Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I think this is the important bit above (bolded by me) and also probably the reason for the GTT. The doctor at this stage didn’t know @SophieP had impending Type 2. They were looking into the episodes of low sugar that Sophie told them about. That would entail a) proving her sugar was actually low; and b) getting some actual numbers for the sugars.

There are a number of (non-diabetic) medical conditions that can cause hypoglycaemia, eg an insulinoma, a problem with the adrenal glands, etc. So Sophie was given a meter to gain further information in case she had something serious wrong with her. The comparator isn’t people with Type 2, it’s people (who aren’t diabetic and not on glucose-lowering meds) complaining of unexplained episodes of hypoglycaemia.

Sophie’s experience makes total sense to me 🙂
Thank you. You are right. Diabetes was never considered because my bloods were normal and the problem was low sugar, not high. I only noticed they were low initially because my ex was type 1 and suggested my symptoms (shaky, sweaty etc) were very similar to a hypo and when he tested me with his own kit the readings were lower than they should be.

I haven't been pre-diabetic so this diagnosis has come as a huge shock. I suppose my experience has been different because the doctors are actually investigating other things and Diabetes has been found along the way.

Welcome to the forum @SophieP

Apologies about the barrage of questions you’ve received since sharing your story. It’s an unusual one, as you can probably tell, and several members here have had many years on this and various other diabetes forums, so are used to the common themes among newcomers’ experiences. So when someone arrives who doesn’t fit any of the standard themes the hive mind’s interest is piqued, and exploratory questions ensue.

I hope it didn’t come across as unfriendly, or that you were being doubted. “Nobody expects the forum inquisition!!” etc etc.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Feeling devastated and overwhelmed is a very common reaction. Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

Were you told the result of your HbA1c? That’s a handy number to know as a starting point.

How regularly have you been having HbA1c checks? Were they all classed as ‘normal’ during the period when you were having the hypos?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back