Continuous Glucose Monitors

And Libre is much more widely used so easier to get help or advice when you might want help.

I agree with you, the nhs, these providers and actually anyone else who can improve diabetes care can have my health data.
I want them to use it and make it better for us all now and to prevent diabetes/ help with a cure / treatment etc in the future.
Recently my daughter took part in one of the university screening programs for type 1. They consent and personal data information provided was really great. Only minimal data was needed for the test to be completed / get the results back etc.
But the availability to share anonymous or other data with researchers to prevent and treat these conditions makes research what it is. She’s 13 so is capable of making these decisions on her own. And she said she would rather share it and help diabetics than not.

What can someone do with information about your glucose levels anyway?
I dont understand what harm you think this can put you under?
Each to their own but if you are using the internet in anyway, have a record with the nhs or another public body, bank etc your data has been leaked so many times and is already on the black web, it really doesn’t make much difference these days
All our data is out there if you know where to look.
Best you can do is change your passwords regularly and be vigilant. But not sharing data when it adds benefit to you or others doesn’t make sense in my opinion.

Also just use the reader not your phone
🙂

I am wearing a Sinocare monitor at the moment - not sure its the best but you get them off Amazon. It costs £52 for 15 days so I don't have one all the time - too expensive.. You need to follow instructions well when setting it up and I read my figures off my iPhone. I think its important to understand what is good and bad foodwise and we seem to all be different.
I would advise going for a walk immediately after your main meal which cuts down the spike.
You can set the monitor to bleep when it goes over a figure mine is set from 5 to 10 so it bleeps outside this range if within 6 meteres I think. Seems to catch up on missed readings when you next get in range.
It also has a do not disturb feature which is good when you leave you phone downstairs out of range and it wants to warn you at 2am!
I would probably use one for a month and then just once every 3 months to see how you are doing. It is expensive but at least you will have better health. My problem is portion sizes, wine, chocolate and I stay off bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. Walking helps keep figures down - I don't think you need to be an athlete.
If you do want to do a run of these, it's much cheaper to go with the Dexcom ONE+

Dexcom offer a subscription model, directly from their site. If you opt for a month's sub, they ship you a box of 3 which lasts for a total of 30 days (3 x 10 days). The price for the month (3 units) works out as £100, less the £16 VAT exemption for having diabetes.

From my understanding (You'd have to confirm), you can cancel the subscription any time and depending on how you intend to spread out the usage the shelf-life of sealed units should hopefully cover the extended period.

How the Dexcom compares to the Sinocare is something I don't know.

I don't want to get into a peripheral, and possibly rule-violating (never cross a moderator!), discussion about basic privacy. It seems Abbott don't have access to your data unless you let them. I don't know about the others.

Beyond that, thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm on a pretty steep learning curve here.

Back