Covid again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamHim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone, hope you're all well ?

Ive tested and i sure have got Covid, i am feeling so weak and can hardly function at all, this is tiring typing this, am 100% off my food, always peeing and thursty, im telling you just in case something happens, have never ever felt this bad. any advice.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that @IamLawrie. Obvious question - do you have anybody around to help out if needed?

Update: Because it was the first time when I got Covid in 2020 / 2021 that I was then diagnosed with T1 diabetes, so as you can imagine im pretty scared, I have calmed myself down, taken some paracetamol and checked my blood - 12.5 (slightly raised due to Covid so I read). I have the mother of all headaches plus didnt sleep too well, I need to tell myself to not panic and now im calming down. Just be warned everyone, the virus is still with us.

You might need to consider increasing your basal (long acting) insulin whilst you are unwell if your levels are running higher than normal and make sure to have a means to test for ketones ... either ketostix to dip in your urine or blood ketone test strips if you have a dual meter which tests both Blood Glucose and Blood ketones.

Hope you feel better soon but do let us know if you are worried or not sure about anything.

You might need to consider increasing your basal (long acting) insulin whilst you are unwell if your levels are running higher than normal and make sure to have a means to test for ketones ... either ketostix to dip in your urine or blood ketone test strips if you have a dual meter which tests both Blood Glucose and Blood ketones.

Hope you feel better soon but do let us know if you are worried or not sure about anything.
Thank you, I can still taste so thats one thing, not much appetite, I am drinking lots and peeing more than usual, which is like when I had DKA, my ketones level last night was 0.3.

Careful increasing basal with covid. Myself and at least one other person with Type 1 found our blood sugars drop after the first day.

As for covid still being here. Definitely. I had it at the start of the month ... in time for the coronation.

Careful increasing basal with covid. Myself and at least one other person with Type 1 found our blood sugars drop after the first day.

As for covid still being here. Definitely. I had it at the start of the month ... in time for the coronation.
Very sorry to hear that, did you have cold chills even when its warm and hot out ?

I just tested ketones and its 0.1 so they are not currently affected, I will check often.

Very sorry to hear that, did you have cold chills even when its warm and hot out ?
Thankfully, I just had a bad cold.
It wiped out my (non-diabetic) partner for a few days. He just slept whereas I was back to work.
Three weeks later, we spent the last weekend hiking in Wales and both back to normal fitness levels.

Hope your recovery is fast ... but don't rush it.

Sorry @IamLawrie - got called away. Glad to see you got yourself together , calmed down did the sensible things and sorted yourself out. Take care and yes it is a timely reminder that covid has not gone away.

I've just recovered from my 2nd bout. Like a pretty bad cold for a week but somehow different - just feels a bit poxier for some reason - then it settled into my lungs for a further week of blah.

I'd say less than half as bad as my first tango with it last June: one day flat on back instead of four, only lost 1kg instead of 2kg etc etc.

I’m just recovering from covid. My main symptoms were a bad headache and disturbed sleep followed by a sore throat and just generally feeling horrible. I didn’t have much of an appetite either. It’s taking me a while to get better.

Rest as much as you can. Keep an eye on your ketones and keep your fluids up.

Sorry @IamLawrie - got called away. Glad to see you got yourself together , calmed down did the sensible things and sorted yourself out. Take care and yes it is a timely reminder that covid has not gone away.
Hey there's no need to apologise. We all have lives to lead. 🙂 I appreciate your comment tho.

I've just recovered from my 2nd bout. Like a pretty bad cold for a week but somehow different - just feels a bit poxier for some reason - then it settled into my lungs for a further week of blah.

I'd say less than half as bad as my first tango with it last June: one day flat on back instead of four, only lost 1kg instead of 2kg etc etc.
Hey thanks, what do you mean by poxier? Ive just got to let it do its thing. it would had helped if my old GP didnt mess up my NHS record by saying I had a booster when I didnt, guessing its too late for that and the flu jab now ? Ive been waiting for the NHS to call back but am probally lost in the system somewhere. Hope you're better now ?

I’m just recovering from covid. My main symptoms were a bad headache and disturbed sleep followed by a sore throat and just generally feeling horrible. I didn’t have much of an appetite either. It’s taking me a while to get better.

Rest as much as you can. Keep an eye on your ketones and keep your fluids up.
Oh no sorry to hear this, have you had it before? I cant sleep at night, tho paracetamol and fluids is certainly helping, wwhen i wake up im often shivering then need to find the energy to drag myself out of the bed to take paracetamol and make a hot coffee.

Hey thanks, what do you mean by poxier?
I guess really just feeling more malaised than I'd expect from a cold, but it's hard to put into words.

Anyway, for me getting over it both times has been just a matter of time & trying to get rest. Also dealing with lack of appetite - I'm pretty scrawny these days and if I shed weight it's mainly muscle/lean mass, which I can't afford to lose.

Oh no sorry to hear this, have you had it before? I cant sleep at night, tho paracetamol and fluids is certainly helping, wwhen i wake up im often shivering then need to find the energy to drag myself out of the bed to take paracetamol and make a hot coffee.
This is my first time.

Luckily we buy melatonin for one of the kids so I’ve been taking that to help with the sleep although it’s still not perfect. I have snacks, meds and drink to hand so that when I wake up I can just grab my drugs.

I guess really just feeling more malaised than I'd expect from a cold, but it's hard to put into words.

Anyway, for me getting over it both times has been just a matter of time & trying to get rest. Also dealing with lack of appetite - I'm pretty scrawny these days and if I shed weight it's mainly muscle/lean mass, which I can't afford to lose.
Thank you, sorry for not replying sooner.

This is my first time.

Luckily we buy melatonin for one of the kids so I’ve been taking that to help with the sleep although it’s still not perfect. I have snacks, meds and drink to hand so that when I wake up I can just grab my drugs.
Oh no, poor you.. Apologies for not replying sooner, are you feeling better now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back