Covid and sugar levels high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laueli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi, I have tested positive for covid and have LADA diabetes and my glucose levels are extremely high. I’ve been injecting more bolus insulin (novo rapid) but don’t seem to be able to stabilise them. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and am I better injecting more basal insulin?

I don't know about the insulin but certainly people have found their blood glucose has risen if they have Covid or indeed any sort of infection.

Unfortunately, when our levels are high (which is common when our bodies are stressed by illness), we experience insulin resistance. I find I need twice as much bolus to correct a high over 15 compared to what I need to correct a 10.
Depending upon which basal insulin you take, you may also benefit from increasing your basal. I increased mine 40% when I had Covid. However, very long acting basal such as Tresiba may take 4 days for an increase to take affect.
I took a two pronged attack. Increased basal and corrected with bolus. Remember, basal should keep your levels stable do you need to lower them with bolus.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, when our levels are high (which is common when our bodies are stressed by illness), we experience insulin resistance. I find I need twice as much bolus to correct a high over 15 compared to what I need to correct a 10.
Depending upon which basal insulin you take, you may also benefit from increasing your basal. I increased mine 40% when I had Covid. However, very long acting basal such as Tresiba may take 4 days for an increase to take affect.
I took a two pronged attack. Increased basal and corrected with bolus. Remember, basal should keep your levels stable do you need to lower them with bolus.
Thank you, that’s really helpful!

Hi, I have tested positive for covid and have LADA diabetes and my glucose levels are extremely high. I’ve been injecting more bolus insulin (novo rapid) but don’t seem to be able to stabilise them. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and am I better injecting more basal insulin?

How high is ‘extremely high’? Are you testing for ketones?

How high is ‘extremely high’? Are you testing for ketones?
As high as 22. I haven’t tested for Ketones, I just looked it up and didn’t realise there was a test I could get over the counter. I will get one, thank you!

3 days of steadily rising levels before testing positive, then a few days of absolutely insane levels. On the worst day I injected three times normal bolus amount and still barely got my BG below 15. Doubled basal after that, but still needing a lot more bolus. Still on a slightly elevated dose now, two months later, compared to before infection, but my exercise levels have dropped dramatically so that is no doubt making a difference.

As high as 22. I haven’t tested for Ketones, I just looked it up and didn’t realise there was a test I could get over the counter. I will get one, thank you!

It’s really important to watch for ketones. I’d also seek medical advice if your levels are that high and you’re unsure as to what to do. Do you have the number of a DSN?

For the future, you should be able to have Ketostix added to your repeat prescriptions. Good to have a pack in reserve for when your BG is inexplicably high.

3 days of steadily rising levels before testing positive, then a few days of absolutely insane levels. On the worst day I injected three times normal bolus amount and still barely got my BG below 15. Doubled basal after that, but still needing a lot more bolus. Still on a slightly elevated dose now, two months later, compared to before infection, but my exercise levels have dropped dramatically so that is no doubt making a difference.
Sounds like how mine are, it’s been putting me off eating! I have increased bolus considerably but will increase my basal aswell to see if it will make a difference.

It’s really important to watch for ketones. I’d also seek medical advice if your levels are that high and you’re unsure as to what to do. Do you have the number of a DSN?
I do, thank you I will give them a call if I can’t get control over them in the next few days.

For the future, you should be able to have Ketostix added to your repeat prescriptions. Good to have a pack in reserve for when your BG is inexplicably high.
Ok, thanks that’s good to know I will see if I can get it added.

@Laueli - you really ought to ask for BLOOD testing strips and a relevant meter rather than the pee testing strips.

If you happen to have Libre, and a reader, the Libre readers can also be used both as a BG testing meter and as a Ketone testing one. So - you'll only need the test strips!

I do have an old libre reader so will look into it, thank you
If you have the charging cable for it, make sure it will still charge - the batteries don't stay 'up' very long - and not much good to you if it's dead when you need it!

If you have the charging cable for it, make sure it will still charge - the batteries don't stay 'up' very long - and not much good to you if it's dead when you need it!
Depends if it’s an original Libre or a Libre 2, I suspect. My Libre 2 reader needs charging frequently, but my Libre 1 was still working the other day after a couple of months in the drawer.

you really ought to ask for BLOOD testing strips and a relevant meter rather than the pee testing strips.
I didn't know this was a thing! My otherwise on the ball DSN didn't even mention it when we reviewed repeat prescriptions last year, unless ketone blood self testing is a very recent innovation.

Annual review coming up in a couple of weeks. Added to my list of questions.

Well - how often does your BG get into the teens and 20s and stay there more than momentarily (as it were) eg as happens when you mis-estimate the carbs and therefore the bolus dose?

How often do you have summat other than D, up with you, medically?

I didn't know this was a thing! My otherwise on the ball DSN didn't even mention it when we reviewed repeat prescriptions last year, unless ketone blood self testing is a very recent innovation.

Annual review coming up in a couple of weeks. Added to my list of questions.
I was never given a means of ketone testing when I was diagnosed. Fortunately I’ve never needed them, but at the start of Covid, there were reports of people with diabetes being prone to developing ketones at lower levels of blood glucose than would normally be expected, so I mentioned that to my GP at my review, and she prescribed me some.

Depends if it’s an original Libre or a Libre 2, I suspect. My Libre 2 reader needs charging frequently, but my Libre 1 was still working the other day after a couple of months in the drawer.
If you use it with a Libre2, I suspect that is because the Bluetooth needs to be on all the time to receive the alarms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back