most recent booster. It’s hard to find these things out (my surgery were clueless) but I’m lucky to have some elderly friends who pointed me in the right direction. Good luck!

I did not think most working age people are eligible for the booster.

I’m working age and was persued pretty relentlessly for my covid booster and flu jab double-whammy.

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time getting this sorted @MikeyBikey - hope @Bloden ‘s idea of a local pharmacy proves a promising avenue

I’m working age and was persued pretty relentlessly for my covid booster and flu jab double-whammy.

Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time getting this sorted @MikeyBikey - hope @Bloden ‘s idea of a local pharmacy proves a promising avenue
Ah yes but you're in an "at risk" group. Most working age people who don't have qualifying health conditions or work in health or social care aren't being offered it

I too am working age and had a booster with nothing to do with my medical condition - I am not considered to be in an “at risk” group and software engineering is not a health or social care job.

Everyone over 50 was/is entitled to the booster. Unfortunately, retirement age is not until 67. So, there are a fair number of us working age people who got boosted.

I too am working age and had a booster with nothing to do with my medical condition - I am not considered to be in an “at risk” group and software engineering is not a health or social care job.

Everyone over 50 was/is entitled to the booster. Unfortunately, retirement age is not until 67. So, there are a fair number of us working age people who got boosted.
You are in an at risk group, you have diabetes

I got an invite from my GP when they ran a joint flu/covid session.
I couldn't make it, so just booked directly with the NHS online.

You are in an at risk group, you have diabetes
Type 1 diabetics under the age of 50 were not entitled to the latest booster unless they had some other condition or maybe were specifically at risk due to a HbA1C over 75.
At least, not in England.

It entitled me to an earlier first covid vaccine (and the second booster due to timings) but not this latest booster.

Type 1 diabetics under the age of 50 were not entitled to the latest booster unless they had some other condition or maybe were specifically at risk due to a HbA1C over 75.
At least, not in England.
Yes, but we all are for this one. We're all clinically vulnerable, but not all immunocompromised (which I think was the description for the Spring booster eligibility, though it was pretty much Groups 1-4 of the original list).

Yes, but we all are for this one. We're all clinically vulnerable, but not all immunocompromised (which I think was the description for the Spring booster eligibility, though it was pretty much Groups 1-4 of the original list).
Not all of group 2. The spring booster didn't include health and social care workers who weren't also in one of those groups for another reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back