Continuous spikes after breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did I open my big mouth. The Libra is a flash monitor, you attach it to your arm then scan for the last eight hours of blood glucose. They are not supported by the NHS and cost about £100 for a months worth of monitoring. It helps identify trends and may be of use to find the moment that your blood is rising.

Wow, sounds like it would be great to monitor sugar levels over a longer timeframe. Is there a reason it isn't supported by the NHS? (I'm guessing cost?)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, I will start simple I think and try altering what I eat combined with a 30 min wait between injecting and eating. Start off small and work my way up! 🙂

Wow, sounds like it would be great to monitor sugar levels over a longer timeframe. Is there a reason it isn't supported by the NHS? (I'm guessing cost?)

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, I will start simple I think and try altering what I eat combined with a 30 min wait between injecting and eating. Start off small and work my way up! 🙂
It is good but has an issue with lower readings, Abbott admit this and therefore you should not rely on it for correcting hypo's, DVLA don't recognise it yet. A lot of users really like it and it is on my list of things to get once I get a new pony on prescription. Certainly if I get able enough to ride again then I will get one. You can also use an android phone as a reader.

It is good but has an issue with lower readings, Abbott admit this and therefore you should not rely on it for correcting hypo's, DVLA don't recognise it yet. A lot of users really like it and it is on my list of things to get once I get a new pony on prescription. Certainly if I get able enough to ride again then I will get one. You can also use an android phone as a reader.

Completely read that as you were getting a new pony on prescription...lol wishful thinking! Definitely sounds interesting, particularly as I tend to go high rather than low but I suppose in correcting the issues with going high I may be more prone than usual to hypos!

Completely read that as you were getting a new pony on prescription...lol wishful thinking! Definitely sounds interesting, particularly as I tend to go high rather than low but I suppose in correcting the issues with going high I may be more prone than usual to hypos!
From my understanding, calibrate the thing with finger pricks and also make sure you use normal tests for driving, then it is really good. I am working hard to persuade the NHS to provide a therapy pony, but concede I will probably have to self fund that one.

Is there a reason it isn't supported by the NHS? (I'm guessing cost?)

Yes, NICE has yet to do any evaluation on it, so it cannot make any recommendations on whether or not it should be prescribed.

Hi Sprogladite, just caught up with this. I use a Libre sensor and reader when I'm riding, because it means I can test blood sugars easily with a quick swipe when in the saddle. I usually find my levels go up if I'm doing something either that gets the adrenaline going ( eg jumping - I only do low stuff but it's still scary!) or surprisingly when I'm concentrating hard in a flatwork lesson. Hacking it tends to be more even, and I've gone low when riding a plod that's needed a lot of chivvying up. It survived being bucked off the other week, though we did pancake land in a softish stubblefield. The Libre is a fairly new product, and is only just being evaluated in hospital clinics, so probably won't be approved for NHS use for a while, and then probably only selectively, on grounds of cost. I fund a sensor part of the time, ( they last for two weeks) when I'm on holiday, or whenever I want to do a thorough check on my basal levels ( it's really useful to get a trace for the whole night without having to wake up and finger prick.)

Hi Sprogladite, just caught up with this. I use a Libre sensor and reader when I'm riding, because it means I can test blood sugars easily with a quick swipe when in the saddle. I usually find my levels go up if I'm doing something either that gets the adrenaline going ( eg jumping - I only do low stuff but it's still scary!) or surprisingly when I'm concentrating hard in a flatwork lesson. Hacking it tends to be more even, and I've gone low when riding a plod that's needed a lot of chivvying up. It survived being bucked off the other week, though we did pancake land in a softish stubblefield. The Libre is a fairly new product, and is only just being evaluated in hospital clinics, so probably won't be approved for NHS use for a while, and then probably only selectively, on grounds of cost. I fund a sensor part of the time, ( they last for two weeks) when I'm on holiday, or whenever I want to do a thorough check on my basal levels ( it's really useful to get a trace for the whole night without having to wake up and finger prick.)

Thanks Robin that's really helpful and makes a lot of sense. I would be less concerned with the sensor, it looks a lot smaller than a pump from what I can see but as you say if you need to self fund I'm sure that cost gets painful after a while. I'd certainly be interested in trialing it...maybe I should ask for the starter pack for Christmas.

Owen, if you need a signature on a petition asking for therapy ponies, count me in!!! 😉

Thanks Robin that's really helpful and makes a lot of sense. I would be less concerned with the sensor, it looks a lot smaller than a pump from what I can see but as you say if you need to self fund I'm sure that cost gets painful after a while. I'd certainly be interested in trialing it...maybe I should ask for the starter pack for Christmas.

Owen, if you need a signature on a petition asking for therapy ponies, count me in!!! 😉
I feel obliged to state that I have collected a few over the years, although in my defence, I have given two to my twins, one is not mine and my section A is a pasture ornament, I therefore would like a new quarter horse that will be loved and looked after and would be going to a very good cause. I have decided to just buy one sensor, run it off the phone, therefore only investing £57-Vat. Then if I like it, maybe go for the starter pack.

I feel obliged to state that I have collected a few over the years, although in my defence, I have given two to my twins, one is not mine and my section A is a pasture ornament, I therefore would like a new quarter horse that will be loved and looked after and would be going to a very good cause. I have decided to just buy one sensor, run it off the phone, therefore only investing £57-Vat. Then if I like it, maybe go for the starter pack.

Sounds reasonable enough to me, I have three - one retired, one baby and one middle aged dope on a rope who thinks 30 mins of riding is tough going! Lol.

So are you saying that you can buy just the sensor and then use the app on the phone instead of a reader?

Sounds reasonable enough to me, I have three - one retired, one baby and one middle aged dope on a rope who thinks 30 mins of riding is tough going! Lol.

So are you saying that you can buy just the sensor and then use the app on the phone instead of a reader?
Yes you can do this with an Android phone.

I'm a big big fan of low carb toast and whole earth peanut butter.

Peanut butter is high calorie fatty wonder stuff (IMHO).

I'm a big big fan of low carb toast and whole earth peanut butter.

Peanut butter is high calorie fatty wonder stuff (IMHO).

I usually forgo the toast and just eat it out the jar with a spoon!

Worth noting that some of the cheaper brands actually have fewer carbs in. I think the Tesco Value peanut butter has half the carbs of Whole Earth, if memory serves correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back