Cornflakes

Spook

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So told to I should stop eating Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, so got brought normal cornflakes, so why is the carbohydrates higher, Crunchy Nut 25g against normal cornflakes 31g. Confused.com

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well... two things...

One is that the GI (how fast carbs in a food hits your bloodstream) of Cornflakes is approx 75, while the GI of sucrose (table sugar) is only 60. For reference pure glucose has a GI of 100.

The GI of Frosties is about 65 from memory (ie adding sucrose actually *slows down* the absorption!)

The other is that GI is only an indication, based on the average from a small sample (100 people) eating 50g in carbs of one foodstuff in isolation - which is artificial, and not how foods are generally eaten.

Plus absorption of carbs is hugely influenced by an individual’s gut biome, metabolism, genes etc... So knowing an average of what happens for 100 other people is of far less value than taking a BG reading, eating a meal (or food) and checking 1hr, 2hrs and perhaps 3hrs and 4hrs after starting to eat whatever it is.

Then aim for the ones that suit both your taste buds and your BGs.

So depending on your own results, you might decide that cornflakes are absolutely fine... or like me you may conclude that All Cereal Is Evil. :p

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have just checked the nutritional info on the Kelloggs website

Their ordinary cornflakes have 84g carbs per 100g of which 8g are sugars
and a 30g portion contains 25g carbs

Their Crunchy Nut Cornflakes contain 82g carbs per 100g but 35g of that are sugars
but a 30g portion contains 25g carbs

So effectively there is no difference in overall carbohydrate content between the two but the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes have a much higher proportion of sugar as you would expect, so as Mike says, the Glycaemic index of the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes is much higher than ordinary ones and the sugars will hit your blood stream faster resulting in a sudden spike in BG levels perhaps within the first 30mins of eating them.

Personally they are both too high in carbohydrates for my liking and I am not sure I could enjoy eating ordinary Cornflakes without a dusting of sugar or sweetener, so I would find an alternative breakfast. The Eat Natural brand do a Low Carb Granola which is just 34g carbs per 100g (I have a 40g serving which is just 13.6g carbs, so less than half the carbs in cornflakes) and it is tasty and satisfying.

Lucylemonpip

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mmmmmm, crunchy nut cornflakes. Yum! Ah, those were the days.......

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
so as Mike says, the Glycaemic index of the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes is much higher than ordinary ones and the sugars will hit your blood stream faster resulting in a sudden spike in BG levels perhaps within the first 30mins of eating them.
Weirdly... that’s exactly what I wasn’t saying. A bowl of table sugar, on average, will hit the bloodstream SLOWER than regular cornflakes.

I was quoting from memory... A quick google suggests 81 for regular cornflakes and 72 for crunchy nut.

So cornflakes are so fast that adding sugar (65) or honey (40-64) actually SLOWS it down :eek:

Of course... that does perhaps rather make me question the wisdom of either cornflakes or crunchy nut as a regular start to the day...

BUT

Averages of 100 strangers matter less than what happens for @Spook as an individual :)

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you are type one can you just eat, test adjust insulin rather than change the food like a type two?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As you are type one can you just eat, test adjust insulin rather than change the food like a type two?
Well in theory yes... but there are some glucose-disruptive foods that are worth the extra guesswork about prebolus timing and the likely BG shenanigans that follow - for me breakfast isnt on that list!