Contact lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
An email popped into my inbox reminding me to get an eye test. I’m thinking of exploring varifocal contact lenses because face masks and specs are a pain.
I’ve got contacts but need very long arms in order to read anything up close because lord only knows where my reading specs are!

Question: I know we qualify for free eye tests but does this extend to contact lens tests too?

And it’s been so long I’ve had a contact lens test I’ve zero idea what the usual cost is these days so does anyone have a clue?

Do we qualify for free eye tests? I've just booked one (can't get me in until middle of next month). They asked if i have to pay and i said yes

Just rang them and they confirmed. Thanks @ColinUK . Hope you get your contact lens test free too

Do we qualify for free eye tests? I've just booked one (can't get me in until middle of next month). They asked if i have to pay and i said yes
With a diagnosis of diabetes we’re entitled to free eye tests at local opticians. You have to pay extra for any superduper screening they may offer though. Specsavers have an advanced optical scanner gizmo and that’s £10 on top of the standard charge. So for us it’s just the £10 cost. Tell your opticians that you have diabetes.

What about dentist? Although i have had check ups since being diagnosed and they know i'm type 1, they haven't said anything. Mind you, i rarely eat anything sweet now so not much chance of teeth rotting or falling out

What about dentist? Although i have had check ups since being diagnosed and they know i'm type 1, they haven't said anything. Mind you, i rarely eat anything sweet now so not much chance of teeth rotting or falling out
Nope afraid not xx

Sorry @ColinUK you will have to pay for your contact lens test and you’ll need one at least once a year. We’re only entitled to a standard eye test, if your want a photo taken you would generally have to pay for that too. In my last job I worked at an opticians and dealt with the NHS claim forms. In my opticians, which is independent, the test was £25 I think but if you got your contacts regularly and paid DD monthly it was included in the price. If you wanted them ad hoc it was to pay for. Of course this is ooop North so I would expect the prices in London will be at least double. 😳

Last edited:
We still have to pay for the dentist I’m afraid unless you’re on certain benefits I believe.

Sorry @ColinUK you will have to pay for your contact lens test and you’ll need one at least once a year. We’re only entitled to a standard eye test, if your want a photo taken you would generally have to pay for that too. In my last job I worked at an opticians and dealt with the NHS claim forms.
How about if I just send you a really close up pic of my eye?!

How about if I just send you a really close up pic of my eye?!
😛 I was only a humble receptionist and I actually can’t stand anything to do with eyes! :(

😛 I was only a humble receptionist and I actually can’t stand anything to do with eyes! :(
Humble you may have been but I’m sure they couldn’t have run the place without you!

Humble you may have been but I’m sure they couldn’t have run the place without you!
They definitely couldn’t have. I was/ am mega organised ( OCD/anal) it’s gone downhill since I retired! 😉

I had the fancy OCT test at Specsavers. It was them that first sent me to the GP and ultimately my diagnosis. No idea if that was the standard image or the OCT though.

I had the fancy OCT test at Specsavers. It was them that first sent me to the GP and ultimately my diagnosis. No idea if that was the standard image or the OCT though.
I’ve had a recent enhanced test at Specsavers (with the fancy camera thing) but wasn’t ready to talk about varifocal contacts then. I’m going back to the same branch for the contact lens appointment so won’t need a new eye test add that was post my T2 diagnosis.

I’m thinking of varifocal glasses this time (was due an eye test in March).

I had no idea they did varifocal contacts! The mind boggles o_O

I’m thinking of varifocal glasses this time (was due an eye test in March).

I had no idea they did varifocal contacts! The mind boggles o_O
They do ones which are weighted and the lens is like typical bifocal and others which aren’t weighted and have circles of differing focal length covering the whole lens.
Contact lenses have moved on a pace since my first pair. I had to wash them with washing up liquid!

I can't have contacts as I have astygmatism. They still don't do weird shaped ones for folk like me without circular eyeballs!

I can't have contacts as I have astygmatism. They still don't do weird shaped ones for folk like me without circular eyeballs!
Daughter has lenses, with her astigmatism, they are Toric lenses, which are weighted at the bottom, so swivel themselves the same way up all the time.

I’m shortsighted with severe astigmatism and have worn contacts for the last 40 years. @ColinUK I wear varifocals and I really recommend them. Although they’re not perfect they tick all the boxes....I can read close up, and see afar, very well and they allow me to get on with life so easily and clearly! Definitely worth discussing with your optician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back