Control solution for meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I bought my meter at the weekend it had the meter, case, lancet device, logbook and owner's booklet but no control solution.

Now in the owner's manual it says they recommend testing with control solution to ensure meter is accurate so is this really necessary because if it was surely a bottle would have been included? On the box it says no coding which I was informed meant meter could be used straight from the box - I have tested without the solution but can I be sure the results are accurate.

When I asked on a Diabetes FB group someone said they didn't know what I was on about!

You can probably get the control solution from them if you wish, some manufacturers (e.g. GlucoRX) give it for free, others charge.

Were there any test strips in the meter case or were they separate? If they were separate then I'm wondering if it's to keep everything in the meter pack "undated" as control solution expires, as do strips.

I think many here don't use control solution to check each batch of strips. I do because (a) I have a GlucoRX Nexus Mini so can just request solution free and (b) I'm more comfortable doing that because of my background in nursing.

Don't know of any meters that come with a test solution, but that's not to say none do. Spirit Healthcare who distribute my Caresens Duo provide it for free on their web site, so check your manufacturer. But it's not essential & probably only of use if you're getting lots of questionable results. I ordered some when a new batch of strips seemed to be reading high, but they were still within tolerance.

Meters aren't that accurate anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have used probably 10 different meters over the years.
None have included test solution.

I was once given some by my DSN but after checking my meter once and finding it was accurate "enough", I never used it again.

I have used probably 10 different meters over the years.
None have included test solution.

I was once given some by my DSN but after checking my meter once and finding it was accurate "enough", I never used it again.
Ditto.

I religiously tested a test strip from each new pot with my first meter (Gluco RX Nexus) as it came with control solution. I believe it is more about testing the control strips than the meter and the range it has to be within is surprisingly wide but then that reflects the limitations of the meter and strips to be within 15%. My current Caresens meter, the pots have ranges for 2 control solutions, a low and a high. The low solution should read between 2.1 and 3.7mmols and the high range is between 11.6 and 15.7mmols.
I have never tested the Caresens test strips in 3.5 years of using them because the kit didn't come with control solutions and I learned from others on this forum that most people never test.

You can probably get the control solution from them if you wish, some manufacturers (e.g. GlucoRX) give it for free, others charge.

Were there any test strips in the meter case or were they separate? If they were separate then I'm wondering if it's to keep everything in the meter pack "undated" as control solution expires, as do strips.

I think many here don't use control solution to check each batch of strips. I do because (a) I have a GlucoRX Nexus Mini so can just request solution free and (b) I'm more comfortable doing that because of my background in nursing.
I bought the strips separately. There were 10 lancets in the box and I bought two boxes of 100 each for £4.99 each. When I had my old meter it came with a control solution last time I used it was for the strips before last. No idea where it is
- msy have used it up.

My readings since I started using the new meter have ranged from 4.8 to 7. Tbh I did not use control solution for the last batch of test strips with my old meter.

Just curious as to why they recommend using control solution then don't pack any in the box.

I religiously tested a test strip from each new pot with my first meter (Gluco RX Nexus) as it came with control solution. I believe it is more about testing the control strips than the meter and the range it has to be within is surprisingly wide but then that reflects the limitations of the meter and strips to be within 15%. My current Caresens meter, the pots have ranges for 2 control solutions, a low and a high. The low solution should read between 2.1 and 3.7mmols and the high range is between 11.6 and 15.7mmols.
I have never tested the Caresens test strips in 3.5 years of using them because the kit didn't come with control solutions and I learned from others on this forum that most people never test.
Are control strips different to the usual strips? Doesn't say much for their confidence about the meters if they are suggesting using control .I feel more relaxed knowing noone else is using a solution.

Last edited:
When I bought my meter at the weekend it had the meter, case, lancet device, logbook and owner's booklet but no control solution.

Now in the owner's manual it says they recommend testing with control solution to ensure meter is accurate so is this really necessary because if it was surely a bottle would have been included? On the box it says no coding which I was informed meant meter could be used straight from the box - I have tested without the solution but can I be sure the results are accurate.

When I asked on a Diabetes FB group someone said they didn't know what I was on about!
I've had quite a few meters over the years and have never bothered with "control solution.

I've had quite a few meters over the years and have never bothered with "control solution.
When I was first diagnosed I was given a One Touch Ultra meter but that no longer works not sure if I had control solution don't remember. No idea what happened to the solution for the Fine Test Lite meter.

Are control strips different to the usual strips? Doesn't say much for their confidence about the meters if they are suggesting using control .I feel more relaxed knowing noone else is using a solution.
Sorry, I should have typed "test strips", not control strips. You are testing the regular test strips for accuracy, not the meter and control strips do not exist except as a typo

Control solution did use to be included in packaging, had fair few meters over years but its while since they've been included with meter.

Can't remember last time requested solution or used it, guess is if you want some ring company up & request some.

Sorry, I should have typed "test strips", not control strips. You are testing the regular test strips for accuracy, not the meter and control strips do not exist except as a typo
No worries. How would they be inaccurate though unless damaged and you wouldn't use them if they were.

Control solution did use to be included in packaging, had fair few meters over years but its while since they've been included with meter.

Can't remember last time requested solution or used it, guess is if you want some ring company up & request some.
Don't want any just confused as to why some use it, some don't and if it's really necessary.

Don't want any just confused as to why some use it, some don't and if it's really necessary.

Many years ago one dsn use to get annoyed that I'd never test accuracy of meter using control solution, thing is never found stuff to be that reliable anyway.

Many years ago one dsn use to get annoyed that I'd never test accuracy of meter using control solution, thing is never found stuff to be that reliable anyway.
Never saw the point in control solution as the meter is either good enough to use straight away or it's not.

Last edited:
As for your lancets they are just a device for pricking your finger and not specific to the monitor. Many people reuse their lancets and a box will last 2 lifetimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back