Cost of people being overweight in UK now £98bn, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryjaneholland

Estimate includes £63bn cost to people affected, £19bn cost to NHS and £15bn cost to society... Britain’s weight problem costs almost £100bn a year, analysis suggests, prompting calls for a government crackdown on unhealthy food and a drive to promote fresh ingredients...

Interesting new word not seen before here - "obesogenic" as in "our food environment is now an obesogenic environment" and this article highlights many conversations which pop-up on support forum as our society faces huge epidemic of obesity, diabetes, food poverty and related heart disease, reduced lifespans and premature deaths from previously preventable treatable "lifestyle conditions", I can hear the NHS creaking and buckling under the pressure, oh well! 🙄

Estimate includes £63bn cost to people affected, £19bn cost to NHS and £15bn cost to society... Britain’s weight problem costs almost £100bn a year, analysis suggests, prompting calls for a government crackdown on unhealthy food and a drive to promote fresh ingredients...

Interesting new word not seen before here - "obesogenic" as in "our food environment is now an obesogenic environment" and this article highlights many conversations which pop-up on support forum as our society faces huge epidemic of obesity, diabetes, food poverty and related heart disease, reduced lifespans and premature deaths from previously preventable treatable "lifestyle conditions", I can hear the NHS creaking and buckling under the pressure, oh well! 🙄
Glibly: That'd pay for Wegovy for 25M+ people at list price, way more than the number of people with obesity in the UK ...

Interesting new word not seen before here - "obesogenic" as in "our food environment is now an obesogenic environment"
It's a word that's been used lots on this site (and in general on the subject). It feels like a really useful concept to me: there's a temptation for some to argue that being obese is about personal failing, so it seems helpful to have a word to describe the environments that are surely mostly to blame.

Is that £98 bn a cost or an investment ? How many jobs is obesity creating ?

Unfortunately, I think £100 billion per year is the acceptable collateral damage our government is willing to accept as the "cost of dong business" with multinational corporations ruling the food and drinks industry, the sugar barons (married to health ministers, ahem), the shareholders and parent companies of supermarkets and all the various meat/dairy/sugar/GMO/fastfood lobbyists pushing their agendas behind the scenes we never hear about in the "free press", I guess the turkeys (us) have voted for Christmas again... Gobble gobble... 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back