Contact lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m 53 and got my first contact lenses when I was 18. They were solid ones. I could pop them out, lick them and put them back in
Then moved to gas permeable ones that were hard but needed to be stored in little bottles you dropped a cleaning tablet into to descale them.
Soft lenses were a revelation after those monstrosities and daily disposable ones are almost as if there’s nothing in my eyes at all. Unless I’ve mistakenly put them in the wrong eyes or they’re inside out of course!

It’s good to read of others who’ve had vari/multi focal lenses. Had to move the appointment back a few weeks though but I’m curious to try them.
@Philomena are yours like conventional varifocal, so are they weighted with the bottom but for reading, or are they the multi focal ones with the concentric rings of different powers?

@ColinUK , haha, I’ve not been averse to cleaning them with a quick lick in the past, either!! I once slept in them after a jolly evening of drinking and it took me ages to dig them off my eyeballs as they’d dried and were stuck on like glue! That was years ago in my youth and it never happened again. Grim!
I’ve never had any problem with wearing the rigid gas-permeable lenses and I wouldn’t personally be happy about using disposables due to the ‘throwaway’ aspect of them. And to be honest the rigid lenses are much better for the level of astigmatism I have. The routine of cleaning them is a bit of a bind but is part of my daily ritual so isn’t a bother....I’m just so grateful for them as I hate, with a vengeance, wearing specs!
The lenses I wear are one for near vision, the other for long vision. No idea what the actual proper name for them is though! The eyes work out for themselves how best to focus and there’s obviously a different prescription for each eye.
I'm having my annual eye test next week so may well see if the optician suggests different lenses this time as the technology has moved on and there’s so many different options now depending on one’s prescription and personal circumstances.

@Philomena I doubt that there’s one contact lens wearer who hasn’t fallen asleep with them in one time or another!

Fascinating that your lenses are one of each. The tech has almost certainly moved on. There seems to be three different types of multifocus contacts these days...

Concentric and aspheric aren’t weighted but the segmented ones have to be because they’re like “traditional” bifocals.

C3DF9188-22AB-4A0E-91D2-6E30F7ADD079.png

Thank you...that‘s so interesting, @ColinUK . I‘d imagine my options are restricted due to the fact that I wear the rigid gas-permeables but if you’re a soft lens wearer you have so many choices. Amazing technology, isnt it!!

How much are varifocal contact lenses? I always keep meaning to ask about trying contact lenses just for occasional use, as they would be better for peripheral vision in a motorcycle helmet, but never do. I assume too expensive?

Mind, I do not know why I bother with varifocal glasses, as I still mostly have to take them off to read. They are fine for simple tasks, like reading a bus timetable, but actually sitting down to read something I end up feeling eye strain.

My eyesight is not great at the moment with my glucose out of control, but there is nothing I can do about it until that is resolved.

How much are varifocal contact lenses? I always keep meaning to ask about trying contact lenses just for occasional use, as they would be better for peripheral vision in a motorcycle helmet, but never do. I assume too expensive?

Mind, I do not know why I bother with varifocal glasses, as I still mostly have to take them off to read. They are fine for simple tasks, like reading a bus timetable, but actually sitting down to read something I end up feeling eye strain.

My eyesight is not great at the moment with my glucose out of control, but there is nothing I can do about it until that is resolved.
Looking at the vision express website they’re about £20 for a months supply.
I’m sure there are online only places like Daysoft who would be cheaper.

That is a lot less than I expected! When I am able to go for an eye test I will definitely try to make sure to ask this time.

I am short sighted with astigmatism and wore contacts for over 35 years, I had gas permeable lenses, they corrected astigmatism much better than glasses.
When I started to need readers over the top I tried varifocal contacts but they didn't really work for me so now have varifocal glasses.
Interestingly on a recent eye test I have gone from -4.5 to -3.5 since stopping wearing contacts so eyesight has actually improved! The optician said this can happen but not usually by so much in 1 year!
Most opticians will offer you a free trial of varifocal contacts so worth doing this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back