Continuous spikes after breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprogladite

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I have been T1 for 21 years and have struggled in the past to keep my sugars under control. Over the last 2 years my control has improved a lot (hba1c has gone for 248 to 139). However, one thing that has never improved is the fact that after eating breakfast (plain cornflakes) I will have an enormous spike - this morning I went up to 25.3.

I suspect part of the problem is that when I was initially diagnosed I was given a lot of information that now is not considered correct - for example, I was told that eating carbohydrates was crucial to maintaining steady sugar levels at all times and that I should ensure snacks and meals all were carby. Clearly that is not the case any more or the kind of information that is being given out!

Another issue is that I am allergic to levemir and therefore have gone onto glargine; however my control just isn't as good on glargine no matter what I do!

I have had some background retinopathy which was being monitored at the eye clinic, and there has been no progression (or improvement) of this. After a year of no changes, the hospital discharged me from the eye clinic.

I am now starting to get neuropathic pain in my feet (burning/prickling sensation in my heel) and obviously I am concerned. The advice I get from the "experts" is conflicted and leaves me more confused than anything.

The good news is that I am now at the stage where I will only go really high after breakfast - for the rest of the day I will be in a good range (normally 5 - 6, I go up to 8 after lunch and then back down over the afternoon). What can I do to reduce these spikes after breakfast? I really need some help in getting this under control before the damage is irreparable.

Any and all advice would be greatly welcomed, thank you!

Hi all,

I have been T1 for 21 years and have struggled in the past to keep my sugars under control. Over the last 2 years my control has improved a lot (hba1c has gone for 248 to 139). However, one thing that has never improved is the fact that after eating breakfast (plain cornflakes) I will have an enormous spike - this morning I went up to 25.3.

I suspect part of the problem is that when I was initially diagnosed I was given a lot of information that now is not considered correct - for example, I was told that eating carbohydrates was crucial to maintaining steady sugar levels at all times and that I should ensure snacks and meals all were carby. Clearly that is not the case any more or the kind of information that is being given out!

Another issue is that I am allergic to levemir and therefore have gone onto glargine; however my control just isn't as good on glargine no matter what I do!

I have had some background retinopathy which was being monitored at the eye clinic, and there has been no progression (or improvement) of this. After a year of no changes, the hospital discharged me from the eye clinic.

I am now starting to get neuropathic pain in my feet (burning/prickling sensation in my heel) and obviously I am concerned. The advice I get from the "experts" is conflicted and leaves me more confused than anything.

The good news is that I am now at the stage where I will only go really high after breakfast - for the rest of the day I will be in a good range (normally 5 - 6, I go up to 8 after lunch and then back down over the afternoon). What can I do to reduce these spikes after breakfast? I really need some help in getting this under control before the damage is irreparable.

Any and all advice would be greatly welcomed, thank you!
Ditch the cornflakes, you might as well eat sugar mice. I have porridge or yogurt with blueberries or strawberries. Never have an issue. There may be other options that suit you.

Definitely try something else in the morning....

How big a portion of the corn flakes are you having...?

how long are you waiting between breakfast injection and eating?

Some people find they have foot on ground syndrome ie., as soon as your feet touch the ground n rising their sugars go up. So have you skipped breakfast or delayed it to see if this is the case? Perhaps look at your ratio as well and also the timing of your insulin, many find they have to inject more than 30 mins before they eat breakfast.
Another option is find a more suitable breakfast as cornflakes are very spikey carby.

Thank you for all your replies 🙂

Finding something else to eat in the morning is one of the issues I have. I am ridiculously fussy and I have limited options at work. It's only a small bowl but I have found I spike even when it is fruit/yogurt and I'm then left hungry and high! I've tried injecting and eating straight away and I've tried injecting, waiting for 15 minutes and then eating - I've spiked just as high with both. I've never waited for more than 15 mins so maybe I will try 30 mins next.

I've also tried skipping breakfast entirely, spend my morning hangry and then end up at 19 - 20 by lunchtime. Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall at the moment!

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for what I could try for breakfast? Porridge is a no go, I've done fruit/yogurt, tried scrambled eggs...I am running out of ideas!

