Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
No i wasn't driving, my friend was . I did have my meter but didn't check it there and then ( felt pressured as was at the check out . Idiot , i know ) I was only 5 mins from home so took it as soon as i got in. I know.. another lesson learnt x
It doesn’t matter where you are, if you feel odd, test. If you need to go somewhere quieter until you’re more confident, eg the loo to wash your hands so you can test, then do that. But it’s fine to test wherever you are in pretty much all scenarios. You’ll feel confident about it in no time.

If you had been driving, then delaying the test from when you’re at the checkout to when you got in the car could have been the difference between catching your bgs in the low 4s (where you can snack then drive without waiting), and catching the hypo when it’s under 4, which would have meant you weren’t 5 minutes from home as if your friend wasn’t driving you’d have had to wait pretty much an hour before driving home.

If you feel low and really can’t test, have the hypo treatment anyway and then wash hands and test after as soon as you can. Being safe is more important than following the standard procedure.

I've some medical alcohll free wipes in with my meter so i can clean hands if i can't wash them, or its middle of night and don't want to traipse to bathroom.
It will be a lot easier when you have a libre sensor. If you don't know when you'll get one prescribed you can buy off amazon...to be honest the early days are those where its most important. About £50 a fortnight...you may be able to get free trial?
Oh, and i found a reliable scales important...the heston blumenthal ones are great
it does get easier!
It doesn’t matter where you are, if you feel odd, test. If you need to go somewhere quieter until you’re more confident, eg the loo to wash your hands so you can test, then do that. But it’s fine to test wherever you are in pretty much all scenarios. You’ll feel confident about it in no time.

If you had been driving, then delaying the test from when you’re at the checkout to when you got in the car could have been the difference between catching your bgs in the low 4s (where you can snack then drive without waiting), and catching the hypo when it’s under 4, which would have meant you weren’t 5 minutes from home as if your friend wasn’t driving you’d have had to wait pretty much an hour before driving home.

If you feel low and really can’t test, have the hypo treatment anyway and then wash hands and test after as soon as you can. Being safe is more important than following the standard procedure.

I've some medical alcohll free wipes in with my meter so i can clean hands if i can't wash them, or its middle of night and don't want to traipse to bathroom.
It will be a lot easier when you have a libre sensor. If you don't know when you'll get one prescribed you can buy off amazon...to be honest the early days are those where its most important. About £50 a fortnight...you may be able to get free trial?
Oh, and i found a reliable scales important...the heston blumenthal ones are great
it does get easier!
I rarely get to wash my hands for testing. I use the first drop of blood to clean my finger by wiping that away and use the second drop for the test. The only time to do wash is if I know I have sugary hands, from sweets, (or reading the newspaper!!)

I'm sorry to be soo needy today lol BUT i have a christening tomorrow 2pm . I will have lunch before i go but how do i go about the buffet and alcohol ? Just test regularly ? xx

If you’re having lunch before you go, that’s fine 🙂 If the buffet is kind of mid-afternoon and you’ll be eating your evening meal later at home, then you could go for a few low carb buffet items plus enough carbs to ‘soak up’ the alcohol. Alcohol can send your blood sugar low, so if I’m drinking with no/low carbs, I always nibble something like crisps or crackers with my drink (for the carbs). In your case, being newly on insulin, I’d stick to one drink and test extra. I’d also test extra during the evening just in case the alcohol has a long-lasting effect.

When I’m at social events like that, I like to be a little higher than I would be at home. I don’t want low sugar to spoil my enjoyment or need attention. That’s stressful. So, test before you go/get out the car and take top-up carbs as well as your hypo treatments. Enjoy yourself 🙂

If you’re having lunch before you go, that’s fine 🙂 If the buffet is kind of mid-afternoon and you’ll be eating your evening meal later at home, then you could go for a few low carb buffet items plus enough carbs to ‘soak up’ the alcohol. Alcohol can send your blood sugar low, so if I’m drinking with no/low carbs, I always nibble something like crisps or crackers with my drink (for the carbs). In your case, being newly on insulin, I’d stick to one drink and test extra. I’d also test extra during the evening just in case the alcohol has a long-lasting effect.

When I’m at social events like that, I like to be a little higher than I would be at home. I don’t want low sugar to spoil my enjoyment or need attention. That’s stressful. So, test before you go/get out the car and take top-up carbs as well as your hypo treatments. Enjoy yourself 🙂
Thankyou <3 x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back