Control solution for meters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they have to be to a certain standard, but suppose like all things they can go astray.
If you're testing in order to find out how much insulin one needsor as a type 1 accuracy is very important. If like myself you're testing just to keep an eye on blood glucose readings in order to make changes or avoid high carb high sugar to ensure a better HbA1c it's not as vital well to me personally as long as I am in range most of the time I'm happy.

As for your lancets they are just a device for pricking your finger and not specific to the monitor. Many people reuse their lancets and a box will last 2 lifetimes.
I always thought reusing lancets was not a good idea as it would be blunt and hurt more. Not specific to the meter but usually only fit a specific lancet device unless people don't use them just prick with lancet alone?

It would be good if test strips were universal then one could purchase the cheaper ones rather than being limited to strips specific to their meter but doubt that will happen.

I always thought reusing lancets was not a good idea as it would be blunt and hurt more. Not specific to the meter but usually only fit a specific lancet device unless people don't use them just prick with lancet alone?

It would be good if test strips were universal then one could purchase the cheaper ones rather than being limited to strips specific to their meter but doubt that will happen.
The monitors suggested here are ones that have the cheaper test strips as there an be a huge difference in the cost of strips. I suppose each monitor uses subtlety different technology, I believe it is based on an enzyme reaction.
It takes a lot of pricks to make the lancet blunt. I personally just hold the lancet in my hand much less failure and phaffing that using the device. Doesn't hurt at all and I could get 100x as much blood than is needed for the strip.

I always thought reusing lancets was not a good idea as it would be blunt and hurt more.
I use the 0.5 depth setting on my fingerprick meter, prick at least 5 times a day when not using a libre sensor so most of the time I’m fingerpricking. Change lancet maybe 2-3 times a year and never had any pain, no infections, never had to turn depth up beyond 0.5. In 15 years that is.

I don't think any of the meters I have had came with control solution. You can call the manufacturer and ask them to send you some if you have reason to believe that the meter isn't working right.

I guess the control solutions would go out of date, and would need to be discarded once opened, so it's not really a routine bit of meter use - more a way to check if things seem out of kilter?

I bought the strips separately. There were 10 lancets in the box and I bought two boxes of 100 each for £4.99 each. When I had my old meter it came with a control solution last time I used it was for the strips before last. No idea where it is
- msy have used it up.

My readings since I started using the new meter have ranged from 4.8 to 7. Tbh I did not use control solution for the last batch of test strips with my old meter.

Just curious as to why they recommend using control solution then don't pack any in the box.
Probably expiry dates

My GlucoRX Nexus Mini (issued by practice nurse) came with 10 strips and a pot of control solution

I don't think any of the meters I have had came with control solution. You can call the manufacturer and ask them to send you some if you have reason to believe that the meter isn't working right.

I guess the control solutions would go out of date, and would need to be discarded once opened, so it's not really a routine bit of meter use - more a way to check if things seem out of kilter?
Yes they go out of date after a certain time, and also say to be discarded a certain time after opening (mine has a space on the label for you to write the date opened)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back