Hi Welcome. If you could give us an idea of what you prefer to eat and what's available I'm sure we can come up with plenty of ideas.

are you on target before eating breakfast..?

you should definitely try going longer than fifteen minutes, thats a minimum for me....

Yes, I'm normally at around 4 or 5 when I wake up, and then by the time I'm at work it's 6 or 7ish. So it's quite possible the foot on ground syndrome is happening!

In terms of breakfast foods, anything wheaty/grainy/oaty is not an option (I have tried eating porridge, it literally just makes me gag lol). I'm not big on salads but will do it if I must. Otherwise the only other thing I can't do is nuts. Saying that though I am on a caffeine free diet because I also suffer from migraines!

What about a continental style with cheese meats and perhaps some coleslaw. You could even chuck in some berries. Or Lizi's granola.

What about a continental style with cheese meats and perhaps some coleslaw. You could even chuck in some berries. Or Lizi's granola.

That's a good idea and one I haven't tried yet, thank you! Will give it a go 🙂

Another option is to get out of the mindset that at breakfast, you can only eat certain foods. If your evening meals aren't giving you BG issues, why not just have some of the leftovers for breakfast?

Another option is to get out of the mindset that at breakfast, you can only eat certain foods. If your evening meals aren't giving you BG issues, why not just have some of the leftovers for breakfast?

That is very true and something I hadn't considered. Leftovers are pretty scarce in my house though so I'll have to make bigger portions instead lol!

How about egg and bacon? When I have time it's my breakfast of choice as no carbs and particularly yummy 🙂

Yes, I'm normally at around 4 or 5 when I wake up, and then by the time I'm at work it's 6 or 7ish. So it's quite possible the foot on ground syndrome is happening!
I know some people inject insulin when they get up and then do their breakfast bolus as normal. Is that an option or do you drive to work and this would cause a problem?

Have you considered an insulin pump as this could solve your problem?

I walk and get the train to work so it could be a potential option (approx 30 mins walking, 1 hr 30 commute). I have also considered an insulin pump but the thing that really puts me off is that I go horse riding frequently (2-3 times a week) and the thought of falling onto one really scares me. I had a fall nearly 4 weeks ago that was hard enough to break my ribs and I just don't think that would be a good thing with a pump! Saying that, I don't make a habit of throwing myself off a horse at high speed but the nature of the sport means you can never quite predict if it's going to happen lol

I walk and get the train to work so it could be a potential option (approx 30 mins walking, 1 hr 30 commute). I have also considered an insulin pump but the thing that really puts me off is that I go horse riding frequently (2-3 times a week) and the thought of falling onto one really scares me. I had a fall nearly 4 weeks ago that was hard enough to break my ribs and I just don't think that would be a good thing with a pump! Saying that, I don't make a habit of throwing myself off a horse at high speed but the nature of the sport means you can never quite predict if it's going to happen lol
@Robin rides, not sure on pump but definitely uses Libra sensor. I would be reluctant to pump due to potential riding fall, however I do prefer to stay on nowadays. The other thing you might want to try, is adjusting your basal time forwards by few hours. I basal at about 5pm, this seems to help me avoid glucose dumps. Another thought is perhaps a mini breakfast followed by another a couple of hours later.

I used to ride and run my own stud farm never had a problem with a pump being in situ, like you I have come off a few times without a parachute 🙂 Just make sure pump is tucked down your bra and you wear a body protector.

@Robin rides, not sure on pump but definitely uses Libra sensor. I would be reluctant to pump due to potential riding fall, however I do prefer to stay on nowadays. The other thing you might want to try, is adjusting your basal time forwards by few hours. I basal at about 5pm, this seems to help me avoid glucose dumps. Another thought is perhaps a mini breakfast followed by another a couple of hours later.

What is a Libra sensor? I have never heard of it!

Its a non invasive BG meter, it wont solve your issue unfortunately....but good device though...

What is a Libra sensor? I have never heard of it!
Why did I open my big mouth. The Libra is a flash monitor, you attach it to your arm then scan for the last eight hours of blood glucose. They are not supported by the NHS and cost about £100 for a months worth of monitoring. It helps identify trends and may be of use to find the moment that your blood is rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back