Covid and sugar levels high

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use it with a Libre2, I suspect that is because the Bluetooth needs to be on all the time to receive the alarms.
I think that’s right, all the original Libre reader had to do was to wake up when you scanned.

My BG meter was changed to a Caresens Duo when I was diagnosed Type 1 3yrs ago, so that I could test for blood ketones. I have to date still failed to get blood ketones test strips prescribed!!. The best the DN at the surgery could do was to add Ketostix for urine testing. I have mentioned it to the consultant several times but it still hasn't been sorted. To be fair I haven't needed to test for ketones in that 3 year period but like @Robin I did make a push for something to be sorted when Covid advice was circulating about always keeping at least a months supply of insulin on hand and testing for ketones with Covid. Thankfully I have dodged C so far (long may hat continue) but at least I have Ketostix if I do need to test, even if it isn't ideal.

I know the diabetes clinic is bogged down with cases and overworked so whilst I keep mentioning blood ketone strips when I have an appointment, I am not making a huge issue or chasing it up as I do at least have a means of testing for ketones on prescription now.

As a newbie to type 2 I had the occasion to visit my local walk-in centre this Tuesday just gone as I was feeling unwell.
I told her I had just been diagnosed with type 2 and she carried out a BG test and also a urine Ketone test, to be honest I had never heard of ketones before that. Anyway, she said that I should go to A&E straight away as the reading was 2.4 which she said was high.
Cut a long story short I spent 7 hours there, had every test possible and eventually got it down to 1.7 which they considered okay. Silly question is, what is it that causes ketones and how should I avoid them?
Thank you.

Silly question is, what is it that causes ketones and how should I avoid them?

Hi, I have tested positive for covid and have LADA diabetes and my glucose levels are extremely high. I’ve been injecting more bolus insulin (novo rapid) but don’t seem to be able to stabilise them. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and am I better injecting more basal insulin?
Hmm, this is interesting because my insulin needs have basically doubled in the last week (or more as i cant get them stable, and they were already high to start with). I have had a cough and a drippy nose and did test for covid after a few days but it was negative. Maybe I need to test again...

In either case, you are definitely not alone and I hope you recover quickly.

I have had a cough and a drippy nose and did test for covid after a few days but it was negative.
Other infections can cause raised BG.

And I've seen lots of reports of people repeatedly getting negative rapid tests before finally getting a positive one. I suggest treating a positive test as a strong signal but not negative ones. (As people have always said of these tests, to be fair.)

Other infections can cause raised BG.

And I've seen lots of reports of people repeatedly getting negative rapid tests before finally getting a positive one. I suggest treating a positive test as a strong signal but not negative ones. (As people have always said of these tests, to be fair.)
The curious thing is I don't feel unwell, but hayfever meds aren't helping whatever is up with my nose so I assume it's a cold. I think the other thing playing on my mind is this happened straight after increasing my liraglutide to 1.8, and a smaller bump in insulin requirements happened when they added in liraglutide - the opposite should be true, but it struck me as interesting. But there's a dozen threads of people who suddenly need more insulin and then go back to normal, so I'm just keeping an eye on it. But I have to say my insulin demand is so high, it's making me nervous. Bolus to compensate for a normal 40g carb meal is 30-40u right now. That's getting into severe insulin resistance territory which is concerning. But I'm hijacking a thread, wasn't my intention, apologies.

Many thanks for that @Bruce Stephens very informative and very very useful, will print it off in the morning.
Thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back