Cost of living crisis and your diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got 7.5 tog on bed now, going to change it to 10.5 later as cold in bed last night, even been looking at electric blanket for first time in life, don't like being warm in summer cold in winter.
that reminds me, should dig out the winter duvet for inspection. hot water bottles are keeping me cosy for now :D

What was the £150 for?
I haven't a clue. I've had a few payouts lately. I think maybe all peoples on benefits have. Never look a gift horse in the mouth I say. 🙂 I am on state pension and old biddies pip.

We got 7.5 tog on bed now, going to change it to 10.5 later as cold in bed last night, even been looking at electric blanket for first time in life, don't like being warm in summer cold in winter.
Just got our october energy bill, its only £16 after the govt payment is taken off, that's £16 less than a year ago.

I haven't a clue. I've had a few payouts lately. I think maybe all peoples on benefits have. Never look a gift horse in the mouth I say. 🙂 I am on state pension and old biddies pip.
I am on a pension but don't get anything else. It's because we don't qualify for UC even though we really need it. If you are also on UC and disabled, you get loads.

I am on a pension but don't get anything else. It's because we don't qualify for UC even though we really need it. If you are also on UC and disabled, you get loads.

Personally, I prefer not being disabled and on UC.
Everything is relative.

Personally, I prefer not being disabled and on UC.
Everything is relative.
I would love to be on UC. 2 of us are trying to manage on a total income of £295 a week with no help for anything. We both have health issues that aren't severe enough to be on disability but not well enough in our mid 60's to work. It's a catch 22 situation. Not well enough to work but not ill enough to get help.

I would love to be on UC. 2 of us are trying to manage on a total income of £295 a week with no help for anything. We both have health issues that aren't severe enough to be on disability but not well enough in our mid 60's to work. It's a catch 22 situation. Not well enough to work but not ill enough to get help.

I can't comment on that.
I guess you need to look at sites that help you to build on benefits?

Have you tried a benefits calculator? Which disability benefits have you tried applying for? Have you considered PIP? Because PIP has nothing to do with a diagnosis, it has everything to do with how well you can attempt certain tasks listed in a set of descriptors in relation to daily activities and mobility.

What are you on then? You must be on something!? You have to sign on for UC I think. What about Carers? Can't one of you look after the other one? 🙂 That way you get UC and Carers and are comfortable. I know peoples who do that. You have to do something or starve. Back in the day I'd have been in the Workhouse and I never forget it. I am very grateful to live in this wonderful country.

PIPs a different ballgame altogether, you have to be at death's door to get that. A friend of my friend had breast cancer and didn't qualify. 😳

I thought when you are in receipt of Pension, you can't claim Universal Credit. Though some on pension can claim pension credit,

What are you on then? You must be on something!? You have to sign on for UC I think. What about Carers? Can't one of you look after the other one? 🙂 That way you get UC and Carers and are comfortable. I know peoples who do that. You have to do something or starve. Back in the day I'd have been in the Workhouse and I never forget it. I am very grateful to live in this wonderful country.

PIPs a different ballgame altogether, you have to be at death's door to get that. A friend of my friend had breast cancer and didn't qualify. 😳

I'm not sure the alternative is better.
I have a friend's mum who does qualify.
Unfortunately her cancer is inoperable, and she her been given a terminal diagnosis, which does tick the boxes apparently.

In respect of cancer the special rules may apply. Although saying that, having cancer doesn’t automatically entitle you, because as I said it’s not awarded based on a diagnosis, however if a doctor confirms details around life expectancy, special rules can apply.

Hi , we use to shop at Lidl but as they changer the voucher scheme we also shop at Morrison.

Lidi have stopped selling low GI bread so I now buy granery bread and really enjoy it.However I reduce the portion.

Morrison selling prices are competitive

We are fortunate that the supermarkets are close to each other.

As yet we have not turned on our central heating system on as the temperature in our apartment is 20.

If I feel cool I put on warm clothes on.

Tesco isn't bad now, they keep an eye on Aldi and compete. Bro is pleased as they have cheap cat litter and cat food. 🙂 My cat will only eat Gourmet, she has delusions of grandeur.

We are looking at alternative heating methods as we currently have a gas standard condensing boiler with hot water cylinder, but it is now quite old so may not be that efficient.
Does anybody have experience of Air Source Heat pumps for their domestic heating system?

We are looking at alternative heating methods as we currently have a gas standard condensing boiler with hot water cylinder, but it is now quite old so may not be that efficient.
Does anybody have experience of Air Source Heat pumps for their domestic heating system?

I've been looking at those, but I doubt they would be cost effective unless there was a grant available.

Hi Leadinglights , My brother has installed an air sourced air pump system in his house in France.

My brother lives in the La Rochelle area in South West France.

The winters are not as cold as the UK but the maximum temperature he has managed to achieve is 18.

His system is extremely loud when trying to achieve temperature but I understand the system runs continually and the noise abates at operating temperature.

You do need to make sure you radiators are large enough / pipes again large enough to gain benefit from system.

He has a large utility room so space is not a problem for him.

It's not easy to compare running costs as it's all electric but no gas.

I won't tell you the installed cost because the French government heavily subsidiaries the installation.

If I have missed anything please ask and I will be pleased to ask my bother any specific question.

I've been looking at those, but I doubt they would be cost effective unless there was a grant available.
I thought there was a grant available? Supposedly enough to make the installation costs comparable to a new gas boiler. But only a limited number of said grants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back